• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Anyone wanna make a multiplayer RPG w/ me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
At this point, I'm looking for-

talented terrainers
talented object editors (specifically with imports w/ destructables and doodads)
recruiters
talented vjassers
c#, c++, or java programmers for a spiffy tool that are familiar with storm.dll

I am not looking for-

triggerers
testers
modelers
texturers
composers
voice actors
etc, etc ; P

About me-
I'm a master vJASS/Lua coder that can code pretty much anything in Warcraft 3. I also know c#, Java, c++, c, perl, php, javascript, etc. I can do web dev and music composition as well.

Sample of previous work-
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/encoder-2-0-2-2-a-189883/

Some story
Disciples of chaos start corrupting the church under an old being named Heknar from the original world. The world was initially created by Astors, but when it was war torn by Heknar, the first world was locked away into another dimension and a new one was created in its place. In that war, Astors called many gods from all over the place and for the second, those gods stayed there and fashioned races after themselves.

Heknar warped the locked dimension into a place of chaos and eventually ripped through it making a portal far in the north to the new world. He started sending disciples to the new world and created a network via the churches so that he could expand his control.

In the tropical island, the players find a crystal in the abandoned temple. That same crystal had corrupted Heknar and turned him into the insane demi-god that he was. You learn more about it and travel to the central continent where you meet up with a priest named Ahruman. Ahruman is corrupt and his church is part of the network and he attempts to take the shard for himself. You end up fighting him in the deep dungeons of that church where you see him transform into a demonic being.

Heknar has three primary generals- Lich Kerosh the Plague Bringer and two others that I can't remember the names of atm (Kerosh is the coolest tho ^^).

The dragons are a noble race created by Astors, but very few remain (most of them died in the war, the old world consisted of humans and dragons as well as corrupt creatures formed by the crystal).

The crystal is sort of the heart of the entire universe and an extremely powerful being named Deimos is searching for it. He was trapped in that universe (a machination) by Nimhdu. Outside of the universe is another reality of extraordinary beings, and Nimhdu had the idea of converting all matter of that reality into a more perfect material. He devised the machination and locked Deimos, the opposer, into it. Deimos appears bad as he's a mass destroyed (Deimos the Slaughterer), but he is actually a good guy and Nimhdu is the bad guy (Nimhdu is trying to overtake all of the other beings and tricked them; Deimos was the only one who saw that, hence why he was locked away).

So it's really a mass plot of never knowing who your friends and enemies are until the very end. Heknar is just a crazy dude who happened to find the heart of the universe ; ).

Anywho... plan on epic boss fights, epic dungeons, and save/load. I also plan on 0 grinding. The story of this and all of the designs have been underway for nearly 10 years now and I've just been trying to start it up somewhere... rofl

If it sounds like your cup of tea and you're confident in your abilities, try joining up and we can make this game together so that we can play it >: D. Yea, I want to make it so that I want to play it, selfish huh ;p.

I also have lots of cartography software for showing my ideas (www.profantasy.com).

Simple picture of central continent
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...aos-multiplayer-rpg-save-load-continent-1.zip

That foresty area is where Kerosh is. South of that is the first city you go to. South of that is the little island I made in the map =D.

To the east of the foresty area are mountains (haven't made them yet). More west gets more foresty. You see a desert, and far, far north it gets snowier and that's where the primary portal is around (probably in a more northern continent).

made that map with profantasy =p.

edit - in the map
For units like a footman, I think that they need to be scaled down to .4 size... not sure on proper scaling >.>. The alcove should fit a decent sized village, and something like a barracks would have to be bloated up if it were to be normal relative to a footman... .3 on footman looked good for barracks of size 1, but that looked back relative to terrain.. I'm sure someone else would be better at figuring out the right scaling ;P.

Attachments

• The Path of Chaos.w3x
    926.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Level 31
So yea... here's the latest that's going on.

king joined the team and is working on an inventory system.

I perfected AdvDamageEvent to have no bugs and am now working on an AttackIndexer. We're still not sure if we want to use reg wc3 attacks or go full custom combat. We talked about it.

For inventory, the potion belt will be hero icons. You click F1-F4 or w/e to use potions and the charge of a potion is the hero level.

For equipment, we were going to go with spellbook approach (spellbook B is disabled with an ability, that ability gets added to spellbook A), but the approach could cause some issues for actual ability spellbooks. Not sure which approach we will be going with atm, but I do know it won't be full screen inventory =P.

For actual item storage stuff (backpacks or w/e), the best approach seems to be the regular inventory with backpacks or w/e for storing items.

For magic, I'm sure we'll probably go with a lighter version of my previous design on magic casting. I put up a theory on how magic should be done in a game (it seemed pretty good to me), and we'll hopefully be using that =).

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1900595-post1.html

So yea... the map is definitely being coded... lol

As for terrain, imports, and etc... still no word on people wanting to join up.

tooltiperror seems like he wants to help out with the website, so I set him up with an FTP account so that he can do stuff there... he killed our forums so far, but we'll see if he can put a new forum up.

I can update the original thread for this when we get more content up, lol, but at least the project is still going eh? : P

Status
Not open for further replies.