1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Balance Starcraft 2

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by tagg1080, May 27, 2010.

1. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Any competitive multiplayer game needs to have rock-paper-scissor mechanics, or it isn't fun.

2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Carriers are a late game unit, they are meant to be used shortly before a game ends.

SC2 is not made for 30-60 minute matches. By the time you have a few carriers, the game end should be insight. I do not think it is blizzard's intention to let some cheap anti air guns stop expensive carriers.

Battlecruisers yamato is realtivly good against carriers as it is long range and will kill a lot of their shield / HP, same goes for broodlords. Basically their weakness (as far as I can tell) is that their main unit is not too durable if focused on. The strength is they can provide nearly endless damage absorption via infinit spawns (brood lord) and cheap aircraft (carrier). In custom maps currently I notice a lot of people falling for the trap of macro attacking them when it is more effective to focus micro attack them.

3. tagg1080

tagg1080

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know that...

It feels TOO rock-paper-scissory.

I am mid gold right now, so take my opinion for that, but I think that Star2 is less open to different builds than Star1 was.

And yes, I have been playing starcraft since release date, I still have my version 1.0 CD, actually.

4. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    it's about rock sissors paper rock sissors rock paper paper rock sissors

5. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    I played over 500 melee games and was in Platinum with Terrans (even after every reset). Currently, mech feels really strong against Zerg or at least easy to execute (as others have mentioned). I've seen several replays with Zerg effectively countering mech though.

I haven't played with the new patch yet (lots of college stuff and galaxy editor), but it seems like most of the changes are in the right direction.

I think Blizzard should make some change to ultralisk upgrades though and Adrenal Glands.

I don't have any complaints about TvP atm other than I've always hated the Ghost vs High Templar thing. First ones to get off EMP's or Feedbacks win! Of course ghosts almost always win, but it just feels silly! Dark tech doesn't feel that glamorous, but I've seen a few games do 180's because of them. Not sure if I like it or not.

6. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, SC1 was totally so much more diverse!

TvT now is only Marine/Tank/Viking or Marine/Thor/Viking/Banshee, whereas TvT in SC1 had so many different options, such as... wait no, it was always mech+wraith+dropship.

TvP now is only MMMX (X being ghost/tank/thor/raven etc) or Marine/Tank/Viking or Marine/Hellion/Banshee vs stalker/immortal/[zealot/sentry] or stalker/colossus or void ray/stalker, whereas in SC1 it was pretty much... no, it was always mech vs zealot/dragoon/HT/arbiter/[carrier].

TvZ now is only MMMX (X being thor/ghost/raven etc) or Hellion/Tank/Thor/Raven vs Hydra/Roach/Infestor or Muta/Ling/Infestor or Speedling/Baneling/Infestor or Hydra/Muta, whereas in SC1 it was pretty much... no, it was SK Terran or mech vs Ling/Hydra/Muta/Defiler/Ultra.

Can't speak for PvP/PvZ/ZvZ since I don't play those matchups, but SC1 ZvZ was always ling/muta/scourge and PvZ was zealot/dragoon/high templar or corsair/reaver/carrier vs hydra/ling/defiler.

Nostalgia's a bitch, don't let it mislead you.