• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are we prepared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Notice: The following thread is totaly theoritical and refers to a possible future event.

Hey people!
I was really concered yesterday.
I played 5 Dota 2 games and I got fine again.
Aaanyway.
It's been a lot of years since warcraft 3 was born.
It's been also a lot of years since this site was created.
It contains a great number of resources made by users.
Lets imagine that Warcraft 4 is created.
It will be a 201* game or maybe a 202* game or nothing, (imput a number in the *), so the game graphics will be improved compared to wc3.
Wc3 graphics were simple, if you allow me.
A kinda stretched texture accros a figure. Someone with some experience could made (just check the ammount of users who upload resources).
I don't say it was a piece of cake but it was easy and simpe.
However Wc4 won't have the same graphics and you know that well so no point explaining that.
If Wc4 has a World Editor, will the site be ready to create resources for it?
Will the users be ready to create models that look like hmmm Dota 2 models or WoW's (example)?
And when I mention users I don't mean 5% of the users who can create great resources [most talented (no rasism)]. I mean about at least 30%.
Your opinions below.
Please keep the subject's point alive.
Thanks.

Bottom line (anwer to this question is optional, you can just say your opinion):
Do you think that at least 30% this site's users, will be able to create resources for Warcraft 4?

Yes (1): Nuclear
No (1): Heinvers

Last edited:
Level 29
No, most of the users wont be able to create decent content, and most of them can't make decent content for WC3 either.
The people on this site are so used to getting endless appraisals for releasing bad models, they will never improve, since they don't have a motive.

In addition, you will end up with a new file format, which people will have to start reverse engineering again, and you'll be stuck with no tools, or with Blizzard's tools. This is the exact scenario that happened with SC2, and the situation there is ridiculous, forcing you to use their tools for software that is 4 years old and which you can't legally get anymore.
That and their petty try to get their editor and format as generic as possible, allowing you to do more things at the cost of endless bloat and complexity, is probably the reason SC2 modding is so dead, which of course contributes to the fact that nobody wants to make tools for it, which makes it more dead, and so on.

To be more specific, me and some other people here could easily (albeit it will take time) reverse engineer the unknown parts of M3 models, now that Art Tools are out (good job on releasing 4 years late, Blizzard), and possibly create tools like mostly-automatic MDX->M3 conversion, but for what? for who? for the 5 people that might be interested?

I don't see the situation being any different for WC4. But we all know WC4 isn't going to happen either way.

Reactions: Rui
Level 14
Dr Super Good, you mean in sc you can combine model's parts?

Dat-C3, hmm. 10%. Maybe. Maybe 10%. Maybe more. Maybe less.

GhostWolf, tho I didn't understood some terms you used, you got an answer with its points clear.

I should create a pool for this!

Thanks for your answers!

Carry on people!

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I always kept my faith for a future warcraft 4, but I begin to doubt it'll come. SC2 at least had e-sports as its pillar, whilst Wc3's jewel was its modding community. Take that away and there's no reason for another Warcraft RTS.

On the topic at hand, it depends more on Blizzard than the modelers, really. No doubt there is an inverse relation between the improvement on games' graphics and having a userbase with the ability to create custom ones for free. However, Blizzard releasing their tools only with Heart of the Swarm and, from what I gathered, to an outdated version of 3DSMax, was a bad call. I'm betting their idea was to pump up even more a modding scene they thought would be flourishing.

Level 14
Dr Super Good, wow. Just wow. Didn't knew that. Thanks.

Rui, so you say that Blizzard can't help users to create models with a good example Sc2 tools. Hmm. A good point.

gorillabull, true. If Wc 4's graphics are kinda complex, users with the ability to create em will ask for...gifts. And as Joker says: clickboooom!!

Thanks for your answers!

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Hmm no, what I said (or meant to say) was that Blizzard can help, but games' graphics are becoming way too complex for regular users to have/acquire the necessary experience to make models with those graphics—for free, because, if you have invaluable experience, you may as well do things and get paid, not mod for a random game.

Level 14
Pretty sure the map editing tools will be provided by Blizzard at, or soon after, the launch. Models might be doable with an already available 3D modeling software or some shit. Sure it'll be harder, but there are plenty of people out there with the necessary skills to make great mods.

Level 14
Rui, oh I see. So you agree with Joker, :wink: lol.

Heinvers, :prazz:. I'll add to you to the pool. Thanks for voting!

Nuclear, hahahaha! I'll also add you to the pool and thanks for voting.

GunSlinger21, taking in account it's already happening in Wc3, I doubt it won't happen in Wc4.

Orcnet, yeah. If not for some tools,it's gg.

Nuclear, same as Orcnet.

Thank you for your answers!!

Hmm no, what I said (or meant to say) was that Blizzard can help, but games' graphics are becoming way too complex for regular users to have/acquire the necessary experience to make models with those graphics—for free, because, if you have invaluable experience, you may as well do things and get paid, not mod for a random game.

True. Nowadays, game graphics are becoming more and more high res and models are high in polygons. Graphic artist and model creators with high experience put time and money for school or self improvement. They would never engage in creating mods for free.

As for complexity's sake, all I can say is that, its not really being complex but of the new file type that would come out and with this, as others are saying, new tools are needed to have these new file types useable.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

my_body_is_ready_gif_by_helliotose-d4w75we.png

Level 14
To Rui.
WC3 had E-sports a long time because it was one of the best micro based RTS SC and SC2 are not in the same category so blizzard might still one day do an WC4 (maybe in 2428) Perhaps one day SC2 will look outdated when everyone will have his brain plugged directly to an computer and so they will have to create an new RTS using the new technologies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Interesting question. To be honest, I'm not sure what "prepared" means... But hopefully... Yeah, I still hold out for a Wc4. But to be honest, I have all I need right here in III. I could probably do this for a long time to come...

except for stupid hard-coded abilities & idiotic buff-stacking!!

No, most of the users wont be able to create decent content, and most of them can't make decent content for WC3 either.
The people on this site are so used to getting endless appraisals for releasing bad models, they will never improve, since they don't have a motive.

In addition, you will end up with a new file format, which people will have to start reverse engineering again, and you'll be stuck with no tools, or with Blizzard's tools. This is the exact scenario that happened with SC2, and the situation there is ridiculous, forcing you to use their tools for software that is 4 years old and which you can't legally get anymore.
That and their petty try to get their editor and format as generic as possible, allowing you to do more things at the cost of endless bloat and complexity, is probably the reason SC2 modding is so dead, which of course contributes to the fact that nobody wants to make tools for it, which makes it more dead, and so on.

To be more specific, me and some other people here could easily (albeit it will take time) reverse engineer the unknown parts of M3 models, now that Art Tools are out (good job on releasing 4 years late, Blizzard), and possibly create tools like mostly-automatic MDX->M3 conversion, but for what? for who? for the 5 people that might be interested?

I don't see the situation being any different for WC4. But we all know WC4 isn't going to happen either way.
You make some disturbingly-good points, unfortunately...

Also, my response to the Bolded statement: You are absolutely correct. That's one thing about Wc3C that I will miss to the end of my days. : /

I will make wips in order to encourage users to complete projects. Does that count?
Hey, me too!! :p

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Warcraft 3 is 12 years old now, the age difference between wc3 and wc4 will be enormous.

Also didn't hl come 2004 or something? Yeah blizz fans are more patient, I don't see 2+2=4, Warcraft 4 confirmed - anywhere

Level 14
Kyrbi0, yea GhostWolf's answer is win.

Zwiebelchen, me too. I'll take advantage of all the new feautures WE will have (+ awsome graphics) and I'll create all the shit I can think of. Also *cough* Wc4 confirmerd.

GunSlinger21, yeah, Blizzard should stop making WoW expansions for a bit and concentrated on Wc4. You have to work on a confirmed game.

jondrean, age of Wc3 (according to ya) 12. 1+2=3. Difference bettwen title number 4-3=1. 3+1=4. You confirmed Wc4 :D !!!!!!

Kyrbi0, :prazz:

Nuclear,thread created at 07-17-2014. 0+7+1+7+2+0+1+4=22, 2+2=4!

Warcraft 4 confirmed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.