• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] How do you prefer to play your hero in dungeon/RPG type maps?

How do you prefer to play your hero in dungeon/RPG type maps?

• Cast lots of spells! Spells are a big/main part of your damage output

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Focus more on attacking, with longer cooldown spells to add some damage

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Focus mostly on attacking, with only very situational or passive spells

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
How do you prefer to play your hero in dungeon/RPG type maps? Do you

• Prefer to cast lots of spells, as often as possible? Spell casting is an important part of damage dealing for your hero.
  • Prefer that spell casting is not the main focus, but still a part of your damage output? Spells have longer cooldowns and attacking with your hero is more important.
  • Prefer to mostly attack, with only long cooldown, situational or passive abilities?

Answer in the poll above! It is much appreciated ;)

Last edited:
Level 6
Spells are a major part of any game, especially with dungeons and RPGs. Even for non-mages. With Warriors, for example, you can add lots of spells that empower your weapon with powerful strikes.

Level 17
Spells, whenever I see a game that has spells and skills that take a ton of mana or minutes of cooldown I instantly see a bad game design.
This I don't even mean in wc3 maps, but in regular games AAA quality even.

There are ways of using spells constantly without it being overpowered.
Long cooldown just means they were too dumb to think up something else.

Level 4
I agree with what Talavaj said, and also I would like to add that for the game to be more successful I believe having a build up is good too. So, maybe for the first little while as the hero gains his skills and the player learns how to use them effectively there is a slightly higher cooldown on the casts, but quickly is lowered as the player progresses out of the intro of the map.

Another thing with constant spells that is fun is combos. Not a lot of maps do this but combos from a single players hero casting in a specific order, or casting in conjunction with another players hero makes the game a lot more fun and action packed.

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
All I have to say about this question is these steps below.
1.Dowload map Diablo 3 New Tarisma or any other.
2.Play it.
3.Think about what you played and you will get your answer.
The map is fun cause off it short cooldown combo abilitys so go with the spell option

Level 5
Cool, thanks for votng and replying guys! Seems like the majority likes lots of spells. Do you agree that short cooldown, single target click spells are tedious?

Level 26
Depends on what else the player has to do and how much flexibility there is already. Spamming skills is not much different if it's monotone and if it requires a low amount of skill/decision. A major point of giving abilities mid/high mana/cooldown cost is so the player has to be tactical, save it for a worthwhile situation/get the best results and to appear as something special.

As Callahan hinted at, attacks might not be boringly designed either. Abilities do not have to be an improved attack/dmg source.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I feel a combat system should be dynamic. One way of achieving it is via spells but you can also do that with regular attacks. E.g. - an archer can have a "Fire Arrow" ability which doesn't deal a ton of damage but has a 1 second cooldown and allows you to manually aim your arrow. This also adds a sense of realism as archers are not 100% hit in real circumstances. As for melee weapons, that's more complicated though not impossible to think off.

For me, I prefer this approach :
Fight with a hero that can shift his line of combat [which is rare for people to make units which capability to shift combat lines], so it's more dynamic and not to static for battling.

As for the actual problem, I prefer to have minor skills to be possible to get spammed and have the main output skills [Ultimates and Deadly Skills] have very long cool down. This way it's allowing people to abuse weak spell for deadly effect and at the same time think wether they have to play aggressively to deal damage or launch their situational skill for maximum DPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.