• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Armed and Unarmed Combat Sound Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello everyone,

I got a lofty goal that probably isn't possible, but I'm gonna ask it anyway, just in case someone thought way outside the box.

What I want to do is make my map feel more realistic by syncing sound effects with the current weapon the hero has equipped. And conversely, reverting to unarmed combat sound effects if the hero unequips the weapon.

The closest way I thought of by myself was to manipulate the unit's attack settings a little bit in the object editor to have Attack 1 be unamrmed combat in terms of sound, while Attack 2 would be Armed combat, say a light metal attack type of sound.

The problem is it's not easy to toggle between the two. I thought if I slapped some techtree requirements to attack 2 and trigger a little I could do it. I.E. a trigger that researches the necessary techtree when the weapon is equipped. The problem with that though is techtrees cannot be unresearched, so if the hero unequips the item, it will still sound like Attack 2, despite appearances and his weapon is actually gathering dust in the inventory.

I think you guys get the picture, feel free to comment with any ideas.

Thanks!

Level 25
Disable normal combat sounds and trigger it!

Save each sound to a position in a hashtable, and assign a number to each weapon and armour type.

So e.g.
Metal Bash - 1
Metal Slice - 2
Metal Stab - 3

Plate armour - 1
Unarmoured - 2

So a footman attacking a peasant would then find the sound in the hashtable at 2, 2 (parent, child).

Status
Not open for further replies.