• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Babylon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Basically, a topic where you indicate which languages are you speaking and on what level.
I start here:

Bulgarian - Mother Language (18 years)
English - Proficient (11 years of studying + TOEFL and soon SAT I)
German - Intermediate (Roughly 4 years of studying of doubtful orderliness)
Dutch - Beginner (Studied a little from pure interest)
Russian - Beginner (I've learnt a lot during my linguistics courses, most problems were given in Russian)
Latin - Very limited vocabulary and grammar (Again, pure and somewhat professional interest)

Around 50 another languages on the level "several words". Most of them learnt during linguistics courses. Some are very interesting, like Ancient Manchurian or Tocharian A.

Level 7
Serbian - Super Mega Ultra Grandmaster (15.5 years)
English - Pro (But only at speaking, I'm around "Intermediate" when it comes to writing it)
Croatia - He, he
Latin - Only few phrases and words...
German - I know how to say "pig", "one", "two", "minute"...etc.

Level 35
Hungarian: 17 years
English: 10 years (No certificate, always too busy or lazy to attend)
German: 7 years (Thanks to the lacking quality of our teachers' teaching methods, I hardly know a few sentence structures and words)
Russian: 2 years of both passive and active learning with smaller interruptions, mere self-interest.
French: 2 months of fucking up the class morale, then I got kicked and switched back to German.

Level 34
Dutch - 17 (almost 18) years, mother language.
English - Second language, 7 years, too much TV yeah.
French - Boy I hate it, 2 years.
German - Better than French though since it's similar to Dutch, 3 years.

Level 13
Spanish - Been living in Spain for 11 years.
Catalan - I wonder if anyone knows about Catalan around here... anyways, 11 years of study and practice too.
Russian - 6 years living in Russia + 11 years of study, but my level isn't as good as it should be ¬¬. Only 1 hour of class each week.
English - 11 years of study and practice, currently studying for the Proficiency certificate.
French - I studied French for two years... then abandoned the lessons... and forgot nearly everything. C'est la vie.
+ Random words, expressions and phrases from many different languages including japonese, latin, chinese, german, etc.

Level 9
Well, generally, there are 17 basic hieroglyphs, each consisting of a determined number of lines, equal to its number, i.e. base 1 has 1 line, base 2 - 2 lines, etc. Their meaning is memorized by an English poem, with 17 rows. For example, base 17 means "flute" and we know that because there is a word "flute" in the 17th row of the poem.
The "keys" are built on that bases and each key has a number, which is also memorized by that poem. Thing is that I just can't remember the method and now it eats me outside because you mentioned Chinese! All I can recall right now is that the letters W, H, and Y are ignored (remember "Never mind WHY" - these letters are ignored).
Bah, if you remember what I'm talking about, I will be grateful if you tell me the method.

Level 22
English (First Language)
Korean (Not really good at it even though i am Korean)
Spanish (Took for like 4 years when i was in elementary school in California
Simplified Mandarin/French/Japanese/Spanish (Took each course per semester, its like an introduction to which language you wanted to take next year)
German (Gonna take it for 4 years, know a tiny bit.)

Level 12
Slovak (mother language)
Czech (i understand everything and can speak fluently and write good, but I dont know all about grammar)
Polish (i understand the meaning of majority, but cannot speak it, very similiar to slovak)
English (10 years, I can understand most common dialogs&texts, and with dictionary I think I can understand almost everything)
German (6 years, I HATE IT!!!, I remember words like guten tag, etc etc, i know only few basics)
Latin (2 very intensive semesters, the same hard as german, but not that ugly, most words are similiar to english, I can make dialoge with some "native" speaker if I meet some)
GUI (7 years, almost 100%)
JASS (only custom script via GUI action "custom script" like deleting leaks)

Status
Not open for further replies.