1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Arena of Apokua v1.2

Submitted by APproject
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Details
Arena of Apokua
v1.2

[​IMG]

Introduction

This is short Single Player arena type map, in which you might select one of sorcerer types (Frost, Fire, Shadow) and dive into arena battles. Gameplay contains 10 battles, three bosses, 11 unique items and exceptional abilities of each type of sorcerer.

Story

You wake up in unknown place, you feel exhausted, probably due to terrible night. You look around and you see cage walls, but suddenly the gates opens and you are forced to move. Very first steps into so wanted freedom brings you some nice company rushing towards you with sharp axes in circle shaped roofless building. Now it is clear to you - it is arena!

Dive into battles of arena in order to survive and finally escape.

Credits
The HiveWorkshop Models / Icons:

takakenji
-=Emergenzy=-
communist_orc
inhuman89
Shadow_killer
hortaxman
shamanyouranus
eubz
Buster
Kuhneghetz
acolyteofdoom
supertoinkz
Dionesiist
Hellx-Magnus
bloodyroadkill
Thrikodius
Mr.Goblin
JetFangInferno
Darkfang
DonDustin
Mc !
Marcos DAB
PeeKay
Daelin
inhuman89
Callahan
Nbah
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
NexusBlizzard
~Void~
Kuhneghetz
Ampharos_222
Nasrudin
marcus158
Champara Bros
4eNNightmare
Fuzzyfury
Marenko
Ycylyon
GooS
CRAZYRUSSIAN
Weep
Juan_Ann
Golden-Drake
Sven
Norinrad
Army-of-Pandas
Kuhneghetz
Marcelo Hossomi
EvilCrizpy
Kimberly
Vermillion Edict
Frankster
Ket

Music

Loki - Heroes of Mythology

Screenshots (Count: 10)
Screenshot 1.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 2.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 3.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 4.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 5.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 6.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 7.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 8.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 9.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 10.
[​IMG]

Changelog
v1.1
- Globally changed Hotkeys -
- Fixed some spell tooltips -
- Preparation time between battles have been roughly reduced -
- Minor environment change -
- Custom music track have been added -

v1.2

- Exploit of teleporting into preparation zone have been fixed -

Keywords:
Arena, of, Apokua, Barrens, Sorcerer, Mage, Single, Player, RPG.
Contents

Arena of Apokua v1.2 (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael - [IMG] Date: 2012/May/10 22:23:04 Reasons: Other: Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object editor,...
  1. Vengeancekael - [​IMG]
    Date: 2012/May/10 22:23:04

Reasons:

Other:
    Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials
    Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section
    Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object editor, overall WE issues): WE Help Zone

Comment: [Approved]
    Some things have been changed, including a new soundtrack, new hotkeys and improved tooltips.
    Rating changed to 4/5 from 3/5.
    Admin Contact - Resource Moderation - Rules

Old Moderations (Vengeancekael@-Kobas-)
    Vengeancekael - [​IMG]
    Date: 2012/Apr/08 20:47:04

Reasons:

Other:
    Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials
    Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section
    Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object editor, overall WE issues): WE Help Zone

Comment: [Approved]
    Just updating the moderation with a link to the review.
    Review

Admin Contact - Resource Moderation - Rules

09:00, 29th Aug 2011
    -Kobas-:

2. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm... A SINGLE PLAYER ARENA MAP, OH I AM PLAYING THIS BELIEVE ME

3. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hehe, don't expect much, it is quite simple and got nothing special about it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  4. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Well that's quite depressing o_O

edit:

Review:

Gameplay:

Well gameplay-wise it really isn't that special, you just fight incoming waves of bandits, etc., but you can choose between 3 specializations, fire, frost and shadow I think. The character has custom spells, really useful ones and they all have nice special effects.
    There are also a lot of custom items, with really cool looking custom icons which just make you wanna buy em all.
    However I think it gets pretty boring when you have to wait 2 minutes I think, for a wave to start. And the worse part is the start, when you're waiting for the first wave to start, you don't really need that much prep time.
    It would've also been neat if the spells' hotkeys were bound to QWER.

Terrain:

The arena looks amazing, a lot of custom models have been used and it looks pretty realistic and gripping. The only thing that didn't fit so well were the bridges, they are a bit in the air and even in the intro, you can see things below the bridge.

Other:

*Add a custom loading screen, this is a single player map, the file size is not a problem
    *Add a custom soundtrack maybe
    *Improve the spell tooltips: Shorter text, colorize the 'cooldown'
    *Show how many unis are left in the multiboard
    *Show a game message when a wave starts, telling you which units you'll be facing

Overall:

The map is very polished, terrain-wise that is, however the gameplay lacks some special features.

Rating: 3/5

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  5. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Vengeancekael

Thanks for the review and the rating.

Maybe you are right, it is quite too long, but my intention was to nable player to take his time at a very beginning, because he gotta read spell tooltips, item descriptions. I may reduce the preparation time, even though very last waves contains only 30 seconds preparation time.
    Will be done. You see, I never use hotkeys, so I put them randomly, just not to confuse each hotkeys, hehe.
    Well I got a problem here. Some bridges are little up the cliff while other ain't! Somewhy it happens and I have no idea how to fix it. I may hide these holes with doodads perhaps. I choose bridges, because a simple ramp wouldn't look really charming.
    It is not, but some people might still complain about its size due to Dial Up connections, I had complains before, when I had uploaded a Single Player map which was 11 MBs size. Since then my goal is to keep it low sized.
    Would be cool, but it might double or even tripple file size. :/
    This might be the key to shorter preparation time.
    This could be done, but it would make game.. Hmm.. How to say it.. Too much mini-game-like I think. I rather keep it in secret to make waves unexpectable very first time playing, even though they are very familiar to each other.

Anyway, thank you for you reply. I might improve it within time. By the way, any ideas how to make gameplay surprising, special, unique? Right now gameplay itself is quite boring, I agree, but it is based on difficulty, how you deal with enemies, how you manipulate your abilities and you get to know new abilities once specialization is being changed. Well, there issue about incoming bandits is quite incorrect. You might see bandits only in 1/10 wave, not anymore, because basically each wave got different units involved.

6. MrStormyZ

MrStormyZ

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    gameplay is pretty slow
    and it's kinda laggy too, those yellow bushes that you see in the 1st cinematic could use a replacement with a high resolution one but yet might cause even more lag

waiting time for 1 round is too long (and that too when you don't have enough gold for anything for the vault)
    how about some command like -go -start ?

Cinematics were good, great camera movements, decent scripts

Spells were alright I guess, though I just used the Fire Mage for a few rounds
    need to see how the other 2 are

still the overall can be alot better, waiting for an update :)

7. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @MrStormyZ

Thanks for the reply.
    Hehe. It is not the bushes that cause lag to you. It is overall amount of doodads placed within visible range. That small area of arena contain 7200+ doodads. It really depends on the power of player's computer. Playing it I have no lag at all, only slight lag while second cinematic is running to an end and camera is being shown from very up high. To prevent this, I believe you should reduce game resolution.
    That amount is for you to take your time and read spell tooltips and item description, anyway, in v1.1 time have been reduced. By the way, you are not supposed to have many items while playing. I suggest to have 3 maximum, rest for potions. Well you have played only few battles, so you might get one item after 3rd or 4th battle if I remember correctly. This means you cannot have all items, you have to choose.

Anyway, soon gonna be updated with some minor changes.

8. Kino

Kino

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Love this map.

But there is one very glaring exploit.
    Fire and Shadow mages can teleport back into the start zone once a battle begins, thus melee units cant even hit you.

9. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks. :)

Oh sh*t! How could I have missed it!

10. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ice mage was my favourite, but only reached wave 4or 5 with him :/

11. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hehe, it is my favorite as well, but it is hardest of all specializations I think. The key to win would be: always try to delay as much time as you can to summon more and more frost elementals.

I'm glad you tried out my map, thumbs up for your models. :)

12. Rao Dao Zao

Rao Dao Zao

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is a pretty cool map. Atmospheric.

I got to the end of level 5 with Fire before the boss thing tore me a new one. :(

13. ccbb1

ccbb1

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great map.It has great custom terrains and spells and you can see the item u buy is on the hero.I got best with ice 9/10.the dino cannon or whatever is called i think it is too imba,and the below lane the house keep on blocking me is annoying and i can't see the enermys if they are going through there.I rate this map 4/5.Hope u improve on this map further :D:D:D and i may do a video on this map soon :D

14. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks. :) You should give it another shot, it always helps me to overcome the failure for example.

Well done with frost, hehe. Try to delay time to summon more elementals and save game after each battle, so you could stick to it, I think you know it well already :) What do you mean by saying blocking you? I may improve it sooner or later. Video sounds exciting, I'm glad you liked my map! :)

15. ccbb1

ccbb1

Resources:
    Resources:
    i mean the building is blocking my view to see enermys coming

16. anpoca

anpoca

Resources:
    Resources:
    Your map was looking very nice until I tried to learn the 1st skill. When I clicked on the skill selecting icon, the game fucked up and I couldn't play anymore. (maybe the fact I am playing or trying to play on a Mac is related)

17. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Cannot help you on that. Try to redownload. Also, you didn't give a proper reason to rate my resource 1/5.

18. anpoca

anpoca

Resources:
    Resources:
    My reason was because the map got fucked up. I already redownloaded twice. It still doesnt work. In fact, many of the maps I download at hiveworkshop crash, so in fact, you at least deserve a 3 for the opening cinematic (walking is quite realistic)

19. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No one else had complains about crashing and you blame my resource, because it crash to YOU? You rate resource 1/5 because of your own problems? Sounds like a typical downrate or just something's wrong with your Creative Mind.