• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Atmospheric Single-Player FPS with RPG Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
My campaign instantly crashes when You run it (not me), because you play from first person. If you will play from third person, then this project will be closed and remade into Atmospheric Single-Player Third-Person Shooter with RPG Elements. "Remade" means that I'll take some parts from old project and base the new project on it. To be honest, things I've made are really odd, and messy, but there are no leaks. The game crashes on powerless computers, unlike mine. I will upload the abandoned version for people to study or even make something out of it.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Development

GSC Game World finished their game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl on 2007th year. The date of the final release is very late - many times developers promised to finish the work on 2005, 2006, 2004... Fans tired to wait and within those time periods a few alpha versions of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. were secretly or officially leaked from GSC Game World to public. In the final result, tons of outstanding features were cut out from the game, it contained a couple of physics bugs, other bugs and any way did satisfy gamers' expectations. However, during the play process the player has to go to same places multiple times and do same things over and over again, what is somehow annoying. But the game is still great, it's even based on X-Ray engine, that was made specially for the game.

A prequel to the game was released later. But I own only the first one. What I decided to do is to make a multiplayer RPG-shooter adventure (non-linear, but with ultimate goal) with a storyline, as minimum, but what I know about GUI triggers was enough to make a complex FPS, and that overwhelmed my original plans.

Official Story

The story in my game has a general theme of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, that's why I couldn't manage to find a more suitable name than just "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.", if you could help me with a better name please tell me.

Original story of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. consists of a single part: In 2006 year something near the Chernobyl NPP sarcophagus blown up, and the ground around 30 kilometers in radius from Chernobyl trembled. Various expeditions were sent to the very heart of the Zone to find out what could cause the explosion, but all expeditions sent there were vanishing right away. Then the new, unknown, dangerous Zone was chained and guarded by military forces. The Zone was growing further and further until in 2010 year the Russian army launched an invasion to destroy the reason why the new Zone exists, but the entire army got broken and everyone either gone mad in dark creepy forests, or mutated of radiation, or simply died. Anyway, thousands of firearms were left behind for others to use.

Just as the Zone was given a birth, people started to notice strange places that had their gravitation, or something else, go wrong - one places were sucking everything around them and suppress it with strength of 20 tons, other places were from time to time raising all objects around them high into the air and then explode them all into nowhere. Such places were named anomalies. Anomalies produce random suppressed objects made of their victims, and each item of such kind had an unique and universal effect on its wielder. Some items have a gravitational field around them that can magnet bullets to it, other items could slow time around them, making the wielder become old slower. Such objects were named artifacts. Artifacts could regenerate flesh and skin, remove radiation from organism, slow down denaturalization of human proteins and allow the wielder to run for an incredibly long period of time without getting tired. At first scientists and jewelers were going ape for those thinghies and would pay you tremendous reward if you bring them some cool things. but when the number of stalkers grown too big, and all of them were looking for artifacts, their price went down to approximately one eighth of the initial one. It's still huge price. Stalkers are people who came to the Zone by the following reasons:
  • They've done a crime and are hiding from law;
  • They want to become rich by selling artifacts or whatever;
  • They want to turn the world to a golden era by making scientific inventions with the help of the Zone's supernature samples study;
  • Or they have nowhere to live and all their alliance is dead.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. stands for "Scavenger, Trespasser, Adventurer, Loner, Killer, Explorer, Robber".

My Story

The storyline of my game begins just after the events of Shadow of Chernobyl, when Strelok destroys the C-Consciousness, but what happened you will find out during the course of the game. For now the only thing I can tell exactly is that the protagonist's name is Sotnik (thanks to Boris Vasiliev, Russian writer, for the name) and he has to later destroy the Zone, or at least try. On the moment of the start of the game he was found guilty in a crime which he hasn't done and was forced to avoid the jail by going to the Zone with his close friend (unknown name) on his Niva 1600. But the car somehow turned over, when Sotnik and his friend were inside it, one late night and Sotnik's friend disappeared when he woke up. Sotnik had to continue his way on foot, but luckily, he was already very close to one of the entrances into the Exclusion Zone. On his way he stumbled upon a dying man who left his last will to Sotnik to bring his flashdrive to a trader named Sidorovich. Unfortunately the following events happening to Sotnik are horrible and he learns his first lesson to never go for a walk in the Zone unarmed.

Game Features

When finished the game has to contain the following features:
  • Walk in eight directions
  • Observing in any direction
  • Shooting, slicing, throwing things
  • Interacting with NPCs
  • Driving cars
  • Picking up items
  • Climbing a ladder up/down
  • Jumping
  • Crouching
  • Passive Inventory that represents a scrollable multiboard in which you can store things of overall weight up to 60 kilograms (and 80 if wearing an Exoskeleton)
  • Joining any faction
  • Controlling allied units in your team by using text commands
  • Faction Wars
  • Mutant respawn
  • Mutants attack effects
  • Attachable weapon & armor upgrades
  • Trading items
  • Traveling between levels
  • Custom save load cache-based system
  • A-Life (Artificial life, when mutants fight each other, a dog gnaws bones, Sotnik makes random absolutely crazy sounds when he's mind-damaged (some sounds are evil mad laugh, other sounds are howls, third sounds are beast's growl, Sotnik needs to eat food, sleep in his sleepbag and the camera sways when he's either drunk or other type affected)
  • Dynamic Weather & weather transfer between maps when traveling
  • A blowout (damages all uncovered/unhidden living creatures and organisms, and the sky goes black, red or blue, night vision devices don't work somewhy during a blowout, Sotnik can't sleep during a blowout)
  • Obtaining quests from NPCs

Features that are already done and being worked on

• Absolutely free movement in 8 directions, not confused by any obstacles and camera is always the same height as you
  • Look anywhere around you, but not 90/-90 degree vertically (Tan(90)=infinite)
  • Scopes images 1280x1280
  • Passive Inventory
  • (Unfinished) Scrolling the Passive Inventory
  • Description of Items board
  • (Unfinished) Scrolling it
  • Basic knife attack that can kill someone (sorry, in this version it can't)
  • Jump, Crouch & Run
  • Custom Music
  • (Unfinished) Jumping on objects and falling from them
  • (Unfinished) Wearing other types of armor and weapons than initial ones
  • (Unfinished) Picking up items from the ground. If your main inventory is already full, then the item will be stored straight in your Passive Inventory.
Game Controls

Main Controls
  • Q - Shoot, Slice, Throw, Turn hand flashlight on/off
  • W - Go forward (on/off)
  • E - Stop going anywhere (off only)
  • R - Reload current weapon if its magazine is not full
  • A - Go left (on/off)
  • S - Go back (on/off)
  • D - Go right (on/off)
  • F - Use (items, cars (get in), talk to NPC, open door, access to a code typer, flip a switch)
  • Z - Change ammo type used by the weapon (requires reloading)
  • X - Run (on/off)
  • C - Crouch (on/off)
  • V - Jump
  • Arrow Keys - Look around
  • Enter - type a text command
  • ESC - Show/Hide Passive Inventory
  • -, + Switch between view modes or weapon modes (Mode 1 - look from first person and automatic weapon mode (sniper rifles don't have automatic mode), Mode 2 - look from first person and single shot weapon mode, Mode 3 - Look into the scope/iron sight and single shot, Mode 4 - Look into scope/iron sight and automatic mode, Mode 4 - as sniper rifles don't have automatic mode, then this increases magnification of the integrated scope for better aiming, Mode 5 - Switch to Underbarrel Grenade Launcher, if the weapon has one, Mode 6 - switch to smashing everything in front of you with the weapon you are holding, that may cause damage to your weapon and of course kill someone, Mode 7 - Look from third person, in which you may not shoot and you can see your suit and holding the weapon you're carrying, and you bleed if doing so.
Passive Inventory Controls
  • Q - store the item which lies in your inventory slot #1, or the closest item to it, in your passive inventory
  • W - Retrieve the selected item from Passive Inventory, but if the main inventory is full, then the item is straight tossed out on the ground
  • E - Use the selected item from Passive Inventory
  • R - Show Contacts (list of person that are within range of 30 meters or closer to you)
  • A - Turn Head Flashlight on/off, if you have one attached to your current armor
  • S - Turn night vision on/off
  • D - Look at your compass to determine in what direction are you facing, but in underground caverns compass starts dancing from side to side and doesn't show anything useful
  • F - Discard the selected weapon (if the item selected is a weapon) of its magazine
  • Z - Detach Scope (if weapon selected and it does actually have a scope attached to it)/ Remove Night Vision (if you selected a suit and it has night vision added on to it)
  • X - Detach Grenade Launcher (from weapon), Remove Gasmask (from armor, if it initially didn't have one and you added it to your armor as an add on, or if you decided to cut the weight of the item and sell its gasmask)
  • C - Detach Suppressor (from a weapon)/ Remove Head Flashlight (There are no suits in the game that initially have head flashlights, you need to obtain one first)
  • V - Detach Flashlight from Weapon
  • ESC - if you're current in Read Item Description, or See Contacts mode then ESC key brings you back to Passive Inventory
  • Left Arrow - Show description of selected item
  • Right Arrow - Take the item into your Active Inventory
Car Controls
A car has fuel and accumulator power. When fuel runs to 0, the car stops. When accumulator power runs to 0, you can't turn on light or windscreen wiper.
  • Q - Turn car on/off
  • W - Push Gas pedal (on/off)
  • E - Lights on/off
  • R - Get out from the car
  • A - Roll the steering wheel to the left
  • S - Change the transmission to 6 (going back), this doesn't move the car, it just sets transmission, to move the car you got to push Gas pedal
  • D - Roll the steering wheel to the right
  • F - Windscreen wipers on/off
  • ESC - Show/Hide Passive Inventory menu
  • -, + Decrease/Increase transmission (Transmission can be 1,2,3,4,5 or 6)
Important aspects and notes of the gameplay.
  • If you have an attachable flashlight attached to your weapon and at the same time have a head flashlight added on to your suit, then turning on the light from Passive Inventory turns on both of the light, that increases visual advantages greatly and can even blind enemies a bit
  • Turning on any light gives no effect in the period of day Since 6:00 to 18:00, because it cannot extend the maximum visibility range
  • To restore hunger Sotnik needs to consume food by left-clicking on it in the Main Inventory, or by using it inside Passive Inventory
  • TO attach a weapon/armor attachment you need to first equip that suit/weapon and then left-click on the attachment to add it on
  • To remove attachments/upgrades you need to first unwear the weapon/armor and put it into Passive Inventory and then choose to remove an upgrade
  • Jumping while running allows you to jump a lot further
  • To remove fatigue your character can either stand still for a couple of time or drink energy drinks, that completely restore stamina
  • If Sotnik doesn't have a sleep for too long - he falls asleep automatically during a travel between game levels
  • If Sotnik starves for too long he starts to lose health
  • Fatigue increase is determined by how much weight you carry and how hungry you are. The longer you starved and the more you're carrying the sooner you will run out of energy
  • Using medkits increases the Drowse, while energy drinks can help you stay up
  • If your Psi-health falls to 0 you turn into a zombie and lose the game. Psi-health drops when attacked by some special monsters, standing near a psi-emitter or being too close to some kinds of monsters, Nothing can help restore psi-health, it can only restore on its own, but there's a faction in the game that is researching a protection against psi-affection.

To run the game choose "New Game" button in the campaign opening screen.

The is a very huge project with many levels and features, and I began working on it since April, 6th.

I accept that if someone would like to edit this campaign and make a better one out of it, and I will try to do my best to help you with that. I don't know, I'm just feeling powerful enough to handle something as gigantic (especially terrain is going to be extremely hard to make, since it has got to look apocalyptic in some places and flat tiles suitable for first person camera, that will hover low over the terrain, high bush must represent a hidden danger in it, creepy environment must scare the player, weird sounds all around, creatures suddenly jumping out from bushes at you, I'm even telling about Underground dungeons and caverns, they got to be hardcore) as what I'm planning.

This campaign has been made as an open source, is not protected, and is for those who want to learn how to make things like that to study.

Current stage of the map is Alpha, it is not finished at all.

Screenshots are included.

Credits

General Frank - weapon models, AuraNuke icon

Tomura - A minigun with ammo box model

Callahan - weapon models

TotallyAwesome - weapon models

Talon the Mage - marine models

Kitabataki - weapon models

The Ultimate Terraining Map - most of environment models

Thrikodius - ammo box model

zombie2279 - weapon icons

http://stalker.heroesradio.com/ - icons of medkits, armor and other icons from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

random sources - music and sounds from stalker

oh_snap - suppressor icon

chirusHighwind - Target icon

Blizzard - everything. As said in the agreement, anything that is used in warcraft belongs to blizzard, whether it's an icon drawn by someone or an imported sound, or any imported material.

GSC Game World/GSC World Publishing - for making S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl game and inspiration.

Hawkwing - Hanging abomination head (use not found yet)

Unknown - Racing Road Tileset. The creator's uploaded resource missed from where I downloaded it and I can't tell exactly who made it.

Unknown - Echelle (A ladder). The field, where should be the name of the user who uploaded the resource, is empty.

HappyTauren - Gas Mask, Medkit

Illidan(Evil)X - Grenade Missile, Jeep Model and roofless jeep model, wallX, T-34 Tank model, thompson firearm model

Unknown - HQ. Search function didn't find the model.

Kofi_Banan- Humvee model, Bandit & Freedom soldier & some armymen/stalkers model and its attachment (infantry 1b), SDKFZ251 model, Town10, Train and its stock, Artillery

Burning_Dragoon5 - Military Stalker & Armyman model (Imperial Guard)

skrab - Another Jeep model

Mephestrial - log bridge model

GoldWolf - MapTable model

SataX - OldFactory model

Tranquil - Porticulis model

Punisher_x - Urban Pack

!!GORO!! - His two wooden towers

FlashpoinT - radio backpack attachment

Unknown - Railway named Tory

Ice - sandbags1 model

Bob Hoil - TOZ-66 shotgun model

Trollschnitzel - StarTrek-console2 model, Church model

ThatGuy43 - tiny torch model (use not found yet)

Pyramidhe@d - phWalls

Androniq - F1 Grenade icon

D.O.G. - model of a pill

Huinipachutli - Bullet icons

The_Silent - GaussRifle and MarineSuit icons

NONE of the General Frank's models or artwork were modified in any way, because they are so perfect that they need no modification. Callahan's weapons were rotated to fit Talon the Mage's marine's right hand (AK got messed up).

Attachments

• ScreenshotoftheGame.jpg
    ScreenshotoftheGame.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 5,486
  • ScreenshotoftheGame2.jpg
    ScreenshotoftheGame2.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 1,907
  • ScreenshotoftheGame3.jpg
    ScreenshotoftheGame3.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 2,690
  • STALKER CHARNOBYL MOD.w3n
    42.3 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Level 4
This sounds pretty incredible.

ALSO. You made me want to play the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game.
Never tried it, looked like a run of the mill horror game, from the cover.

Level 3
excellent idea and concept but horrible implementation
I played it for 5 minutes and the controls made me sick
what I saw in my monitor is a flying dagger and I don't know what must I do, and I found some zombies and I can't kill them and I can walk through them ???

sorry for my bad english

Level 11
excellent idea and concept but horrible implementation
I played it for 5 minutes and the controls made me sick
what I saw in my monitor is a flying dagger and I don't know what must I do, and I found some zombies and I can't kill them and I can walk through them ???

sorry for my bad english

The game is not made to be played yet, because too little has been done. It is for studying and letting you know that a project like this is being worked on.

You don't know what to do because no quests or in-game text messages have been added o the game. You can walk through units, obstacles and structures because the collision system is right now being worked on.

The map is not finished at all and is in the dark alpha stage. Controls are, of course, a lot (12 buttons), and they're unexplained, but I'll make a short tutorial after having finished with the game, describing each control or aspect of the gameplay.

Level 12
Hmm, very nice idea for a map, but sounds abit hard to make.

I wish you good luck on the project anyway.

Level 11
A bit. But every time when I encountered some unbelievable paradox, god knows why nothing works from the very first time, but with time problems solve on their own... so YOU'RE GONNA JUMP ONTO STUFF AND SLIDE INTO SIDE WHEN HAVING ENCOUNTERED AN OBSTACLE.

EDIT: Now you can already do that. Next is YOU'RE GONNA FALL DOWN IF WALK OFF SOMETHING YOU WERE STANDING ON

Last edited:
Level 11
This is not a map, this is a campaign file. W3N extension means the the file is campaign.
To play custom campaigns you need to add them not to the Maps Folder but to the Campaigns folder inside Warcraft III directory.

And currently I'm trying to make you Fall from high. And die if fallen from too high. and not fall... if standing on a crate..... You can't fall yet, to get back down you need to jump. I'm extremely excited about the game implementation, so I doubt I'm going to give up or postpone or even make a break in it before I'm done with Terrain, Missions, NPCs/Monsters, Items and the Game Engine
And my time is GMT+3, so I start working when it's night for you.

Last edited:
Level 5
Ah, thanks, thought you made a mistake or something...

Sounds cool what you're currently working on, good luck.

Aw, that's too bad, it'l take about half a day for each of our replies to be answered...

Well, I guess I'll try this out and tell you what I think about it.

Level 5
So what do you think about it?

Well the strange thing is I've only been able to try it once, every other time I try, it gives me a crash, or just exits without even a crash, so I can't say much about it yet.

The interface is okay, but for some reason I can't see the ability tooltips (maybe a problem with a fade filter?).

I think it's a good concept you got here, if you could improve the scripting (if its possible) so my comp doesn't lag (its kinda old).

Level 11
I'm already planning to make a worse version with less features and easier triggers for more poor computers, because they might lag and crash. I hardly believe that Wc3 even runs on your computer.

EDIT: The campaign was made in World Editor Unlimited and has no JASS triggers.
I'm going to cut out jump and crouch from the game, remove the menu multiboard, almost all planned features, all custom music except for the scariest one. Make 6 helmets, 5 swords and one mace, 6 shields and 3 fade filters for helmets. And story is a dead paladin who somewhy raised from his grave in his tomb, and he must get out from his tomb and kill his killers, and find out why did he become alive. And you can drink potions to heal, and some items have special effects that are triggered when either you attack or you're attacking.

I very much want someone to make out something small and fun from what was already done by me.

Last edited:
Level 3
You should adopt movement similar to http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/sharpshooter-online-v1-20b-98378/ because toggableable movement is kind of hard to control. Especially if you have 2 sets of movement controls (8 keys, 4 for movement, 4 for turning and aiming).

Although I love the ideas you have and the amount of options. When the map goes from alpha -> beta I'll definitely download and try. Because like you said "The game is not made to be played yet" but it's definitely looks like it's going to be good. So this I'm going to have to bookmark until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.