• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Arcade Game *Remakes*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Arcade Game *Remakes*

select4.jpg

Players will remake classic arcade games, into the WC3 engine.

Contest Rules And Conditions

* Need to be based on a flash game or a classic game
* Game has to be made within the period of this contest
* Can be made by your self, or with a partner for a -2 points.
* Must have a link to the original game in you submission.
* Has to have all credits shown in game.
* You may not import any triggers from any other map.

Contest Prizes And Winnings

* First Place: 15 reputation points and a special award icon
* Second Place: 10 reputation points
* Third Place: 5 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting

* Judges *
Shendoo2 (me)
Public Vote

* Judging Criteria *
Compare: Can you tell what original game was? = 5 points
Fun: How fun is the game? (repeatability) = 10 points

* 40% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
* 60 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Last edited:
Level 34
These aren't exactly classic games. I don't mind the idea, but basing them off AddictingGames.com is a terrible idea.

Level 18
Isn't this just a speed mapping contest? Please use that lay-out and rule template. Other then that, it's possible that people will be interested in making this. Although, usually when someone hosts a contest, they don't judge. Judges should never be allowed to participate, and I normally people submit a contest because they want to participate.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Seems pointless to make games that are already free for everyone via browser into WC3 maps as it just seems a waste of time.

SNES and NES on the other hand sounds more promising, the only problem is such games took many thousands of man hours to make, and I doubt people have enough free time to even make good replicas using WC3 which will handle a lot for them.

Also, I doubt the judges capabilities to judge looking at some of rattings posted by public users on some maps. Do not take this personally but for a person to become any major judge, they needs to have some level of fame or atleast show people that they are capable of preforming good reviews. Especiall with 40% of the results comming from them, there is nothing worse than people mal-judging.

Also I remember there being some issue over the public pools, resulting in people winning via popularity rather than winning via actual quality. Eg, Pyrite or MasterHoaisis could enter any old map no mater the quality and be almost garunteed to win the poll due to people mindlessly voting for them.

Thus why most contests now are 100% rattings from judges and we aim for atleast 2-3 of them who are as unbiased as possiable.

Level 38
Sounds relatively interesting, but like Dr Super Good said even SNES and NES games took a very long time to make. I remember re-making a Pokemon Red/Blue map based off of screenshots and it took me around two months to do just the terrain (it's for GB I know). + with all the units and game dynamics it would take close to a year for a team of people to make any of these games.

But arcade games like Pacman, Asteroids, Centipede, Space Invaders, etc. would be interesting to see and simple enough to be created by one person in less than a month. If you use the idea behind how the tileset I made works several of these games could be created incredibly accurately, at least from a terraining standpoint.

Overall I think this is a pretty good idea though, especially for the time frame of a contest. It should offer some interesting maps, even if the only difference they have over the maps they are based off of is that they are 3-D.

Level 9
The point of this would be to remake Any flash, classic, arcade game. And if this gets approved, someone else could host it if they want. I was just suggesting the idea. Idk if i get time i could host but if not i wouldn't be able to.

Why do people react like that? Damn it, this is an excellent contest idea... if the contest happens, it's gonna be a WIN for sure, since these maps wouldn't be an enourmous bunch of work to be made and would be probably fun and addicting.

Dr Super Good, why would this be pointless? Then, Phoenix Trial #5 was pointless, cause we were creating other versions of icons that already existed... then all the maps that try to bring a game to Warcraft are pointless?

Level 14
Yes, this has promise; it could turn out to be very fun. I love the classical arcade games.

Also, if you were to do a WC3 remake of snes/nes/GBA games, you could make it so it would be a complete demo level of the game. Not the game from start to finish. There are lots of great systems that could be made legal to save a large amount of time, such as redscore's rounds based battle system.

~Asomath

Status
Not open for further replies.