• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Awesome Unit Arena v0.1 Alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Awesome Unit Arena v0.4 Alpha

Awesome Unit Arena
v0.4 Alpha

Introduction
Welcome to my newest project - Awesome Unit Arena. It's my second map created (well, put in public at least), and it's a unit arena (same as hero arena, except you use units instead of heroes, will explain later).

In this map, i focused a lot on eye candy and special effects. Using roll angles, ability effects, animation slow and other triggered stuff, i was able to get pretty interesting effects. And another fact - NONE of the effects used in this map is imported. Everything is done by me myself.

However, the main aspect of the game is simplicity. I always say "Simple is better" because, at least for me, it is.
Gameplay
Now, how do you play the game?

Well, it's an arena, so by some logic, you control someone (or something) and fight with it.
Next, it's a unit arena. Unit arena. In hero arenas, you choose a hero and you can level up. You can get fed on that noob, get to lvl120398 with the most powerful items and beat the crap out of players that are actually good, but didn't have the luck to get fed, making the game unfair.

In this, unit arena, you can't level up, and you don't get gold, meaning that no matter how much times you killed the guy who playes this for the first time, you still need skill to kill better players, making gameplay completely dependant on skill.

Another thing is that i try not to put in any luck factors, so yeah, skill is essencial for a good game in this arena.

Units

You start with a unit selector. You are free to move the selector around so you can position yourself.
The selector has abilities which spawn the unit that you will be fighting with. So you can go hide somewhere, and be safe when you spawn, or you can ambush someone - your choice.

Currently, there are 4 units in the arena, but i intend adding a lot of them.

Fire Mage

Fire Prison - Creates a kind of prison. Units inside take damage and units touching the walls take more damage and are slowed.
Fireball - AOE version of a normal Fireball except it also spawns some small fireballs.
Fire Rain - Creates a crystal which goes up, and then falls down raining fireballs on nearby opponents. When it crashes down, it releases some small fireballs.
Fire Blast - A powerful AOE spell which deals very high damage and stuns. Simple, but effective.

This guy's role is burst AOE damage. If all 11 players come and attack him, he has a big chance to kill them all. However, his skills have a lot of cooldown, so you need to be careful not to be caught with your spells on cooldown - your damage is pathetic so don't count on it.

Goblin Mechanics

Rocket Robot - Creates a small robot which is invisible and will stay there. If someone goes by, it starts shooting rockets... a lot (if there are multiple units, it shoots at all of them). Note that the robots have a very high sight radius, so you can use them to scout as well
Rocket Barrage - Throws a rocket at the nearest enemy. Has 2500 range.
Rocket Spray - Each time the Goblin uses a spell, he throws 3 rockets at nearby units. Note : The each rocket hits a random unit within 600 area. This means that all 3 rockets can hit the same unit, or they hit different units or whatever combination
Goblin Army - Creates 5 goblin robots which barrage the target area.

This guy's role is rapid AOE damage dealing. You deal low dmg but your spells have very low cooldown (except the rocket robot, but that's more of a trap ability). Also take note that the goblins do NOT have a normal attack, meaning that rocket barrage is the substitute.

Death Stalker

Death Port - Opens a portal to the target location and instantly moves the death stalker there.
Death Trap - Isolates an area around the death stalker, trapping enemy units inside with him. In this area, noone (including the death stalker) can move.
Infect - Each 5 attacks, the Death Stalker infects his target, slowing them and dealing damage.
Ghost essence - Grants life steal as well as making the death stalker summon ghosts on each attack.

Death Stalker is the right - click guy. He has a very, VERY long range teleport, allowing easy escape, and death trap prevents opponents from moving. It also prevents death stalker from moving but he still has his teleport. His ghosts are his prime strength though - they deal a lot of damage if he summons a lot.

Soul Seeker

Soul Mark - Marks an area with a... mark. After a small wait, the mark starts stealing life from nearby units. The Soul Seeker can attack the mark to destroy it but to heal himself by the amount of life stolen.
Soul Harvest - Makes an area around the Soul Seeker unstable. After some time, the area shifts to the netherworld, dealing damage (how this works exactly will be explained below).
Soul Shield - Each time the Soul Seeker is attacked, he protects himself with a shield which deals damage to the attacked and reduces damage dealt to the Soul Seeker.
Nether Essence - A firebolt based ability which deals % damaged based on the current HP of the Soul Seeker

The mind-games unit, this guy works best when on low hp, so using him is very risky. Nothing more to say here :p

When the Soul Seeker casts this ability, he looses 15% of his HP. Then there is a shiny effect where the Seeker was standing (he can move freely after he casts it) and after a few seconds, it happens. The spell creates 4 circles each 100 range away from each other. Each circle has 12 blasts. Each blast does 50 damage in a 300 AOE, and it also damages the caster (if he stays there, which he shouldnt)

---------------------------------------------------------
Update!
Awesome Unit Arena v0.2 Alpha

-Added new hero : Dark Mage
-Removed the ceiling of the Fire Prison when the duration ends.
-Added some extra effects on some spells (soul seeker)
-Changed the tooltips a bit

Update!
Awesome Unit Arena v0.3 & v0.4 Alpha
Forgot to update it when i made 0.3 :cool:

-Added new hero : Voodoo Priest
-Increased the sizes of all heroes as i also increased the height of the map.
-Made some other tweaks to fit the new sizes
Well, seems i forgot to update the map when i made the new version :p. Anyway, now i have 3 versions, and as far as i am concerned, some fixes to the tooltips, check if everything is MUI and next version will probably be a beta in the maps section.
Now about the size increase / height increase. This is to compensate for the big terrain, as i want the units to be around the map all the time, and previousely the map was to big for this. Now, heroes are bigger and faster, meaning that they will fight more often and it will be more dynamic - my goal for this map.

Last Words

With all the unit's abilities explained, the gameplay explained as well, and all the other crap explained, it is time for some last words about the map.

• I have NOT imported anything in this map (except the loading screen but i made that one myself)
  • You CAN use effects, ideas, generally anything in this map as long as you credit me (NinoDoko)
  • You CAN edit the map, but just leave the credits as they are or add more if you want. Just don't delete them. (so people know who is the original creator and who created the terrain and other people who helped create the original map)

And one more thing. I haven't gotten around to test this map in multiplayer, so it probably has a lot of MUI, MPI bugs. It also may have a lot of leaks which i forgot to remove. It surely has, it is an alpha version, the first thing released. Just mention them, i will fix them.

Attachments

• Awesome Arena.w3x
    456.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Level 15
Cool concept! I just want to point out that the Firemage seems to leave behind fireballs on the ground, which is weird.
Also, it would be nice if you gave the fireballs some flying height and remove/scale down the shadow.

Fire Prison damages and slows the Firemage as well, which is fair. The only thing I dislike is the fact that the ceiling part remains there for ~5-10 seconds after the prison ends.

The Goblin seems to have much better AoE damage than the Firemage, but it wasn't tested :p

EDIT: It seems that all AoE spells damage yourself, was it intended? Because the Soul dude takes a lot of his HP when he uses the AoE-damage soul skill.

Good luck BTW :)

Level 6
Thx for the feedback, i really appreciate it :)

anyway
The fireballs have flying height, i just might need to improve it, and i forgot the shadows. Thx for reminding me :)

The fire prison thingie is a bug but i guess it isn't hard to fix.

Goblin vs Firemage... well if 6 people decided to kill firemage, he would prison, fire rain, fire blast and kill all 6 of them. Goblins would have to use their spells more frequently.

And AOE damaging yourself... well it is so in the soul dude's case. It reduces his hp so his other spells are more effective + his opponent is damaged as well, meaning you can kill him easier.

Anyway, thx for the review :)

Level 6
Update!
Awesome Unit Arena v0.2 Alpha

-Added new hero : Dark Mage
-Removed the ceiling of the Fire Prison when the duration ends.
-Added some extra effects on some spells (soul seeker)

Ok, i guess one more hero, and i will test the map in multiplayer, if there are no game-breaking bugs i will release a beta version. Also, i was thinking of increasing the Size of all units since the map is so big. What do you think?

(sorry for double post, but it's been 24 hours... i think, and i guessed it'd be ok to make another post)

The map will be in the first post.

Level 15
The problem is not the health cost, but how you damage yourself for an insane amount. If they simply disable you for a short time, you'll get struck by the uber-AoE spell.

From what I can see, you use Damage Area, which damages all units, allied or enemy. Therefore, if the hero stands where you used Soul Harvest, he will take the AoE damage and probably die before he can own enemies while in low health.

Also, I would suggest a way to allow repeated use of the same hero, as it is troublesome to select the same hero again and again.

Please add a kills tracker, as well as make the wisp auto-selected everyone you need to choose a unit.

Will test it with a friend to see how it works out.

Level 6
Well, i know what you are talking about, and it is intentional. I could make dummy units to cast a war stomp, but i chose this method cause i wanted the caster to be affected as well.

The idea of a repeated unit is a great one, i think i will implement it :D
Also the kill tracker. I was going to do that, but i wanted to make at least 6 heroes before i made the final touch - win conditions.

Wisp auto selection is good too, seems i've forgotten to do it :p

Level 6
Another update! I thought i could double post since my last post was like a week ago, so...
I really appreciate any reviews for the map. Positive, negative, anything as long as it is constructive and helps me improve the map.

Awesome Unit Arena v0.3 & v0.4 Alpha

-Added new hero : Voodoo Priest
-Increased the sizes of all heroes as i also increased the height of the map.
-Made some other tweaks to fit the new sizes
Well, seems i forgot to update the map when i made the new version :p. Anyway, now i have 3 versions, and as far as i am concerned, some fixes to the tooltips, check if everything is MUI and next version will probably be a beta in the maps section.
Now about the size increase / height increase. This is to compensate for the big terrain, as i want the units to be around the map all the time, and previousely the map was to big for this. Now, heroes are bigger and faster, meaning that they will fight more often and it will be more dynamic - my goal for this map.

Status
Not open for further replies.