• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How to balance stat growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

So I've seen plenty of mapmakers balance a hero's stats by making sure that the total points they gain each level is the same across all heroes, or that in their final level, all heroes have the same total stat points, but different distributions.

Using a custom based stat/growth system however doesn't necessarily afford that way of balance (whether it's a good way to balance things or not), especially if using some non-deterministic stat growth (e.g. Fire Emblem).

So suppose I am using a non-deterministic system for stat growth. Should I just simulate the values for n levels and eyeball them?

Or actually calculate the average stats for each level and then tune it accordingly?

Level 3
Usually when I do stuff like that I just depend their stats based on their main attribute. Such as if Strength = 15 start strength 10 start other and lets say 2 strength per level and 1 added for others per level. If Agility swap the strength and agility stating. Intelligence goes the same way. Depending on the main attribute.

Though of course you would most likely not want them exact stats as shown, so you can change it up a little bit :D

Level 23
Well, from my AoS, I usually start a hero with 10 for each stat. Then I determine a total amount of point that I'll distribute, Let say 25, and then distribute that to the stats depending on the hero's role in the game. I do the same for the increase per level. Which is usually 1/5 of the distributed stats. (that 5 per level for my AoS)

Though, the balancing seriously depends on the type of map you're working on and there's probaby no definite way of balancing your hero.

Level 3
Though, the balancing seriously depends on the type of map you're working on and there's probaby no definite way of balancing your hero.

Yes that is true. The balancing does matter on what type of map that you might be working on. So the question is....

What type of map are you working on o_O

Level 15
This sounds good for deterministic stat growth, but what about non-deterministic stat growth, where a hero doesn't always get the same points per level for each attribute, e.g. he might get 2 STR at one level up, but another level up gets 4 STR.

This sounds good for deterministic stat growth, but what about non-deterministic stat growth, where a hero doesn't always get the same points per level for each attribute, e.g. he might get 2 STR at one level up, but another level up gets 4 STR.

There must be some minimum amount of stat points a hero can receive at max level, and a maximum amount of stat points at max level.
If you know these numbers you can standardize from there.

Edit:
1337 posts. Bam!

Level 25
What is important to consider is also the set of abilities hero has, range of attack as well as what type of hero it is (caster x ranged x melee x tank).
For example heroes who are more support-oriented tend to be weaker, so in the group they're the weak link, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.