• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Astallas RPG - based on Final Fantasy

Which type of in-game camera should the game be?

• Normal Camera

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Third Person

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
full

Astallas is a single player rpg campaign under development by xYours Trulyx. I hope to make the game long enough for you to enjoy. The game currently has no difficulty.I made the gameplay to be particularly like any Final Fantasy games,on which it has a status menu, inventory and their own battle system. The game is currently in the alpha state,so don't expect too much amusement at the moment >.<

=Features=
Letterbox Mode Gameplay
I made the game to be running in a letterbox mode. Its like in cinematic mode,but you can control your character with only four keys, arrow keys and the Esc key. Now,there's an explanation to why I'm doing this. Firstly is to prevent players from seeing the unwanted. Secondly,is to easily make a "Talk to" script.

Status Menu (In Progress)
Like I said,the game only runs in with the arrow keys and the Esc. Now this is where the Esc key comes to use. Clicking it will open up the status menu. There you can see your characters' health,mana,level and experience. From there,you can also open your inventory, see your current gold, look to a more in-depth status of your characters and more to come.

Final Fantasy-based Battle System
We all know the battle systems in the Final Fantasy series. Well,I'm currently trying to make the battle system in those games into the world of Warcraft 3. I know this will very frustrating to create,and probably consume a lot of time,especially since I will have to make it again in each chapter of the campaign, but I promise you it will be very smooth and complex to play with.

Element-based Attacks and Abilities (Planned)
I will try to implement elemental attacks to abilities. The elements that will be created are: Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Light and Dark. Each element does more damage to each other. For example, Fire does more damage to Earth elemental creatures.

30 maps,including 23 Chapters and 7 Cinematic.

=Characters=(atm)
103720-14fce59b638a3a004450d74cfd82e85e.jpg
Vendet Astallas
A battle hardened warrior that has a passion to bring justice to all the lands. He was born at the Rothmers castle and was transferred to Fandirk during his youth. There he join the knighthood of the Fandirk Army and became a lieutenant after 11 years. Vendet is a good friend of Fletcher,who was recently promoted to captain.
85117-2c9fa6f9980665d4ea96710438bda1bf.jpg
Fletcher Sands
Fletcher is one of the most respected captains of the Fandirk Army,despite his recent promotion. He leads a portion of the knighthood and trains several soldiers after he was promoted,including Vendet. Fletcher is a great and fierce warrior,but is kind at heart to his comrades. He sometimes appears late to do his given jobs.

full
Derek Olson
Derek is one of the many trainers of Fandirk. He teaches new recruits of the army on survival. Derek is a veteran soldier and are violent towards his enemies. He spends much of his time drinking a mug of beer in the taverns.

=Development Progress=
Prologue - Behind Rothmers' Walls (IN DEVELOPMENT)
Chapter 1 - The City of Fandirk (IN DEVELOPMENT)
Chapter 2 - Bandits' Hideout (IN DEVELOPMENT)

=Screenshots=

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

=Credits=

These are the credits given to the one that made Fandirk city's map, and the resources.
Models
Stefan.K
Callahan
HerrDave
Tranquil
Sin'Dorei300
Hermit
MassiveMaster
HappyTauren
Mister X
Cavman
Paillan
Mike
Urkdrengi
eubz
JesusHipster
GiFun
GreyArchon
Chriz
GreyKnight

Skins
inhuman89
Gar'nogal
olyvian
Mr.Goblin
Tail96
simkitty181
Foxxjuh

Icons
Lelling
Amargaard
Darkfang

Systems/Triggers
Moon_assailant
hadezOwn
Wietlol
Hermit

Terraining
Svetli

Skins
falcoknight

Google Images
cooltext.com

BENJNKAHN

Music
Derek Fiechter (youtube)
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
mp3cut.net

=Project Members=-
250158.jpg

xYours Trulyx
Director, developer
214925.jpg

zlowly
Lore writer.

=Latest Video=

Last edited:
Level 14
This looks interesting. I like the approach of a simplistic letterbox mode. I'll have to look more at this as it progresses

Last edited:
Level 30
That's a very promising and I might say a 'large scale' campaign. Obviously, a Final Fantasy inspired project which I am also fond of (referring to FF). The battle system is quite fine. Not really a fan of turn-based combat style but it's something different from the generic Warcraft battle system at least. The existence of element-based attacks and defenses though are quite the game changer here. This pretty much offers a whole lot of customization for the characters. Other than that, I hope there will be more features in the game. Something probably that we don't see that much on games or improvements or revision of already existing features.

Based on the screenshot, you're doing exceptionally well also. Some improvements on the terrain/atmosphere would do. There's a whole lot of resources here and even the HD ones. Utilize it well.

Keep up the good work and good luck!

Level 30
It actually doesn't need to be pretty great like of those maps which has eyecandy terrains. We all start from the basic to average terrains. What I would suggest is you read some tutorials here or on other site regarding terrain. That will teach you a lot on what to do and what not to do.

But to be specific also, you could try raising some parts of the ground on the natural tiles using the raise tool. Doing the opposite could do as well, the lower tool (pretty much rusty on WE. Can't remember exactly the names of the tools). You can make mountains from this tool honestly and it gives much more variety to your terrain. A tip, a flat atmoshpere is not that visually appealing. Another one, you should do have more variety as well on your tiles. Play around with tilesets. Mix a different type of grass to another grass in order to give your terrain a more appealing and unique look. Basically, let your creativeness take over. Be creative.

Level 30
That's pretty neat there. Something to note though, you should probably fill some more of the empty spaces with props. Place some pillars at some points, castle structures other than the walls (you can actually make warcraft building units into doodads by making a generic doodad first and then changing its model file), some props such as crates, fountains, castle arches and utilize some special effects as well (you can also turn special effects into doodads using the same method stated above).

You can also bypass the doodad limit by using The Jass NewGen Pack (JNGP) 2.0 - Blizzard Modding Information Center. It's another version of world editor which provides more support withthe scripting languages (GUI and JASS), removing limitations such as the doodads and etc.

Good luck!

Hey guys. I've decided to name the campaign just "Astallas" without the chronicles (too generic for me). Anyhow,I've remake the intro for the campaign's first map. This is how it looks:

I'll probably change the outdated screenshots and replace with the new ones. I'll also change the title image with the "- The Chronicles -" removed.

Level 25
Looking good, and I like the inviting feel of the environment. Dropping 'Chronicles' from the name was also a good choice. A few things that could improve the intro:
  • The castle walls are overlapping and causing texture clipping. If you're able to move them to where they're just barely butt up against each other, they should stop clipping.
  • The cart's pathfinding freaks out and makes some hard turns. If you decrease its turn rate, it should turn a bit more smoothly without as much spazzing.
  • Unless you're speeding up the dialog through Esc or some other hotkey, the text is going a bit too fast. I would even almost double those speeds as not everyone can read or process information as quickly as others.
I'm looking forward to trying out that battle system :psmile:

This looks interesting. Keep up the good work.
Looking good, and I like the inviting feel of the environment. Dropping 'Chronicles' from the name was also a good choice. A few things that could improve the intro:
  • The castle walls are overlapping and causing texture clipping. If you're able to move them to where they're just barely butt up against each other, they should stop clipping.
  • The cart's pathfinding freaks out and makes some hard turns. If you decrease its turn rate, it should turn a bit more smoothly without as much spazzing.
  • Unless you're speeding up the dialog through Esc or some other hotkey, the text is going a bit too fast. I would even almost double those speeds as not everyone can read or process information as quickly as others.
I'm looking forward to trying out that battle system :psmile:

Thank you for your comments. I'll try to fix the castle walls and the caravan's pathfinding.

Hi, looks very nice and if you need inspiration, I once created such a map and it got quite high ratings although it wasnt such a "best seller" in numbers, so if you need inspiration I recommend that you take a look at this TEoP Sechiron Rises

Hello. Thanks for the comment :. Your map seems interesting and is related to my developing campaign. I'll check it out when I have the time. (Wow, Directors' Cut)

Updated the battle system. See how it looks:

(Note,when you used an item,and someone attacked you after that,you still get hurt but animation doesn't appear as well as the damage text. Currently trying to fix this.)

Several other progress:
- New system screenshots.
- Item and Flee action in battle are complete.
- Improved the terrain.
- Status menu updated but only the exit command is usable for now.

Level 3
Well I have seen the videos and I liked what I see, using the same music as final fantasy 8, even if it was enhanced! but I'd like to know, would there be female heroes in this game or only those three?

Well I have seen the videos and I liked what I see, using the same music as final fantasy 8, even if it was enhanced! but I'd like to know, would there be female heroes in this game or only those three?
Yes,there will be female heroes. The game will have 6 heroes while the story progresses.

i do feel like you need more skills
The heroes will have more skills based on levels and equipment. Although this hasn't been created yet.

But thanks for the comment!

Status
Not open for further replies.