• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Spell] Aoe damage and spells, do they utilize region searches for detection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Let's say I command my Archmage to use Blizzard on a location.

How does the game detect which units to damage?

Does the game call ALL units on the map and then individually check to see if each unit is in that small circular region for each damage period?

I must know how this works since I have several ideas utilizing aoe effects that would actually trigger insane lag if this was true.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
It searches in a radius around the target point. Pick every unit within 300 range of target point of ability being cast. I imagine the game would run like complete crap if it worked the other way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.