• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Armor increase on damage buff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
wondering what the best way to make an ability that when activated means every time the caster is attacked by an enemy it's armor is increased by 1

I was thinking using damage response on a buff but don't think that is gonna work as can change the damage but not stats.

Any ideas on how to do this without triggers?

Level 5
that doesn't seem like a very logical way as then I have to add that effect to EVERY weapon. There must be some way to have it on the behavior side.

The buff that means that the unit gain +1 armor per attack done to it is supposed to be temporary and the additional armor is removed once the buff wears off.

Level 2
Make an Apply Behavior Ability. [i.e. Unbreakable Resolve]
Make a Buff Behavior. [i.e. Unbreakable Buff]

In your Behavior Modifications, go to Unit, not Combat. As much sense as that makes. Here you will find values like detection and sight range as well as life armor bonus and shield armor bonus or even multipliers. Also, playing around with the orange-ish display buttons above the data fields may reveal some cool stuff you didn't know was editable.

Then just add a max number of stacks in your ability that procs the behavior and a duration for the stacks if you want them to decay. Just make sure you set a validator for it to autocast or you end up sad. (Ability)

Or you can set a duration in the behavior if it only lasts for x seconds before resetting to base. (Passive)

Or you can just set it in the behavior to stack up to x times, or make it periodic, or what have you. (Passive)

Then just link it up on the unit's ability list and command card with the values in parenthesis and you are good to go.
Have fun. :grin:

Level 2
Some fields have nice hover tips and some don't. Just the way it goes. Maybe a magic intern fairy will put the rest of them in a future patch.
All and all depends on what you want to fire and how you want it to to resolve. However, a damage response proc behavior... this could be useful for my Protoss Phantoms' phase out. (they work kinda like faerie dragons from war 3, but can move while out of phase.) Presently, they fire off the ability as soon as they enter combat (provided it is not on CD) and then fall out of their "phase shift" style ability at a random interval of 3-5 sec. However, putting it on an ability allows a player to hit it prior to entering combat to close ground with the target as well. Still, a damage response would probably smooth out the effects a bit better than an "enters combat" validator. Maybe I'll scrap the pre-pop to make them less micro-intensive. On the other hand, allowing a player to disable the auto cast of it could make the micro more fun for micro junkies. Kinda like burrowing hurt roaches. All depends on "beta" response. When I get there. Stupid actors, making art all modular. XD But, I suppose it beats scanning raw code like in "the good old days" that never existed. Thanks for a second opinion doc. I got no money, you take gems?

Status
Not open for further replies.