• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Awesome Images from Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
I logged on to the BBC website today, and theres a great article about the new observation module on the International Space station :D The quality of the photo's that have been taken from it are really quite neat so I thought I'd share a few of them with you guys ;)

More images like these can be found at:

http://www.esa.int/esaHS/SEMG2856JGG_index_mg_1.html

Dang, I love technology :)

Level 14
Slow-Clap.gif

Level 22
One of my dreams, maybe my biggest... it costs around 100,000 USD/(EUR?) I think to make even a 40 min trip in orbit as a tourist. I wanna go into space..

What's with all the lights? It looks unreal, almost like the SC2 planets megapolises where the whole planet is a city. It can't have so many lights. Pic 1 is Italy and South Europe, pic 2 is USA from what I see.

Level 27
One of my dreams, maybe my biggest... it costs around 100,000 USD/(EUR?) I think to make even a 40 min trip in orbit as a tourist. I wanna go into space..

What's with all the lights? It looks unreal, almost like the SC2 planets megapolises where the whole planet is a city. It can't have so many lights. Pic 1 is Italy and South Europe, pic 2 is USA from what I see.

It costs four thousand dollars... oh sorry, wrong line. Anyway, I'm sure that like in 20-40 years there will be some space travel afordable. :goblin_yeah:
Unless we'll waste all the natural resources or nuke ourselves before that (what is more possible). :goblin_boom:

The big cities are really so bright. They are so bright on all the space photos and satelite photos and oh come on, can I hear at least one sentence that doesn't have SC2 in it?

Level 30
The person has no space-suit on.
The "door" or what is it, is open.
There's nothing in the "space".
Just... Honestly, you can easily see its not from space, but from a studio.
iss023e037182.jpg

Still not convinced :D

The "doors" are in fact panels which cover the windows :) You'll notice that all the other windows round the sides also have small flaps which can cover them :) I'd guess its to protect the inhabitants from radiation or something :p

Regarding the background, I'd guess it's to do with light-pollution from an external light-source (e.g. the sun) You'll notice theres a lens flare on the image and some rays of light coming in from the top left hand side :) It's the same reason you can't see stars when your standing in a bright city at night :p The same thing is happening in this photo:

http://www.esa.int/images/iss024e012814.jpg

Finally, the photo was taken on the 9th May according to the website, which is months after the module had been installed to the ISS :)

Just speculation though, who really knows ;)

Level 22
Probably taken on a mostly cloudless day. City lights are rather bright.

I love that picture of the southern lights.

From a plane it's dark where there's no city and just bare land, this is too shiny like the entire continents have lights every 1km

I suppose light pollution as Cloudwolf also suggested. Whenever you take a picture of lights they may appear blurry or bigger and different shape then they are thus covering more area. E.g I once made a pic of Saturn through telescope lens and instead of disk with a ring in golden colors on the pic it looked like a golden curve drawn on MS paint nothing to do with a star or planet.

Level 7
I wish to visit space and travel to other galaxies, find other inhabitable planets and find some mass effect 2 aliens before I reach the age of 20. Currently, I'm at the young age of 14.

Ah, the lights look like molten lava to my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.