• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ant Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Ants Wars

If you're part of the helper.net, you might have seen my small project.

Ants Wars
Players: 8 (possibly more, depending on how much room there is)
Style: Strategy, logistics
(yes, I know Ants Wars isn't grammerly correct, but it sounds alot better than "ant's wars" or "ant war"

Summary: Some people have played the custom game 'Sim Ant'. The game will be loosely based on the general theme of that game. In the orignal Sim Ant, there were 2 teams. Each player on those teams would have a specific goal, such as gathering or building.
But in Ants Wars, each player controls their own colony, instead of 1 team controlling an ant colony.

Features:
~Random Events
~Automated feeding system
~New and powerful strategies
~Interesting and frantic Combat
~Easily manageable tunnel system
~Fully Automated Gathering System
~Decisional (is that a word?) upgrades
~Slight Rock-Paper-Scissors style of units
~Complex, yet easy to understand food system
~Random Insects wandering around both above and below ground
~Tunneling events that promote many individual rooms instead of 1 large room
~Possible custom-group system that allows you to control more than 12 units at a time (not selected units)

Team:
Solo

Progress:
Working out how gathering system will work (looking for ways of debugging right now)
Thinking of what upgrades/unit names will be used
Working how new terrain will look (too many complaints about it being too difficult to see)

The Features: Explained [Rated PG]

~Random Events
Random events, depending on what kind, can effect both the above ground and below ground, or only 1. An example is rain: While dealing light damage where the rain hits, after a short while the water will 'seep' into the ground, causing fortified soil to become weaker (allowing an easier underground attack) along with causing large rooms to collapse.

~Automated feeding system
to describe the factors
-What unit you are making
-What food types you currently have
-How much of that food type you currently have

Those are the main factors for when you make a new unit.
Let’s say you have 50 grass points, and 30 pine-nut points
Depending on what you have available gives it a bonus that will effect it for the rest of it’s life.
Now, it isn’t you standard ‘This ant costs 10 food points. Since you have 50 grass points and 30 pine-nut points, it will take 7 grass points and 3 pine nut points
It won’t be like that at, instead it will be like this.

A red ant accepts both Grass and pine nut points. It prefers grass over pine-nut and gives bonus depending no how much grass you have.
Grass also is used as a major food source for your red ants.
So because grass is a major source that is used in both the ants birth and life, it’s divided by a greater factor.
So out of 50 grass, the game actually splits into very small blocks depending on how many ants you currently have. Let’s say for every ant you have, the game divides that 50 grass into smaller blocks.

Your ants will eat their food source every often. Depending on how much of that food source you have, gives them a bonus that changes depending on how much food you have.
So you have 70 ants. And you have a total of 50 grass.
NumberOfUnits X .Food Source /3
In this case; 70 multiply .50 /3 = 11.66
11.66 is the total amount of grass that 70 ants eat in grand total.
Invidually, each ant ate .16 grass

So now your total grass is 38 (rounded, every 2 mean periods it removes extra food point)
Let’s do another meal time.
70 X .38 /3 = 8.8
So in total all your ants eat a grand total of 8.8 food points.
Invidually, each ant eats .12 grass

As you see, it slowly gets smaller. But as your food gets smaller, the changes become less and less noticeable.
When each ant gets an invidual piece of .8 grass points, it will become slower and easier to defeat. While on the opposite, having more food makes it faster and harder to kill.
Though if you have 3 ants and 300 grass points instead of each ant getting more than 50 grass each at each meal, it’s capped at .20 grass for each invidual ant.

When you choose to make a new unit, the food system applies something similar to that (actually taking a little more grass) and gives it a permanent bonus or defect depending on how much you have.

Large amount of text in hidden about how it works. I took it from my older thread on thehelper.net, so it's alittle outdated.

~New and powerful strategies
Underground attacks, surprise attacks through a tunnel from the outside and into your enemies base, to parasite ants that can control random insects; giving you a mighty advantage on the battlefield.

~Interesting and frantic Combat
In normal wc3 melee (and most wc3 custom game dealing with large fights) battles will tend to form a long line. It's difficult to explain how it's different in Ants Wars, so I'll include the trigger (the actual trigger that I will use in the final game will be more advance, this is just the simple form)

Code:
ScatterKiller
    Events
        Unit - A unit Dies
    Conditions
        ((Dying unit) is A structure) Equal to False
        (Destructible-type of (Dying destructible)) Not equal to (Destructible-type of (Dying destructible))
    Actions
        Set KillingAnt = (Position of (Killing unit))
        Set AntKillDirection = ((Facing of (Killing unit)) + 0.00)
        Set L = (KillingAnt offset by (Random real number between 300.00 and 500.00) towards AntKillDirection degrees)
        Unit - Order (Killing unit) to Move To L
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_L) 
        Set AltUnit = (Random unit from (Units within 300.00 of KillingAnt))
        Set KillingAnt = (Position of AltUnit)
        Set AntKillDirection = ((Facing of AltUnit) + 0.00)
        Set L = (KillingAnt offset by (Random real number between 300.00 and 500.00) towards AntKillDirection degrees)
        Unit - Order AltUnit to Move To L
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_L) 
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_KillingAnt)
code is in hidden/spoiler tags.

~Easily manageable tunnel system
For creating tunnels, simply pick point A and Point B, and the tunneling system will do all the rest. Want the tunnel to be fortified with soil or rock? You can choose it to do that (extra cost of food and speed of course) when it starts tunneling. When you want to create a room for a new building, there's an option to do that (and it automatically creates a doorway to the closest tunnel/room)

~Fully Automated Gathering System
Once you build the main harvester building, your queen starts popping ants out of her at breakneck speeds, and once those gatherer ants hatch; they will start harvesting and doing everything on their own. No questions or orders asked, you will NEVER have to give them a single order in the game. Food sources aren't set either; they have a limited amount and after that amount is gone; the food is gone. This means that you'll constantly run into enemy gatherers that are looking and getting food, and so will your enemy. And if you want to win, their food is a great way to weaken your enemy.

~Decisional (is that a word?) upgrades
Sometimes you'll have a choice between upgrades, though you can only choose 1 of these upgrades. An example will be to either increase the amount of gatherers you have, or increase the stats on the amount you already have (increased speed, ect)

~Slight Rock-Paper-Scissors style of units
3 ant types

Close Range: High health, medium attack, fast speed
Ranged: Medium Health, medium attack, medium speed. Have small minimum attack range (1/6 range can’t attack)
Long Range: Low health, medium attack, slow speed. Has medium minimum attack range (¼ range can’t attack) Isn’t effected by combat trigger if attacking. Effected by combat trigger if attacked.

Strength: Takes less damage from ants, and deals more damage to them.
Weakness: Takes more damage from those ants, and deals less damage to them.
Neutral: Takes average damage from those ants, and deals average damage to them.

Each group is broken down into 4 different ant types
Ant A: Good against B and C, bad against D, A
Ant B: Good against C and D, Bad against A, B
Ant C: Good against D and A, Bad against B, C
Ant D: Good against A and B, Bad against C, D

Each unit has 2 strengths, and 2 weaknesses. While it’s strengths don’t’ give it 1hit kills against a unit that’s weak to it, it gives you a large advantage.

Guard Ants are also powerful. They come in 4 types.
GantA: Good against AntB, Bad against C, Neutral to D and A
GantB Good against AntC, Bad against ant D, neutral to A, B
GantC Good against ant D, bad against A, neutral to B, C
GantD Good against ant A, bad against B, neautral to C, D

Each unit has 1 strength and 1 weakness, along with 2 neutrals.
Guard ants are incredibly strong when underground and near the hole, though above ground they are very easy to kill.

When the game starts, each player is given an option for a slight increase in a spefic food type. The food type you pick will be given 200% more food points in this area, and get 15% more points for food of that spefic type.

There are 6 food types. Each food type is distributed evenly (on an average) around the map. The food types are often mixed together, so when your worker comes back, it might get you some points of multiple groups.

There are 4 staple foods, which are used to feed your already alive ants. The staple foods also act as a booster for hatching ants; giving them a permanent bonus.

There are 2 hatching food types. These are required if you want to hatch ants, though if fed to already-alive ants, they give them a small (not permanent) boost.

In short: staple foods = keeps alive units alive, boosts baby units
Hatching foods = hatches baby units, boosts alive units

Obviously (hopefully you know this) these aren’t the names I’m going to use, I simply used those terms to describe the basic feeling. Feeding system is fully automated (while workers are automatic, you have some control over them. Such as find new food, find certain food type, ect)

Large amount of test (once again taken from my old thread) in the hidden tags.

~Complex, yet easy to understand food system
See above.

~Random Insects wandering around both above and below ground
Providing easy to tough fights, insects will occasionally roam across the ant battlefield, with the correct ant you can control their minds, or use as a useful food source.

~Tunneling events that promote many individual rooms instead of 1 large room
Pretty much a trigger that checks how large rooms are randomly, if a room is too large it has a small chance chance to collapse; destroying and damaging under the collapse (and filling it with soil). After it has rained, there is an increased chance for a collapse and smaller rooms can collapse.

~Possible custom-group system that allows you to control more than 12 units at a time (not selected units)
Pending, it's easy enough (unit group variables) I don't know if I can find a good, easy, and slick method for showing it off.

Comments? Critism? Suggestions? I need them!

Last edited:
Level 6
Question 1: How should ants move across the outside environment?
I would restrict their movement, it's rather boring if you can move in any direction, you know? A major aspect of terraining is making paths to go, obstacles and all that.

Question 2: Should there be any ranged ants?
I dont know. If so, perhaps a spitting ant with short range but slightly weaker(and less damage). It would make you have to "balance" your ratio of melee and ranged to come up with the best army. Graphically, it would either spit green goo or shoot small thorns. Slightly slower move speed and Artillery-type attack with 0 splash radius, or else a player could use "hit 'n run" tactics.

I think I'd just use melee...

Question 3: Should there be any flying ants?
Nah.

Question 4: Should there be a limit on worker ants?
Maybe. I'm not sure how the food system works.

Question 5: Should ants have a collision?
Yes, but a small one.

Question 6: Can you list any random events that could happen (naturally)? If so, please state them.
Rain: Units above ground move slower (gives ranged ants a tiny advantage), accelerates natural food, like grass & mushrooms.(dunno if you have any)
Mean kid with a magnifying glass: A fast beam of focused light moves across the surface, incinerating everyhing in its path. Won't work during rain.
Draught: Natural food doesn't respawn, no rain, higher risk of Magnifying Glass. If the ants have regeneration it is neutralized. Maybe slight move speed bonus(dry ground is easier to walk). Armor penalty.

Question 7: Should there be a collapse if rooms are too large?
Nah.

Question 8: Have any suggestions for this game? I will take and consider all.
Will you have day/night cycle? If so, you should have some creeps that roam the lands at night, like little scorpions and spiders. You may either be careful and wait for daylight, or hunt the creeps for food.

Oh and just a word of wisdom. Don't make it too complex. The best maps are pretty simple.

Level 6
Question 5: Should ants have a collision?
Yes, but a small one.

The problem is, ants are on a .15 scale. When they're that small, the game's collision actually can't get that small.
So the closest you can have ants are (it looks like) several feet apart. It also hinders the fighting greatly (my script now works, and it's pretty awsome)

Level 6
The problem is, ants are on a .15 scale. When they're that small, the game's collision actually can't get that small.
So the closest you can have ants are (it looks like) several feet apart. It also hinders the fighting greatly (my script now works, and it's pretty awsome)

I say have a small collision, just so you can't stack hundreds of ants in the same spot. If you don't like the formation, you can disable it with one little click on the mouse.

Level 6
I'm probably going to keep the no collision, since you will have tunnels, and it would be very annoying by having several worker ants not being able to pass through because you have some units already in it.

Level 6
Thanks for answering the questions though.
I likely won't use the magnifying glass, but I'll use the rain and drought.
It also made me think of several ideas because of your 2 ideas, thanks.
+rep.

Level 6
Re-did first post. Added pictures.
Ect.

Daily bump.
Have suggestions? Critism? Please add them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
By custom interface, do you mean the box holding all your information at the bottom?
I'll look into it, but I wouldn't put one into the game unless it looked very good.

Level 6
Total import size: 100 (will be removing around 60 off of it soon)
Expected total import size: 400 (I need a blizzard model scaled down to .15 for attaching to an ant to make battles seem 2x bigger than normal.
Attachments can't be scaled)

Level 6
Bump. Terrain finished. Still need soil model (I have the actual model, it just needs a death animation)
And I still need a very small scale ant model. Around .15 scale of crypt fiend =[

Level 6
This game isn't playable at all. The only thing finished right now is triggers.
As far as I know, there isn't an ant game similier to mine. There's ant games where you're on a team, but those games end horribly fast.

Any suggestions for my game though? Most features will be automated (feeding, gathering, ect.)

Level 6
Shit, sorry for double post. I hit 'Post quick reply' and before it finished loading I decided to make it better, and clicked 'Go to advance'
I didn't think this would actually be posted, sorry.

Level 6
Are you going to have Hero ants? If so, I would fing a custom model. (ex. mutant ant)
Probably not. I haven't done alot of thinking on ant types yet. There will probably be only melee fighters, though each melee fighter has a specific advantage.
Each advantage defeats a disadvantage of an enemy unit. Massing one unit will probably be pretty much suicide against a enemy player having a large selection of different units.

I would suggest less grass/shrubbery... Hard to see the ants...
It's can be difficult to see ants sometimes, but near the bottom of the screen is most of the time easiest to find ants.

There will be alot of special little commands, another example
-select 600 (This selects all units within 600 of the center of your screen that you own) The units are a temp group, so you can't actually see them.
Though you can still order them anywhere you want, once you select some other unit though removes the temp group.
It's difficult to explain, though it will hopefully be easier to understand ingame.

I just posted a request thread for ant models for you game.
Problem with that though, is I only need one ant model: A crypt fiend who is .15 scale of original size.
I want to have ants have a dummy-ant attachment. The attachment doesn't do anything, but it would make battles seem 2x bigger.

Level 6
The game is based on the original concept of Ant Colony, but instead of player-teams each player is their own colony.
Many features are different. it will be easier for new people to understand, and more of it will be automated.

Level 6
The only way for units to have zero (absolutely none) collision is for them to have 'flying' movement type.
Setting their collision to 0 still has alittle collision. It doesn't seem like alot big units, but when you have ants at a .15 scale, the smallest collision size seems really huge on the ants.

Level 6
Sadly, ants would go in a split second from being ground level to being halfway up the rock in a second, so I'm sticking with the normal movements.
Rock pathing texture however, is set so the ants can't go over it.

Level 6
Actually, the ants being used is a crypt fiend. Though I am always looking for a new ant model (I believe there is one out there in some import pack)

Level 3
I found it hard to see the units. I think you need to rethink the camera angle or something cause if it wasn't for the mini map i would even have a clue where my units where. Even with the mini map I had trouble finding them.

Level 6
This promotes using my group system, but unless you actually downloaded the map, it's easy (at least for me) to see ants when they are near the bottem of the screen.

Level 6
Bump.
Question on how I should do units:
Should there be ant races? For example:
Rainforest ants can have fungi deposits, which gives them a steady flow of food instead of having to go outside. Though their units cost alittle bit more than what they're worth, they can last longer under a siege.

And if I do races;
How should units be made? Should it be like
Unit A can kill B and C
Unit B can kill C and D
Unit C can kill D and A
Unit D can kill A and B
Each unit has 2 strengths and 2 weaknesses.
Or should it be like:
Unit A normally is horrible, but when you have alot of a certain food, it becomes one of the games best units.
Unit B is pretty average. Not getting any major defect when food is down, but not getting any major bonus when food is high.
Unit C is slightly higher than average when your food is an Average amount or very high, but becomes very bad when food is low.

Do you have suggestions? Ideas? Comments? Critism? Winning lottery numbers? Social Security Numbers? Bank Number? House Address?
Post them to help me/get me rich!

Level 5
I think the balance should focus on massing and counters, kind of together. For example, if you have not very much food and need a couple good fighters, you get some warriors. But, like a real colony, you should have to get more workers than warriors. The ratio should have to stay at 2:1 or something.

Warriors should slaughter workers though. Then, you could make some special ants (like glue-spitting warrior ants, which I'm pretty sure exist in real life. Maybe they're termites) which kill warriors and workers about the same, but are countered with workers since you can get so many. And against hive walls and fixed defenses, the workers could dig through much better.

Level 6
3 ant types

Close Range: High health, medium attack, fast speed
Ranged: Medium Health, medium attack, medium speed. Have small minimum attack range (1/6 range can’t attack)
Long Range: Low health, medium attack, slow speed. Has medium minimum attack range (¼ range can’t attack) Isn’t effected by combat trigger if attacking. Effected by combat trigger if attacked.

Strength: Takes less damage from ants, and deals more damage to them.
Weakness: Takes more damage from those ants, and deals less damage to them.
Neutral: Takes average damage from those ants, and deals average damage to them.

Each group is broken down into 4 different ant types
Ant A: Good against B and C, bad against D, A
Ant B: Good against C and D, Bad against A, B
Ant C: Good against D and A, Bad against B, C
Ant D: Good against A and B, Bad against C, D

Each unit has 2 strengths, and 2 weaknesses. While it’s strengths don’t’ give it 1hit kills against a unit that’s weak to it, it gives you a large advantage.

Guard Ants are also powerful. They come in 4 types.
GantA: Good against AntB, Bad against C, Neutral to D and A
GantB Good against AntC, Bad against ant D, neutral to A, B
GantC Good against ant D, bad against A, neutral to B, C
GantD Good against ant A, bad against B, neautral to C, D

Each unit has 1 strength and 1 weakness, along with 2 neutrals.
Guard ants are incredibly strong when underground and near the hole, though above ground they are very easy to kill.

When the game starts, each player is given an option for a slight increase in a spefic food type. The food type you pick will be given 200% more food points in this area, and get 15% more points for food of that spefic type.

There are 6 food types. Each food type is distributed evenly (on an average) around the map. The food types are often mixed together, so when your worker comes back, it might get you some points of multiple groups.

There are 4 staple foods, which are used to feed your already alive ants. The staple foods also act as a booster for hatching ants; giving them a permanent bonus.

There are 2 hatching food types. These are required if you want to hatch ants, though if fed to already-alive ants, they give them a small (not permanent) boost.

In short: staple foods = keeps alive units alive, boosts baby units
Hatching foods = hatches baby units, boosts alive units

Obviously (hopefully you know this) these aren’t the names I’m going to use, I simply used those terms to describe the basic feeling. Feeding system is fully automated (while workers are automatic, you have some control over them. Such as find new food, find certain food type, ect)

Level 9
As far as I understanded your trigger, your interesting combat system depends on moving ant to randomly choosen position? Didnt see it in action, but for now in trigger editor it looks... boring and very simple :p Hope thats only part of much more complicated trigger :)

Terrain looks great, but I was wondering if this number of doodads will cause lagg. And, as someone said, this is hard to see your ants.

BTW: The Outside looks great on minimap; congratulations to mapper (you? or you got terrainer?) that made it!

W8ing for another info/triggers xP

Level 6
As far as I understanded your trigger, your interesting combat system depends on moving ant to randomly choosen position? Didnt see it in action, but for now in trigger editor it looks... boring and very simple :p Hope thats only part of much more complicated trigger :)
Well, I'm not trying to add special, flashy effects. Instead of ants forming a line in a battle and filling in where other ants die, the battle is more of a circle and is swarming with ants. 1 side doesn't stick in the same place either, so battles can become alittle confusing with large amounts of ants (which is nice compared to other games)
Terrain looks great, but I was wondering if this number of doodads will cause lagg. And, as someone said, this is hard to see your ants.
I'm going to be using less doodads when I re-do the terrain, which will bring the doodad count down. I have a pretty decent computer, so I have no clue how older computers will fare at this game. I'll find a tester early on and have some blank-wait times to help improve beginning performance.

BTW: The Outside looks great on minimap; congratulations to mapper (you? or you got terrainer?) that made it!
Thank you, it's actually pretty easy (just add some tile variation). The terrain would look better if I had known that cimatics-remove collision actually remove the complete collision on a unit. Before I thought it would have the same effect as setting 'collision size' in object editor to 0 (which still have alittle collision)

So overall, how far are you into finishing this map?
Not very far, I barely work on this map (highschool, homework, humane society, penumbra mod, friends, another wc3 game, and this game.) But it shouldn't be too hard, all the features I have are pretty easy to make.

Btw; Thehelper.net banned meXD Now I'm going to have to use a proxy and everything to register! Apparently you can't tell an admin to lay off =/

Level 6
I saw this at TH.net. This map looks great. I havent tried it out yet, but i will. my brother did and he had fun on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.