• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Arena (Not the real name...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Arena

NOTE: This map is still a "work in progress" and any concepts, systems, abilities, spells, etc... are NOT final. That being said, I humbly present to you my latest project; The Arena (The map doesn't really have a name yet :/ )​

- An important thing to know about this map is that there are no "classes" or "races" or "heroes"... All the Gladiators the players play start out identically, earning 3 attribute points per level (Levels are gained by doing battle, with more XP going to the victor of the battle.).​

- Any criticism (constructive or otherwise), ideas and/or opinions concerning this project can be expressed freely. In fact, I would welcome to hear what you all think of this map.​

- This post (as the map) should grow with progress on the map (for instance, I have not yet implemented a list of abilities and spells because I don't know which or how many of those will exist).​

- To start off, the game revolves around "Gladiatorial" combat, which can be either of a PvP style or a PvE style. PvP (Player vs. Player) basically means the players will be pitted against each other in the Arena floor, while PvE (Player vs. Environment) means players will be challenged with scores of Creeps, either spawning right off the start or coming in waves, with the Creeps increasing in strength as the players progress through the game. Also, PvE features some rather interesting Bosses to fight against, each with their own strengths, "tacts", unique abilities and spells and their very own (though I don't yet know how thorough) backgrounds.​

- The game is enriched by it's own combat system, with blocking, parrying (You can only block and parry attacks if your attacker is in front of you. Also, you cannot parry ranged attacks.), dodging, missing, critical strikes (Critical Strikes aren't simple "x2 damage", but have specific effects depending on the attack type of the critical strike.), damage resistances for each damage type, 7 damage types (Shadow, Holy, Physical, Magic, Fire, Frost and Lightning), 3 attack types (Piercing, Blunt and Slashing) and more... (see the Combat System section for more details...)​

- The playing field of the whole game is the Arena floor. Here, players engage in combat either against each other or against Creeps or Bosses. The players use abilities and spells to do battle, all of which can be learned in the Training Room, where also players can learn specific Trainings (a.k.a. Upgrades) which increase a certain aspect of their Gladiator (for instance, the Marksmanship training course decreases the chance to Miss with ranged attacks by 1% per level.) at the cost of money and time. The main difference between abilities and spells however, is that abilities don't need mana to be used but generally have longer cooldowns and sometimes can cause fatigue in comparison to spells.​

- The five attributes shared by all Gladiators are, as already noted, Strength, Wisdom, Endurance, Agility and Intelligence. Your Gladiator should progress in stats most needed by his role (for instance, Endurance for a "tank"), but you should never completely ignore a stat you wouldn't usually use, basically because you need all your stats to function the best.​

- Strength is the attribute most needed if you want to do some serious damage in melee combat, but is also very useful if you want to be able to take massive amounts of abuse. It improves your melee damage, your chance to parry incoming attacks, your chance to block incoming attacks, and increases your melee hit chance.​

- Endurance, generally a very useful attribute, simply deals with the question of your health. It increases your maximum health and the rate you regenerate your health in combat.​

- Agility is most useful to Gladiators that wish to focus on ranged combat, but is also very useful to all types of Gladiators due to the ability to better dodge attacks and deal critical strikes. It affects your ranged damage, your ranged hit chance, your critical strike chance and your chance to dodge incoming attacks.​

- Wisdom is an attribute vital to spellcasting Gladiators, as it deals with mana. It modifies your maximum mana and the rate you regenerate your mana in combat.​

- Intelligence is another extremely valuable attribute to spellcasting Gladiators because it basically affects your spell's amplitude. Improves your spell's effectiveness and your resistance to spell effects.​

WARNING: The formulas noted below are NOT in a final state and can be changed at any given point in time during the map's development stages, be it for the initial release or any further updates.​

HP=100*END
MeleeDmg=WpnDmg*(STR/10)
RangdDmg=WpnDmg*(AGI/15)
SplDmg=(SplBaseDmg*(INT/10))*(1-target.SplRes)
SplRes=(INT*2)/100
DodgeChance=(AGI*2)/100
ParryChance=(STR*2)/100
HPRegen=END/4
Mana=25*WIS
ManaRegen=WIS/10
CritChance=(AGI/2)/100
RangedHit=AGI/100
MeleeHit=STR/100
BlockChance=(STR*2)/100

- The Combat System contains, as noted above, 7 damage types and 3 attack types, with each damage type having it's matching damage resistance. The Magic damage type applies automatically to all spells, even when noted the spell does, for instance, Fire damage (Instead, it will then deal Fire and Magic damage, allowing both resistance types to stack). Similarly, all mundane weaponry deal Physical damage, and all enchanted weaponry deal any damage type(s) noted AND Physical damage (As Magic with spells).​

- Basic attacks (called AutoAttacks) are made by taking a random number between 1 and 100. This is then compared to the chances of the victim of the attack of dodging, blocking or parrying the attack, as well as the chances of the attack missing and the attack striking a critical strike, until finally a result is forged. AutoAttacks deal damage relative to your Strength or Agility score (depending on whether you are making a melee or ranged attack.) and your weapon's base damage, and deal a number of damage equal to any random number between 75% and 125% of the damage calculated.​

- There is also a profound difference between dodging, blocking and parrying an attack. You can't block or parry attacks that do not come from in front of you, although you can dodge such attacks. If you wear no armour, your dodge score will be doubled to compensate for the loss of damage resistance. Your block score is 150% effective against ranged attacks. Your parry score is 150% effective if you are wielding two one-handed weapons.​

- The last but just as important thing to note is that the effects of your critical strikes vary from attack type to attack type. Therefore, Slashing attacks inflict victims with the Bleed debuff, which deals a number of damage to the victim over time approximately equal to 150% of the damage done with the attack. In contrast, Piercing attacks ignore damage resistances and deal bonus damage as well. Finally, Blunt attacks stun the victim for a number of seconds depending on the amount of damage done with the attack.​

- Items will play a major part in fights. Your current equipment will determine your attack, damage, damage resistance, stat enhancements, etc... Some items (called Usables, as in a combination of Use and Able) can be used on the spot to grant a bonus, restore health or mana, or even deal damage or weaken enemies in a targeted area.​

- Items can acquired by either getting them as a reward or by buying them. A Reward Point is granted each time a fight is won and five completely random items, all of the same power, and all matching the level of the victor, are chosen and put in the Reward Bin. All those random items cost 1 Reward Point but the Points can be saved to be traded later on as well, so you should always keep in mind not to spend all your Points at once. The five items are lost from the Reward Bin after a new batch of items is put in.​

- Epic items (items of the highest power, value and rarity) are only dropped from Boss fights in PvE mode and are extremely rare in PvP mode. Such items cost 2 Reward Points instead of 1, and are levelled according to the level of the victor.​

- Items can be sold to players just as well as vendored (sold to an NPC merchant). Such transactions require the seller defining a static price tag on the item, and require the buyer to give away the exact price in gold to the seller. Be cautious when using this though, as items put on for sale will not be obtainable by the seller again unless the new owner of that item, the buyer, sells it again.​

- Here is the Concept List for the items currently planned for this game, but for now just the equippable items of the game.

• Mace
  • Warhammer
  • Greathammer
  • Sledge
  • Morningstar
  • Flail
  • Quarterstaff
  • Club
  • Spiked Club
  • Dire Flail

• Longsword
  • Shortsword
  • Greatsword
  • Claymore
  • Falchion
  • Waraxe
  • Battleaxe
  • Saber
  • Hand Axe
  • Timber Axe
  • Greataxe

• Spear
  • Javelin (Ranged/Melee)
  • Katar
  • Dagger
  • Trident
  • Longbow (Ranged)
  • Shortbow (Ranged)
  • Light Crossbow (Ranged)
  • Composite Bow (Ranged)
  • Heavy Crossbow (Ranged)

• Leather
  • Studded Leather
  • Hide
  • Robe
  • Drakeskin

• Chainmail
  • Scale Mail
  • Strip Mail
  • Breastplate
  • Dragonscale

• Half Plate
  • Banded
  • Full Plate
  • Mithral
  • Darksteel

- Spells and Abilities are special "moves" that any Gladiator can use at any time (provided that the ability or spell he wants to use isn't on cooldown and that he has enough mana to cast the spell if it is a spell).​

- There is a difference between abilities and spells, three most notably. First off, casting spells costs mana, while using abilities does not. However, to compensate, abilities have generally longer cooldowns compared to spells. Also, using abilities in a row causes fatigue, which disables the Gladiator from using any spells or abilities for a while, and also decreases his attack speed, movement speed and hit chance for the duration of the effect. Secondly, abilities generally are linked to items, are more equipment related and so on and so forth, while spells are have no such connections. Thirdly, spells have a huge dependency on their caster's Intelligence score. A Gladiator with a low Intelligence score shouldn't even bother with learning any spells at all (maybe just a few).​

- Spells and abilities are learnt in the Training Room for gold, though each ability bought increases the cost of all other abilities (the same goes for spells) - so lets say you buy your first ability for 100 gold, with all abilities using the same price. After you have bought that ability, the cost of all the other abilities will increase from 100 to, for instance, 150 gold, and so on and so forth.​

- Spells and abilities are not leveled - their strength increases as your Gladiator rank (level) increases.​

- Here is the current Concept List for the spells and abilities currently in plan for the initial release of the map, for now just the spells.

• Firebolt
  • Fireball
  • Firestorm
  • Breath of Fire
  • Searing Heat
  • Inferno
  • Burn

• Frostbolt
  • Frostbite
  • Frost Armour
  • Icy Prison
  • Chill
  • Summon Water Elemental
  • Frostwave

• Stormstrike
  • Chain Lightning
  • Forked Lightning
  • Shock
  • Charge
  • Cyclone
  • Lightning

• Slowing Mud
  • Groundspike
  • Meteor
  • Hurl
  • Stoneskin
  • Stone Form
  • Petrify

• Shadowbolt
  • Summon Shade Minion
  • Shadowstep
  • Shadowwalk
  • Darkness
  • Curse of Weakness
  • Death Ripple

• Protection
  • Heal
  • Holy Bolt
  • Resistance
  • Divine Favour
  • Divine Strength
  • Smite

• Restore
  • Nature's Wrath
  • Entangle
  • Lifebloom
  • Sleep
  • Primal Rage
  • Strength of the Wilds

• None yet, sorry... :/

Current Progress: (21%)

- Please note that I will try to get as much stuff done as I can, but currently I'm doing this as a one-man show (though I would LOVE it if someone would join this project's development) so I do not expect this map going public in the near future...​

COMBAT SYSTEM: -> |||||||||| <- 80%
MAP: -> |||||||||| <- 60%
PvE ARENA SYSTEM: -> |||||||||| <- 0%
PvP ARENA SYSTEM: -> |||||||||| <- 0%
CHARACTER SYSTEM: -> |||||||||| <- 30%
SPELLS/ABILITIES: -> |||||||||| <- 0%
ITEMS: -> |||||||||| <- 0%
PvE BOSSES/CREEPS: -> |||||||||| <- 0%

Credits:

- This is NOT the full list. For now, credits are only due to the people from here on the Hive for the models I intend to use. If you see something in the map which you think belongs to you and if you aren't in the Credits of the map, please feel free to PM me so that I can fix it.​

.KC - for using his Villager model with extended animations​
Sunchips - for using the models from his Armours pack, Helmets pack and Shields pack​
Kitabatake - for using the models from his Medieval Weapons pack​

Recruiting:

- I am most definitely looking for assistance with this map (even if I wouldn't actually "need" it, I would very much welcome it), so if you are interested and you have some kind of mapping knowledge, feel free to PM me...​

Currently looking for:
- Spellmaker (Basically someone who can make a wicked trigger spell)​
- Idea Dude (A person who can come up with some pretty neat spells and abilities)​

- This part only deals with this post, and what I think I *should* implement here as soon as it is done on the map (or sooner, if I know what I'm doing).​
  • List of Creeps
  • List of Bosses
  • Training List
  • Screenshots from ingame...

- Simply the post's history and log (mostly just for me to keep track of my own changes).​
  • 28.11. - Post created.
  • 30.11. - Progress update, added History (lol), added Item Concept List (not finished), added the Items caption in the post, added Spells to the Progress list.
  • 5.12. - Progress update, added Items and PvE Bosses/Creeps in the Progress list, updated the Coming Soon part, fixed a few typos and grammar mistakes, added the Spells and Abilities caption with the Spells/Abilities Concept List (not final, but a roughly done model).

Last edited:
Level 4
first of all, thx 4 the reply :p

basically i dont think i can make huge arena fights with just 12 player slots (or is it just my thinking that that isnt enough), but thats what the pve is for, as pve was intended to be large amounts of creeps taking on the closest player they can (producing ur eye-candy filled massive fights)...

also, i forgot 2 note that this map had a maximum amount of 10 players (though with more work i can get that to 12 players, but as with all improvements, im "reserving" those for later releases)

thx again for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.