• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] AOE spell with DOT buff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I have a an AOE spell. And when i cast it at an area i want it to add a buff to the units in the area that deals damage over time to them. How can i do this? I couldnt find an "Add buff to unit" action. I tried adding the immolation buff to the ability but that didnt work either. And how to exactly make the targets take the dmg over time with triggers?

Level 17
The spell im using is cluster rockets, i dont see how flame strike can replace it. And the passive poison thing wont work if the targets move away from the dummy unit will it? And lastly, how do i add a buff to the targets?

Level 21
Flame strike can replace it because it adds a DoT to any units in the flames.

Buffs are no more but visual indications a certain spell has been cast. To actually have the "effect" of a spell, such as the poison DoT from Warden, you need to actually cast the spell on each unit within range.

Level 5
You guys don't seem to comprehend that maybe he wants the missile effect created by Cluster Rockets?

Here's what you do.

Make a trigger. Event should be "A unit starts the effect of an ability". Check that the ability cast is the cluster rockets one you made.

Now, make a dummy spell. Your best bet would be to make a dummy acid bomb. Modify it so it deals the same damage to all units (make the primary and secondary damage the same), remove the armor debuff, and set the duration accordingly. Also make the radius of effect the same as the radius of your cluster rocket spell. If you want a visible buff, then make a custom buff and assign it to the dummy spell. Also, you should remove the missile art from this dummy spell or it'll look stupid. I'm hoping you know how to make dummy spells, because I'm not gonna explain the rest, since it's no different than making any other dummy spell (mana cost, etc.)

Make a dummy caster. I really hope you either already have one or already know how to make one, because I am NOT explaining it to you. If you already have a dummy caster, add the custom acid bomb you made to it (if that's how you cast.). If you add the ability to the caster inside the spell's trigger, then do that instead. As long as the caster has the acid bomb ability in the end, that's all that matters.

Next, in the trigger we made, create the dummy unit and order it to cast Acid Bomb at the Target Location of Ability Being Cast. (Or Target Point... my GUI knowledge is very foggy) For decent accuracy, add a Wait-Game Time count of about .4 seconds before creating and ordering the dummy unit. For perfect accuracy... Use JASS, loops, and timers.

Make sure you clean leaks and remove the dummy unit in the trigger, and all that good stuff. Hope this helped you!

Status
Not open for further replies.