• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Armor and damage reduction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
you can change the value 0.06 in the equation WaterKnight posted. its in gameplay constants. change it to 0.01 so the reduction will be a bit less than 1% per armorpoint and if you set it to 0.02 its a bit more than 1% per armorpoint.

hope i was able to help you :D

Level 11
Just BTW, what you're proposing would make every point of armor you gain stronger than the point before it. The way WC3 calculates reduction from armor means every point of armor has the same value.

From playdota.com since I can't phrase it any better myself:

Armor Stacking

It is generally conceived that armor gets less and less effective the more you have (since the extra damage reduction gets less and less). That a Plate Mail gives you less extra protection from attacks if you already have 20 armor than if you would have only 5. This is false. If one Plate Mail makes the hero survive 3 extra attacks, then 4 Plate Mails will make the hero survive a total of 12 extra attacks before dying. Each Plate Mail gives the same amount of extra protection, which is in this case 3 more attacks before dying.

Proof:
Consider a hero with 1000 hp and 0 armor. To kill it one needs to deal at least 1000 damage to it.

If we give the hero 10 armor, which is 37.5% damage reduction, every attack would only deal 62.5% of the original value (100% - 37.5% = 62.5%). To kill it now, one needs to deal 1600 damage (1600 * 0.625 = 1000). You could say that the hero now have 600 more effective hp (EHP).

If we instead give the hero 20 armor, which is 54.5% damage reduction. The damage multiplier is now 45.5%. The damage needed to kill would increase to 2200 (2200 * 0.455 = 1000). The increase in EHP is 1200, twice the amount as given by only 10 armor.

Every armor point adds an additional 6% of your maximum HP to your EHP.

Status
Not open for further replies.