• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Any Map Developers planning on a Reforged remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I've started working on a project outline for a remake of Against the Darkness for Reforged. Are there any other developers out there thinking about doing the same thing? Why or why not? Do you think there will be a strong demand for custom games once Reforged drops? I'm on the fence and think I'll likely wait to see what the initial reception and popularity of Reforged is before I go all in. I'm interested to hear what other developers are thinking though!

Last edited:
Level 23
If they give people the ability to choose what models will be used in "standard" and reforged (i.e in the editor there will be two lines for the model), then wouldn't there be no reason for a reforged remake? I am hoping that is what the developers will do, or else it be awkward if there are different custom games for each version.
Btw, I am still a big fan of AtD for 10 years +.

Level 18
then wouldn't there be no reason for a reforged remake?

Technically true. If there ends up being a resurgence in the custom community then my thought is that there'd be a good number of players looking for something new. The outline I'm working on for AtD is a re-imagining of the same game, which will feel very familiar but have a fresh take on the strategy and gameplay mechanics.

Btw, I am still a big fan of AtD for 10 years +.

That's so cool to hear. It makes me happy to know that I created something that people can still enjoy today! I vividly remember when this project was in alpha and I didn't know a thing about what I was doing.

Level 6
are you talking about campaign? theres already at least 2 or 3 mods in the making for that
would you be interested in helping me with an altered melee map for Reforged?

I had great times playing Against the Darkness in the past. I would love to see it modernized once Reforged has been released! I'm hoping to go through some old maps of mine and introduce some new mechanics and, of course, bring the visuals in line with what can be expected from Reforged. It should be a fun trip down memory lane.

Level 23
All my projects are too custom artwork heavy for any remaking, I could never get all that stuff upscaled (ain't got the time, skill or energy for it). Assuming it is possible for a map to force Reforged back to original graphics for the built-in models so everything remains consistent, I might do some remedial ensure-shit-is-still-working patching and take advantage of the odd new trigger, but no, no remakes ahoy for me. :(

On the other hand, I'm thinking about doing a new map with zero custom artwork so I have at least something that'll upscale...

Since my main project is heavy on custom art - there will not be any reforged version.
However I hope reforged sparks a general peak in interest even for non-reforged maps.
All my projects are too custom artwork heavy for any remaking, I could never get all that stuff upscaled (ain't got the time, skill or energy for it). Assuming it is possible for a map to force Reforged back to original graphics for the built-in models so everything remains consistent, I might do some remedial ensure-shit-is-still-working patching and take advantage of the odd new trigger, but no, no remakes ahoy for me. :(

On the other hand, I'm thinking about doing a new map with zero custom artwork so I have at least something that'll upscale...

I can relate to this. While I am hoping to carry some projects forward into Reforged, the custom asset heavy maps look like they might be put on hold indefinitely. I don't have much interest in recreating 100+ assets.

Level 18
Yeah, I understand the challenge for mods heavy on custom skins and models. It will be interesting to see what their solution is for those handling those, maybe with a toggle like RDZ suggested. AtD has a ton of custom content but if I proceed with a remake I would try to use totally vanilla artwork, assuming it's all done well.

Level 23
Please remake the This Wreckage series, they're not too art heavy?
I'll take that as a compliment about how well my custom art fitted with the existing stuff. 720 imports in This Wreckage isn't a lot, no sirree... :grin:

I will be very interested to see if the community takes up the challenge of producing full-on HD custom models. I'm expecting it won't, because that level of detail requires a hella lot more effort than scrubby early-00s low poly stuff... Will people stop using custom models at all to maintain HDness? Will mappers reject HD mode and stick with classic art so they can keep using custom stuff? Or, horror of horrors, will people make HD maps with oldschool low-poly models mushed in? The mind boggles.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I was thinking of doing something for Reforged, yeah. Problem is I use my own terraining techniques which I'm not sure will look good on Reforged. Besides, I'm not sure things being produced in 1.26 will eventually work on Reforged. Spending a bunch of time modding to find out it was all wasted in the end is a no no. Time is scarce.

Status
Not open for further replies.