• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Attaching doodad models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hi, I am trying to attach some non-standart models to my units and there seem to be some problems.
What I need is to create units with doodad models and with origin attachment, so I decided to do it this way: I use Vextorians dummy model (I only use the origin attachment) and attach Bookcase to the origin. Whatever ability I use, the bookcase won't display. I had simillar problem with Support Column (didn't work when I used Sphere, so I used Spiked Barricade and it worked)

I noticed this problem on many models, is there a way to solve that or some models just can't be attached?

Level 11
You could maybe mess around with the wisp harvest spell becuase the target attachment is origin, but im not sure if "target attachment" is reffering to the doodad or the actual wisp. Maybe you could make is so the harvest ability can be casted on units but i dont think that would work :/
You could always just make a dummy unit with the model of an attachment and move it to the unit with a doodad model, but that might create kag if there is gonna be alot of these doodads with attachments.

World Editor dont allows you to use Doodads or Destructibles as attachements.
You must use a MPQ Browser, export the desired models, and re-import them. Thats the only way to use. But dont worry, these doodads are pretty small size, they wont weight more than 15kb each.

EDIT: I'm not telling you to replace the existing models in import manager. Leave them as they are like war3mapimported/bookcase.mdx, or remove the war3mapimported, etc, and use the imported ones on the ability.

Level 12
Well that solves nothing, if I had to reimport them, I can just add origin to them and use them as base unit. The size is indeed a problem, if I need to reimport every single doodad model. But it seems it's the only solution.
Using dummy units will propably cause more problems that it would solve, I already use too much units in the map anyway.

Level 12
So what? From my experience, maps over 1MB are too big to play (although my map is only for 6 players, but 11 players downloading any larger map takes ages, not even talking about 8MB maps). Besides, If I wanted the map to be huge, I would download some cool new models and skins, not fill up space with models that are already there:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.