• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[AOS] Rebellion of the Horde (my project this summer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
2iasg7d.png

[ Rebellion of the Horde ]
By Void

Twenty years ago, the Tauren fulfilled their agreement with Thrall and were allowed to leave the Horde to continue on with their peaceful lives. Five years ago, however, Thrall died; and the new Warchief, Gondram, invaded the great Tauren city of Thunder Bluff and oppressed the shamanistic race into military slavery. For four years the Tauren obliged simply because they could not muster enough force to defeat the Horde, but now a new leader has arisen amongst the Tauren, someone eager to win freedom for his people. His name is Cloudhoof. One year ago, he started a rebel organization against Gondram known as the Earth Templars, sending druids in stealthy cat form into the city of Gondrammar (formerly known as Orgrimmar) to assassinate Horde military leaders.

Six months ago, the Darkspear tribe declared war on both Gondrammar's Horde and Cloudhoof's Earth Templars, as their current leader Hui'Jin and his council of shamans believed that, according to a prophesy several decades ago by their old, legendary leader Vol'Jin, the races of the Horde would eventually fight to the death and only one would survive in the end.

In Rebellion of the Horde, join forces with the Orcs in their battle to maintain supremacy, join the Earth Templars on their quest for freedom, or join the Darkspears in their fight for survival. Choose from 24 powerful heroes and 9 leader heroes and fight to the death in this epic three-way AoS. Buy enchanted items and potions to aid you in battle, or consult the help of a mighty Bronze Dragon to turn the tides of a full-scale war.

Leader Heroes are a special feature in RotH; each team has one player who can pick a Leader Hero (red, yellow, gray). These Leader Heroes have powerful auras and spells that affect the creeps in a lane, allowing for stronger assaults on enemy bases and outposts. They also have a lot more HP and mana than a regular hero. If you're playing as a Leader Hero, your primary goal is to wreak havoc on the enemy teams' bases.

• Horde Leader Heroes consist of the Warchief (STR), the Master Warlock (INT) and the Frenzied Battlemaster (AGI).
  • Earth Templar Leader Heroes consist of the Chieftain (STR), the Great Shaman (INT) and the Feral Druid (AGI).
  • Darkspear Leader Heroes consist of the Warlord (STR), the Voodoo Priestess (INT) and the Bloodrager (AGI).

There are no towers in RotH. Instead, teams have camps of units that you can only temporarily destroy, as they will fill up again after a few minutes. This kinda balances out the fact that every leader hero is an imba pusher, and it makes the game a bit more interesting and strategic. Each team also has some other kind of defense, like the Darkspear tribes have serpent wards all over the place (you can also buy serpent wards as a hero and place them), the Tauren have totems that will either shoot fire or buff creeps, and the Orcs just have stronger outposts (Orcs get a scout tower that will be manned by a ranged unit in each outpost).

The objective of the game is to destroy both enemy teams' bases. Pretty simple, huh? Yeah, that's the bit that categorizes the genre and isn't going to change. However, there are several different ways of doing this. You can charge their base with a huge army (usually what a team with a STR leader would do), you can enlist the help of the Bronze Dragon and buff the fuck out of him while he destroys the base (usually what a team with an INT leader would do), or you can infiltrate the base stealthily and destroy the defenses from the inside out (usually what a team with an AGI leader would do). Either way, it's going to be chaotic as it's a three-way battle, and a good strategy will always prevail.

The Team:

• Me. I make the terrain, I make the concepts, and everything else that isn't being made by someone else.
  • I need an artist to make me a kickass loading screen depicting orcs, trolls and tauren fighting each other. The loading screen should have 3 for each race (the 3 leader heroes) casting their spells and using their abilities. If you're interested, send me a PM with any questions and a sample of your work.
  • I need someone who is really good with vjass and can help me with the more complex spells and systems, and basically do a lot of the behind the scenes shit so I don't have to. Again, if you're interested, send me a PM that sums up your overall knowledge.
Team members will recieve +10 rep, for all it's worth, and credits on the loading screen and in the map.

More info on the map will come as I continue making it over the summer; right now really all I've done is concepts, imported some models and set up a layout of the terrain.

Last edited:
Level 3
Interesting story, looking foward for this project!

Question, is it 100% Orc based map? Such as, heroes will all be orcs?

Level 36
There is an orc team, a tauren team, and a troll team. There might be a few exceptions, like maybe a centaur hero or something else that fits the Barrens theme.

Doesn't anyone have any more feedback on the concepts? I'm going to post some screenshots soon.

Last edited:
Level 15
interesting concept, but it gonna be rather hard to make all 3 races original, since horde races are kinda similiar. hope they won't differ only in names and skin (mane) color.
BTW, the world 'templar' doesnt fit Tauren, imho. its more of a paladin/religion/knight theme, a bit more civilized.

Level 8
You are making a map again, nice.

If you need any vJassing help I can help when I have time. ( I have pretty much no time now, but after this week situation should change .. )

Anyways, remember to plan your heroes very carefully. Heroes are the most important thing, so make sure that they are fun to play.

edit. I would not say that shitloads of triggered spells suck. Usually they do, because when people start triggering some spells they tend make them too complex. Spells should be pretty simple, so you learn fast how to use them.

Level 8
Spammable spells with low cooldowns. Loads of bang biff zap poof and pof -action where heroes beat the shit out of each other. Spells should require some aiming and timing. ( Missiles, AoE damage thingies, such as Leap attacks and dashing spells )

And spells ofc need cool effects. Everything must be spectacularry amazing as well as nice and smooth.

If you feel like some idea might be cool, then do it instantly.

Also make base defense very weak, so people can end the game with one good push. Heroes should also be able to move from one lane to other so fast that they can move from attack to defend their base fast enough and then counter attack quickly and stuff like that... ( in other words they should be running all around like headless chickens alla time. )

I dont really know. I got shitloads of crazy ideas, but I have no idea if they work in practice.

Level 36
I'm pretty sure weak base defenses wouldn't work. Since I'm a nonstop DotA player and I also play some other AoS maps occasionally, I know the mechanics of an AoS map pretty well, and one thing that's very important is to make sure that you have to kill off the entire enemy team or get a huge level advantage in order to destroy the base, otherwise people will just sneak up when nobody's looking and boom, game over.

As for spells, maybe we could do something with that bomb system you made for the Alchemist map, like a Batrider firebomb or a boulder toss or something.

Level 8
Well, yea, backdooring could indeed be a problem, since there are 3 teams and everything.

I could tweak that bomb system little and maybe come up with some projectile system, that could do that and more.

Would have to make some nice unit recycler for projectile dummies, since CreateUnit is so slow.. With proper recycling it would be possible to have shitloads of projectiles flying around without any lagg.

I see what I can do..

Level 36
I think that sounds very nice. As soon as I get screenshots up I'll try and get one. Screenshots will come by the end of the day, I'm working pretty hard on this terrain.

EDIT: Added some VERY wip-ish screens of the terrain around the Troll base.

Last edited:

HFR

HFR

Level 22
No. Most of the map's filesize will go into custom unit models, as there really aren't very many Horde-ish models already in WC3. If I can find a tree I like, I might use that, but there isn't anything in the UTM that really works for me.

You don't need to import the whole UTM. Importing a tree here and a tower there will not increase the size. Maybe just importing 1 or 2 of the UTM barrens tree.

Level 6
i see no forsaken?
well, they're probably just hiding inside their undercity, waiting to come out and kill whoever wins when the strife is over.

Level 6
whatever. even if they were, i doubt they'd actually join the battle. They'd probably not even kill whoever wins. their alliance with the horde is far too beneficial for them.
though, that gondram dude doesnt sound like sombody wanting to ally with the forsaken. more like have some warlocks try and control them(if they could, but since they wrested free of the lich king, control is probably not exactly easy)

Status
Not open for further replies.