• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[AOS] Tactics: Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
title.png

12 player aos style map
(8-12 players recommended)
(160 x 160 playable, 192 x 192 actual; Large Map)
current map size: 1.19mb (down from 1.39mb)

minimap is currently hidden
progress: 70%±5%
recoding/reworking alpha

Author's Notes
quote.gif

Table of Contents

CAUTION: LINKS CURRENTLY DO NOT WORK. (SCROLL DOWN)
Media

Author's Notes
Work in progress, in data/writing since '06

This map is the map I always wanted to play, and the map no one else has made.

If you have any questions or comments, or wish to pitch in somehow, leave a message here.

Change Log

Last edited:
Level 12
Contents

information_icon_new.gif
Basic Features

Casting Bar
A lot of spells in this map have casting times. With those casting times comes an animated casting bar to let you know how long you have left until the spell is finished casting. I am still debating which animation graphic I may or may not incorporate with the casting bar, as well as the possibility of adding spell haste to my map, but that is yet to be determined.​

Basic Weapon and Armor Types
Fists/Claws: Full Damage to All Armor types
Blade: Full Damage to All Armor types
Piercing: Reduced Damage to Leather and Robes
Piercing (Ranged): Reduced Damage to Leather and Robes
Sorcery: Bonus damage to heavy armor, reduced to Robes
Explosive: n/a

Robes: Reduced damage from Sorcery
Natural Hide: Bonus damage from Sorcery
Leather: Reduced damage from Sorcery and Piercing
Chain Mail: Reduced damage from physical
Full Plate: Heavily reduced damage from physical
Elven: Heavily reduced damage from all​

Weapon and Armor Forge
Most items can be upgraded through use of the "Forge". Similar to RO's style, the items maintain the same name, but are given "+#" suffix to show upgrade. Upgrades grant additional stats and are required by some recipes to forge stronger items.

Some strong recipes for forging will be a drop from high level creeps only and have penalties to counterbalance their strengths. I may just change the "drop" to a vendor changing his mind and allowing to sell a recipe, but that is still to be determined.​

"Spell Power" System
Items and abilities may grant "Spell Power" bonus. "Spell Power" affects damage, duration, and strength of your spells.

Example: If you have 200 Spell Power, and cast level 10 spell, the spell will have power equivolent to a level 25 spell.
This is not actual game data, but merely an example. I am balancing it with great caution, so do not take the above to reflect the actual stats.

Because of "Spell Power", all heroes will have access to multiple styles of play. I believe it will add great diversity to the 48+ Heroes I have planned.​

Cleave, Critical, & Evasion Stacking
If you have 1% critical item and another 1% critical item, then you will have 2% critical instead of 1.5%.

If you don't know of how they normally function, don't take too much into consideration. This is just something I've done to make it easier to determine your reflective hero stat.​

Ranking System
This is something completely optional. If you stay until the match is finished, you will be given "points" for it. This is to promote people playing through the game and not leaving prematurely.

Of course, winning will give you more points, but the points will be determined via mathematical equation, by calculating time of game, modes enabled, and kills/death ratio.

I plan to have Rank give visual enhancements to your heroes only.

If you wish you collect points, you must load your code at the beginning of the game. It will be a simple code to allow easy access. I am considering very high ranks to have allowed very slight bonuses, such as 10 speed, or 1% attack speed bonus, or the like, but that is yet to be determined.​

Bounty, Faction Bounty, & the Nemesis System

BOUNTY
Bounty is exactly what it stands for. How much money you will get for killing a player. In the multiboard, you will see your reflective bounty, as well as your nemesis (if you have one).

Your bounty will be determined by 3 things:
Your kill/death total,
your kill/death ratio,
and how long you have not died

This is to promote ganking and also serves as an in game balance system, where a good player is worth more money killed than a bad player. Bad players will generally have lower bounties, so I hope this system serves its purpose.​
FACTION BOUNTY
From time to time, your faction may announce a bounty on a player. Only your faction will know about this Bounty, and it will be shown through a red exclamation '!' mark above the enemy hero's head, not visible to that enemy player. Killing this bounty will reward your entire faction bonus gold.

Faction Bounty will be announced via sound, as to provide the other team warning, and it will only last for a certain time period. If you kill the faction bounty, your factions units will be temporarily blessed and your faction will split the reward for killing them.​
NEMESIS SYSTEM
If you die multiple times to the same hero, that hero will become your personal nemesis. This is more for bragging rights than anything, as a player with multiple nemesis titles will be the valuable player. I have yet to determine if there will be any bonus involved, but I believe the player killing their nemesis will be entitled to a celebratory buff or bonus reward.​

NPC Equipment, Bosses, & Item drops
I have taken the time to give every unit in this map an inventory to depict what weapons/armor they have.
A wolf will have his claws and his hide in his inventory, and possibly an item(which has the chance to drop).
A boss unit will have his weapon and armor equipped, as well as a very small chance to drop his items.

All hostile NPCs will have a selection of items equipped, with a very small chance to drop them. All nonhostile NPCs will have items equipped, if only to provide more flavor and a more RPG like feel. If no one else likes it, I know at least I will appreciate it. =)

Certain powerful recipes will also have a chance to drop from Bosses or high level hNPCs, to highlight the Battle Mode play. While War Mode will not have access to these, due to lack of available neutral players, I am considering alternative methods to allow creeps.​

Movement Abilities, Stat Watching, & Innate Stealth Detection
Every class will have their own spell book.

Each spell book will have their basic stats to review, such as critical, evasion, cleave, and other abilities, their stealth detection range will be listed, as well as an ability that grants them a movement type related to their class.

As of this moment, there are three movement styles. Blink, Sprint, and Teleport. Of the three, Teleport has the most range, but also suffers from a casting time.

How the player uses these abilities is up to them, but I believe that every hero should have some ability to enhance their escape, chasing, and movement capabilities.​

Customized Attributes System
This is something that I took long into consideration. I've completely thrown out Str, Agi, and Int and replaced them all with more reflective values.

The attributes in this map are now POWER, SPEED, and KNOWLEDGE, and each affect the units and heros in a multitude of ways.

POWER will grant hp, hp regeneration, damage, cleave, and critical.
SPEED will grant movement speed, evasion, and critical.
KNOWLEDGE will grant mana, mana regeneration, and spell power.

Example of how it works: If you have 200 power, you will have +200 hp, +.5 regeneration, +15 damage, +2% cleave, and +4% critical. This is not reflective of the actual statistics, but merely an example to show how it might affect your hero.

With this system, I am able to fully customize items and heros in more ways than the default WC3 system allows.​

Revival System
It's not so much as a system as it is a mechanic. Upon death, a tombstone will be placed over the area your hero died. You are granted sight of that tombstone. Certain heroes and items can revive your hero, but certain heroes have abilities to steal your hero's body, so it is up to your team to guard your corpse if the enemy has a hero with those capabilities.​

information_icon_new.gif
Game Modes

Battle Mode (6v6)
This is the primary mode in Tactics: Kingdom. I am designing the entire game around this mode, and the additional modes are more for fun than anything else.

This pits the East side against the West side. Lore being that the left side is the "Good" alliance side defending, while the right side is the "evil" horde side attacking.

The main objective of this mode is to reach the main faction building and destroy it. There are two catches to this, however. The final boss is buffed beyond belief until you destroy the "generators" powering it. The generators grant invulnerability bonuses to the final building and boss, and also massive stat bonuses. While it is possible to win the game without killing both generators, it is much harder to accomplish. Because the map has 2 bases and 2 generators per faction in battle mode, this gives the factions a chance to fight back and turn the battle over.​

War Mode (3v3v3v3)
This is an alternate mode in Tactics: Kingdom. This splits up the 4 bases and pit them against eachother in a battle for dominance. Instead of a final building and boss, your final building will be the generator and once a faction is killed, the other armies will storm forward to the next opponent until all enemies are destroyed. As of now, this mode removes passive and hostile NPCs from the game, so it is much more limited and focused on Faction vs Faction fighting rather than being able to creep.​

Arena Mode (1v1v1v1v....)
This is an alternate mode in Tactics: Kingdom where the host must set the maximum kills, so that you may determine how long the match lasts. This is more for fun and practice microing or learning hero vs hero strategy.

Each hero is given a scroll to take them to the primary shops and are granted invulnerability as long as they're in town. They have an X minute time limit to purchase goods, and cannot revisit the town until they die, or unless they buy another scroll. The scroll has a casting time, so as not to be used in combat.​

information_icon_new.gif
Sub Modes

Short Mode
This mode reduces building hit points globally, increases passive gold gain, and increases exp gain slightly.​

Expert Mode
This mode allows you to attack your allies (to break CC), reduces the passive gold gain, and grants access to all expert modes.​

Beginner Mode
This mode removes the ability to attack allies for any reason, increases the passive gold gain, and disables all expert options​

No Towers -Expert Mode-
This mode removes all towers from the map. This is a defenseless mode.​

No Creeps -Expert Mode-
This mode removes all creeps from the map. This is a creepless mode.​

Resources Mode -Expert Mode-
This mode enables resource capturing. In certain locations of the map, there are resource capture spots. To gain control, you must destroy the current node. Your node will be built upon killing the current node. Having nodes will increase your factions annual resource gain, depending on what kind of node it is. Gold, silver, etc.​

Territory Mode -Expert Mode-
This mode enables territory capturing. So long as a team controls a certain territory flag, their team gains basic sight of that area. The flag regenerates quickly, so it will not die from hit and runs, but must be attacked consistently in order to capture it.​

Capture The Flag -Expert Mode-
This mode enables capture the flag mode. Every so often in this mode, a flag will spawn in the center. It is up to the faction players to collect the flag and bring it back to their base. Upon capturing the flag, the faction is awarded with gold and a slight buff to their faction units. Once you have the flag, two things happen: you become snared and sight is shared with your enemy. If you die while carrying the flag, it will spawn at your corpse.​

Last Man Standing -Expert Mode-
This mode enables "last man standing". This means that killing the faction base will not finish the game. You must completely wipe out the opposing faction's heros to win. After X time, the opposing faction's hero will be revealed.​

continued...
flight.gif

Last edited:
Level 12
Contents

information_icon_new.gif
General Information

Generators
There is one generator in every base. In battle mode, generators serve as a tool to power up your faction boss and your faction's ultimate building. In war mode, generators serve as your final building. They are key buildings in both modes to destroy.​

Faction Bosses
Faction bosses are only available in battle mode. They serve to guard your faction's ultimate building and hold off the incoming swarm to give you a chance to turn the game around. They are not to be taken lightly, especially if both generators are powering them.​

The Alamo
The Alamo is your last stand. When both your generators are down, you will have your final building, your faction boss, and your heroes to defend. While it is possible to fight back and win, the odds are stacked against you, seeing how you lost at least 1 of your bases. I wanted to have this in my map so that each team had a chance to pull the game out from under the other.​

Portals
Within a short distance of each base's healing fountain lies a portal. This portal will teleport you to the neutral staging area, which has 4 paths leading to their corresponding town. When you revive, you spawn within the neutral staging area with a brief period of invulnerability to protect you from being ganked. This allows you to choose which town you want to start in and also opens up other possibilities. Because all players can use these portals, this means that players can also offensively use the portals to finish off enemies healing at their fountains. There are also shops in this area that sell items you can only get there. To prevent abuse, this area is located off the playable map, and is not located on the minimap to be seen.​

Items, Shops, and More!
There are base items with singular stats, recipes to merge those items into more complex ones, recipes to forge those complex items into items of even greater power, and even Item Sets.
Unlike most games with items, I take the time to balance each item while keeping their effects and abilities well documented and thought out.

In every base there is a myriad of shops to purchase the goods necessary to help forge the character you enjoy playing most, as well as a handful of shops in the neutral staging area and a few hidden eggs scattered around the map. I also have a randomized rare item shop planned that will randomly sell a handful of items at certain times during the game, which will add to the competitive game play, as you will be competing with your enemy to attain certain items before each other.​

Item Sets
Have you ever played Diablo? Same kinda thing. Certain items will share names and collecting multiple of that set will grant extra bonuses. They will not be upgradable via Forging, but they won't need to be.​

Hero Information

I just wrote a page of information out, and I got some bologna error message stating that my information was lost, so I apologize for the lack of writeup this entails.

As it is, there are 59 Heros that I have mapped out and planned. Their stats, their skills, everything.I've currently only implemented 11 of them in the game, and I'm working on tweaking their skills to exactly how I want them to work. As well as writing descriptive tooltips. A few of the heros are not unique
to the gaming world, but are definitely unique to WC3 and were interesting enough to turn my eye. I'm hoping that they'll be able to turn yours as well.

The MAXIMUM level is 35 in my game. While it is not needed to win, it serves as a level cap. Every hero is armed with 3 basic abilities with 10 levels, a super ability with 6 levels, and
specialized attribute bonuses with 10 levels. To top it all off, a movement ability that will assist in whatever the player chooses to use it for.

As it stands, there are 6 levels of super, but you require level 36 to attain it. This, of course, means that you cannot get the level 6 spell naturally, but I am currently working out how I want a player to acquire their spell. I may have it require a boss kill, but that is still yet to be determined.

All together, there are 35 skill points points to spend, and 45 places to spend them.You must choose your hero's specialization, granting a more customized feel to your play, as well as allowing players to play a multitude of ways with every hero. Hopefully it won't be too complicated, but allow the possibility of complication for players interested in it.​

information_icon_new.gif
Video Footage
navbits_finallink_ltr.gif
Fire Mage - Call Meteor
new_meteor.avi - FileFront.com

Shadow King - Shadow Walk
shadow_walk.avi - FileFront.com

Pet - The Long Ranger
long ranger.avi - FileFront.com

The Casting Bar
The Casting Bar.avi - FileFront.com

forum_new.gif

4.1 Images
before.png

AFTER.png

more coming soon...
flight.gif

forum_new.gif

information_icon_new.gif
Change Log

Update, 5/27/09;
Haven't updated this in a while. A few months, really. I've been busy with a lot of things.

I've expanded the map size to remove the "immediate black stops" on the edges, as to add more flavor to the map as well as make it more appealing and less mechanical. I've also started to revamp many areas of the map to really add more to the fighting aspects of the game, as well as added multiple levels of tree HP so that certain trees take more umph to destroy. I haven't worked on more heroes yet, but I've been focusing on learning JASS trigger work as well as revising parts of the map that could look much better. I've also added a small hazy fog to the map, as well as a few more easter eggs. I don't know why, but I'm plagued with this obsession of hiding things in my map.

At the moment, one of my primary concerns is loading time. I've devised a simple script that has allowed me to place units, get their coordinates and data, and then remove them from the actual editor map file and place them using triggers. I'm hoping that with a small introduction after loading, I can have all the units/buildings load up on the map with little to no lag. That's, of course, after using all of the doohickies that remove size and promote speed.

At this very moment, I'm finishing up the Multiboard. I think the main problem I have is that I'm so obsessed with perfection that every little detail has to be just the way my eyes see fit, so I'm constantly shifting things 1 pixel at a time, then checking how it looks. The end product is going to be great, but it's probably going to take a little longer to finish than I had expected. And I mean finish in the sense that it will be a playable map, not that I will stop updating or adding to it.

To my friends suggestion, I've added a "Nemesis" system to the map. It involves being killed by the same person more than once, and functions similar to the system in Team Fortress 2. The bonuses either player will receive is up to discussion at this time.

I raised the map size to 192 x 192, from it's original 160 x 160, to add more scenery to the edges of the map. Since I'm going to be making a custom minimap and binding the camera boundaries to the original map size, I think it will turn out quite nice. You won't be able to see hidden areas on the minimap, but you will be able to visit them, assuming everything is checked out.

forum_new.gif

Update, 5/27/09;
Haven't updated this in a while. A few months, really. I've been busy with a lot of things.

I've expanded the map size to remove the "immediate black stops" on the edges, as to add more flavor to the map as well as make it more appealing and less mechanical. I've also started to revamp many areas of the map to really add more to the fighting aspects of the game, as well as added multiple levels of tree HP so that certain trees take more umph to destroy. I haven't worked on more heroes yet, but I've been focusing on learning JASS trigger work as well as revising parts of the map that could look much better. I've also added a small hazy fog to the map, as well as a few more easter eggs. I don't know why, but I'm plagued with this obsession of hiding things in my map.

At the moment, one of my primary concerns is loading time. I've devised a simple script that has allowed me to place units, get their coordinates and data, and then remove them from the actual editor map file and place them using triggers. I'm hoping that with a small introduction after loading, I can have all the units/buildings load up on the map with little to no lag. That's, of course, after using all of the doohickies that remove size and promote speed.

At this very moment, I'm finishing up the Multiboard. I think the main problem I have is that I'm so obsessed with perfection that every little detail has to be just the way my eyes see fit, so I'm constantly shifting things 1 pixel at a time, then checking how it looks. The end product is going to be great, but it's probably going to take a little longer to finish than I had expected. And I mean finish in the sense that it will be a playable map, not that I will stop updating or adding to it.

To my friends suggestion, I've added a "Nemesis" system to the map. It involves being killed by the same person more than once, and functions similar to the system in Team Fortress 2. The bonuses either player will receive is up to discussion at this time.

I raised the map size to 192 x 192, from it's original 160 x 160, to add more scenery to the edges of the map. Since I'm going to be making a custom minimap and binding the camera boundaries to the original map size, I think it will turn out quite nice. You won't be able to see hidden areas on the minimap, but you will be able to visit them, assuming everything is checked out.
forum_new.gif

Update, 1/20/09;
Addendum to the overhaul:
I am changing the way hero stats work in the map, so that there will be less trouble transitioning when I eventually port the heroes to my upcoming project. I am changing STR/AGI/INT to POWER/SPEED/KNOWLEDGE, as well as how the stats function entirely. Also changing the way abilities work, by using the hero stats and integrating them with hero abilities.

All in all, the map has just become a whole lot more interesting(to me and friends). I can't wait to get the systems finished and heroes re-done, so I can show it to all the friends who have been waiting patiently for this map to be tested again.
forum_new.gif

Update, 1/14/09;
Just started a complete overhaul on the abilities system, so that I can control spell power in a much more fluid way. As well as visually 'alter' a few of the game mechanics so that I can add a few things I'd like into the mix.

Also started the finishing touches on capture the flag mode, made last man standing mode give the last man ridiculous powers/stats for fun, and mapped out how I am going to script territory and resource mode.

I've added a few heroes to the mix as well. Flame Ranger, Mortar Team, and Grave Keeper. Also a partial hero list if you scroll down.
forum_new.gif

Update, 12/18/08;
Still working diligently on the map. Currently focusing on adding 3 new heroes at the moment. The three new heroes are: Berserker, Battle General, and Servant of Khu'Alim. I'm happy to say that all three of these heroes excite me. The more I work on them, the more I change how their play style can adapt and be customized and played differently based on the skill of the player. I can honestly say that anyone who is interested in an alternate style of AOS and is tired of all those boring heroes with ez-mode skills will find something they like in this map and in my works.

The tally of heroes as of now:
5 completed heroes,
3 in the making,
40+ waiting to be made

There's still a lot of work to be done, but I need to alpha test and balance my hero numbers as well as base items before I can push past the current alpha stage. I think once I hit around 12 heroes, I'll start adding other items, but I want to wait until I get a better idea of how the map currently plays with multiple players before I add more things that have an impact on gameplay.
forum_new.gif

Update, 12/2/08;
I've added two new heroes to the fray, as well as fixed the Fire Mage crash bug. Currently adding two more heroes, but I've yet to figure out exactly how I want these characters to work. Compared to the 4 finished heroes already in-game, they lack a special quality needed to meet my standard(I need to make them better/more versatile).

While progress is a little slower than I have intended(my alpha testers went on vacation), I am quite happy with how the map is turning out.

I would stipulate that by the end of January, I will have items and enough playable heroes done to have an actual game played. Once I have 12 heroes, I will be focusing on testing and balancing numbers. Until then.
forum_new.gif

Update, 11/5/08;
Completely overhauled the map.
Redid how everything was referenced and organized.
It's so much less a messy desk, and more a neatly organized file cabinet.

I've added a few submodes, "Darkness" mode, which removes allied vision, and "Casablanca" mode, in which everyone became black and white colored, but I am still unsure if I want to use it seeing how icon/gui would still remain colored. I've also changed the map to ALPHA status, which is more correct than BETA, seeing how I don't have the map completed, but mostly pieced together. I still have to items, about 30-40 more heroes(God help me), and get the neutral behavior scripts for War mode back up.
forum_new.gif

Update, 10/22/08;
I've taken the liberty of adding a few new modes, as well as visual delights and minor changes in the way I decided to write the map. I need to finish up the basic scripts, add some heroes to taverns, and start working on the item/recipe scripts. I've taken a shortcut to my neutral behavior problem temporarily, and will be focusing on the 6v aspect until it is ready, then moving on to the 3v aspect.

forum_new.gif

Last edited:
Level 9
While I can't say immediately if I want to play this until I learn about a few more gameplay elements (such as what heroes will be available and how they're dealt with), most of what you have here is interesting and there are more than a few options available. Perhaps go more into depth about the objective of Battle Mode? What happens after you destroy the power generators? (I presume you have to kill the faction leader and/or the ultimate building.)

Level 17
That.. is.. one.. big.. list..
And that map must be massif! =:O

It also seems rather complicated, but it sounds very nice. I gues when you get used to it, it will be an uber map. ^^
Yeh, I'm sure that it's a map I would play.
I gues if it's as good as the description I might play it on a weekly basis if I have the time. xD

It realy seems interesting to me. Can't wait for it to be complete! =:D

- Good luck with completing it.

Level 7
This map sounds very interresting, all the different game modes will make a game exciting and fun to try. This map contains various of great ideas like the spellbar and the armor upgrade system, then there is the item forge system which is and general oldschool system and is and perfect fit into most maps. Caster damage system, interresting idea with adding more spellpower to the carrying unit, example. And spell does 200 damage and a unit gets and armor giving it 50 spell damage, that makes the spell do 250 damage and that idea isn't seen by many people. This map is full of many new interresting systems and ideas really well made, and the ranking system sounds really good though.

Final Feedback : The map idea is complicated and sounds nice, this is really fitting into the name. I just cant wait for this map ;)

Goodluck with all the rest of this map, and if you need somekind of help, im free.

Status
Not open for further replies.