• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Appropriate damage for a Trap Hero ability.

Level 6
Basically, as per the title. I wanna make a custom Hero Trap Ability. I figured I could use something along the lines of the Far Seer's Feral Spirit as the base and create a 3-tiered Goblin Land Mine called "Explosive Trap" or the like with an increasing damage per level. What would be considered a fair progression for a simple "Boom, pure explosive damage in your face!"-ability in your mind?

Level 6
Well, the heroes and units on the map are sort-of regular. There is a bunch of selectable heroes with switched abilities. I imagine the original Warchasers would be somewhat comparable. Of course, there will be custom boss units/Heroes with some harsh pepper, both stat- and ability-wise. Also, I planned for a single player map. Nothing multi.

Weak standard units would be be pounded or outright killed by a standard mine, but larger standard units would be less damaged. The standard mine deals 700 damage, as far as I remember, so I suppose that could theoretically be the base output for a level 3 mine, where level 1 and 2 were somewhat lesser. Like 1/3 and 2/3 or whatever. 700 just seems like a lot for a non-Ultimate skill. To me, at least. As for detection, I guess some would be able to see them. I haven't really decided on how many True Sighters I'm gonna add to the enemies yet.

Level 11
I can't say for sure, but I think somewhere along the lines of 440 - 540 - 640 could work. Anything above 420 is enough to kill a Footman (the unit I use for a "Test Dummy"), and at level 3 its enough damage to almost-kill a LvL-1 Paladin, which (in my opinion) has pretty average health for a hero.

Level 25
As always - it depends :D
Is the hero in question a glass cannon? I.e. low health, low armor, slow, but has very high damage? Or is it tank? Does the hero have some other ability that allows him to easily escape, like Warden's Blink?
You shouldn't just look at a single ability, but at the whole hero who will have it

Level 6
I guess I'll go for 200-400-600 damage with a range incremental of 100-200-300, with half damage at a range of 200-400-600. Looking at other skills, like Death Coil, Storm Bolt etc., it doesn't seem overly overpowered. I guess a mana cost of 100 and a 30 sec. cooldown is fine. Hell, Entangling Roots has a 36 sec. duration at level 3, with 25 damage each second, so that's 900 damage in total for that.

I guess I'll playtest and see if it's utter crap or decent. It's for a rather light weight Ranger-type unit with Frost Arrows, Traps, Trueshot Aura and an Animal Companion Ultimate, a Bear with roughly an Infernal's stats.