• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Back and forth attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'll just start off with saying that if this is the wrong forum/posting procedure, I apologize.

With that covered, I've recently started working on a map and I'm having a little trouble with my flamethrower unit. Basically what I want for him to do is sway to his left and right. Like, if you were holding a hose and you just gently moved it left and right over and over. That way he can cover an entire line of infantry with fire rather than focus on just one guy. Problem is, I haven't the slightest clue how to make him do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Level 15
I can't think of any non-custom model that has a swinging flame-thrower animation, so for the animation you'll probably have to make your own model or be creative with current ones. Is this for visual purposes only, or do you want to actually have your flamethrower unit deal damage in a cone shape?

Level 3
I can't think of any non-custom model that has a swinging flame-thrower animation, so for the animation you'll probably have to make your own model or be creative with current ones. Is this for visual purposes only, or do you want to actually have your flamethrower unit deal damage in a cone shape?

I don't really need an animation, mostly I just need my unit's facing to change at most. Like, imagine a line of infantry with my flamethrower guy in front of it. He starts shooting the middle guy, then moves turns side to side to spray fire on the entire line. I imagine him simply turning in place, or not turning at all. In the heat of battle the actual unit moving wont be very noticeable, I just need the fire (and thus, damage) to go back and forth.

You could use Channel as the base ability to make the unit keep the order (animation) for a while. Then use a looping trigger that modifies the facing of the unit and damages units inside a cone.

Sadly, I have no idea what you're even talking about. I'm quite noobish with the editor.

Level 9
Chaos
There's no base ability for this kind of "swinging", so in conclusion, i can see this will need triggering to solve it
And can you explain if your unit must have the normal attack or we can make it a "little" different with dummy abilities and some custom damage stuffs?
How about making a "active ability" so this have its duration or make it able to configure between modes of fire. If you make a unit facing every "0.05" seconds or so, it could be a problem controlling that unit, to make it cast spells, use item or so
That's why i'm suggesting to make a ability "morph-like" in order for the best and the easiest (That's my idea only though)

Level 3
It doesn't need to have a normal attack perse, as long as the end result is a flamethrower shooting fire everywhere. I'm not sure if you've played it, but the map World in Flames has a flamethrower infantry and that's pretty much exactly what I want from mine as well. So I'm not sure how I'd make an ability that achieved the same effect.

Level 9
Nope, i haven't played it yet.
Let me try to make some demo map/triggers in a while
But i can't guarantee my stuff would be "MUI" ~~ i'm still learning from that
Leakless? could be expected :)
There's another solution, you can visit here: http://worldinflames.se/forums/viewforum.php?f=22 to ask the creator of that map for help. The creators seem to be open-minded to showing editors the way they make stuffs :)

Level 3
Would be appreciated, I'm really ignorant on the workings of the editor as I only just picked it up a couple days ago, so pretty much anything beyond basic editing goes right over my head.

I'll also try asking the map creator if he would be willing to tell me how he got his flamethrower working, thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.