• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ant Wars Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ant Wars!
Ant Wars is a RTS that takes place underground. But it has a twist. The terrain for ant wars is randomly generated so that you will never play against people who have memorized the map. This feature includes a "-restart" command that will wipe the map clean and allowing the game to restart from the beginning.
So. Lets see it in action.
ScreenShot
109379-ant-wars-1.png
You have many options for the map size and many more options soon to come.
ScreenShot
109380-ant-wars-2.png
Generation of the terrain takes about 1-2 seconds. -Updated (Old:5-10)

This map uses Food/Supplies instead of traditional Gold/Lumber.
Anyway, you can spawn 5-30 fungus collonies (-Updated) which act as food sources.
ScreenShot
109381-ant-wars-3.png
You may also choose the spawning size of begining armies. Ranging from small to huge.
ScreenShot
109382-ant-wars-4.png
With a maximum of 12 players, games can get crazy :D

NEW!: Added a new kewl egg grow system based off my casting bar resource. :D
ScreenShot
attachment.php
Here are some screen shots of me screwing around in single player.
ScreenShot
109384-ant-wars-6.png
109383-ant-wars-5.png
109440d1325268473-ant-wars-recruitment-7.png
attachment.php
attachment.php
Here is the game. It is unprotected so that others may learn from it. Though my triggering is pretty sloppy :p

View attachment 110116

I have run out of ideas so. . . I will be adding nearly anything you guys request!
Updates

1. Just updated a ton of stuff, fixed bugs and tweaked the terrain generator.
2. Fixed mutliplayer and fixed quite a few things. Also added a diplomacy system.
3. Added 2 new units. Driller Ant and Creeper Ant. Also added a egg grow speed option!
4. Added Fortify Evolution, changed some UI, added a "next" feature to the evolution pool. Added worms. Added the use for supplies. (GIANT MUSHROOMS!!!!)And added Queen Pheromones Evolution. Also did some bug fixing with egg laying. Fixed Fanged Drill Evolution.
5. Added Nurse Ant which heals allies and increases the growth rate of eggs. Added Sentry Ant which acts as a tower ant. When it burrows down it take the terrain from that location and uses it as a weapon. Increased terrain generation speed by about 500%. Added a chance for a giant worm to spawn with AI and will make tunnels to the nearest ant colony. Fixed a vision bug.
6. Added an upgrade for soldier ant to turn into army ant, Added Tips, Added a credit list, Added a loading screen, and added a fungus farm. Fixed 15000x15000 generation of bedrock. If player 1 red leaves the hosting triggers will be assigned to the next player down. Players are now muted when the are defeated, but when the game restarts they are unmuted.
7. Increased the healing of nurse ants, added tunnel, added a underground layer (only accessed by tunnel)
8.N/A
9.Fixed nurse healing, nurse care (so that it doesn't turn off when the egg is done growing)
Added Earthquakes as a random event.
Added Tooltips to the sentry ants when they are burrow giving a detailed explanation of what they do.
Tweaked some tooltips.
Updates: V.Alpha 10

Added:

Brood Queen:

The brood queen is queen that has been mutated into throwing it's eggs at enemies and spawing brood ants from the egg on impact. It has very long range but the queen can only control 5 ants.
New Egg Grow System

This egg grow system features a grow bar which displays the growth process. It is team colored and is only visible to those who can see the egg.
Removed:

Old Egg Grow System

Replaced the old system with the new one.
What I Need To Complete This Project
-Ideas!
Poll

Brood Queen
Capable of high damage from afar (~800-1000 yard range) with eggs. The eggs, when launched will deal massive AOE damage (equivalent to the acid abdomen) and spawn Ant lings.

Ant lings will deal minimal damage but serve as a distraction for other ants to burst into a defense.

The Brood Queen will be very slow and it will take a second to burrow it down to fire the eggs. Each egg will cost the Brood Queen a significant amount of energy (~25 Out of ~100 energy total)

To regenerate energy the Brood Queen must eat food. (And possibly eat a worker for full energy)

Please, I need your feedback as to whether this is an applicable idea or not.
Loading Screen (By Frotty)
109606d1325598433-loading-screen-snt.jpg
Ant Wars has entered into it's ALPHA stage!

Attachments

• Ant Wars!.w3x
    430.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 7.png
    7.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:
Split map terrain into few ground levels:
You can create tunnels that will connect areas.
You can build/train/whatever big bugs or whatever that can burrow trough terrain (simple set unit x, y to new x, y+Y or y-Y).
You can use different races of ants, some can be powerful soldiers, others awesome workers...

Dunno really.

Generating terrain usually end bad, if you find awesome terrainer this way it should look better...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 72
So far there are two levels of terrain. Dunno if I wanna add more... (Because it would just be overly complex to a new player to have to focus on 4 different zones at once)
There are tunnels
There is the tunnler ant which acts as a spy and can create tunnels to the deeper layer. (X,Y calculated)
And look at that terrain!!! Its beautiful
And there are many different types of ants...

You should test ant wars n see all these cool features :D

Anyway I am thinking about adding a surface layer, and probably removing the second underground layer... Thanks for the ideas about the layers, will surely consider it. (Also, I really like that lightning idea :p though I'm not sure how to implement it)

Level 12
Maybe you could rename the map into Ant Empire or Ant Colony, something different from Ant Wars. Because naming it "Ant Wars" makes it look like an AOS/battle based map, not a risk/RTS map.

Anyways, the map looks good. Looking forward to its public release later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.