• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Angmar Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
the map i've been working on and off on for the past 6 months.

most of the towers are still lacking a roof because i cant figure out a nice way to make it look good. perhaps i'll have to make a thatched roof model myself.

135153-albums6004-picture63991.jpg

135153-albums6004-picture63992.jpg

135153-albums6004-picture63993.jpg

135153-albums6004-picture63994.jpg

135153-albums6004-picture63988.jpg

135153-albums6004-picture63990.jpg

135153-albums6004-picture63998.jpg

135153-albums6004-picture63997.jpg

135153-albums6004-picture63999.jpg

135153-albums6004-picture63986.jpg

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Very nice use of in-game doodads, I must say. I really like how every city feels unique and not just the same old thing over and over again. I do agree about the blizzard cliffs though, and if you aren't already using Jass New Gen, you should as it would allow you to use more tiles and doodads but judging from what I'm seeing, you are probably well aware of that. My only advice that hasn't been stated before is use the raise/lower tool to make it more realistic as, currently, it's rather flat. Other than that, great job.

Level 10
i decided to use cliffs basically to save doodads, but mainly to save myself time. because replacing all those cliffs with raised+ doodad-ed terrain would take me so much effort :p.

and I've tried to add some raise/lower to create hills, i guess it doesn't really want to show in game play view, i'll have to make it a bit more visual/extreme then.

and last but not least, i actually like these trees.. i don't get what all those terrainers have against blizzard trees, some are really ugly like ashenvale but these are actually quite nice..(in my honest own opinion)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Tch, from bird's eye view the trees aren't that horrible. You can't expect people to swap all default WE resources for imports, especially if they have to ration file size. The old beef with blizz trees is more a terrain art thing than anything anyways, and it's not so difficult to figure out why if you take one good look at an Ashenvale pine through an eye level perspective.

Anyways, I kinda like the structures, but they're whiter than printer paper. It undermines the tiles pretty badly. Plus there's definitely too many flat patches. We're talking light work with the terrain palette, it shouldn't take you too long.

Don't worry I like the blizzard cliffs just fine and yeh keep those trees. Oh yes and with the last pic of the fort, try to find a wooden door instead of a brick like one. Although other than that I like the terrain just fine. Your skills may improve over time with little things over more experience.

btw: I enjoy using the ashenvale tileset doodads and this includes the blizzard trees that go along with it. :p

Level 15
Perhaps add some color to your structure by using for example different colors on the columns and such to add detail? Thinking mostly of the elven cities. Also some of your cities could do well if you add alot more height to them. they are all so close to ground. High ramps, cliffs, e.t.c. this would make it more distinct. For example raise the second one from the bottom.

In your 6th picture perhaps add a tower structure (some larger building) between the two entrences.

If I pick up on my map again you have deffinitly provided great inspiration, may I ask what did you use for flooring on your "human" towers?

Here is a example of what I mean, from myself granted we have different styles and our terrain have different purpose but perhaps it can be of use.. ;p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.