• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ancient but legendary cinematics

Status
Not open for further replies.

JnM

JnM

Level 12
Greetings folks!

Hope everyone is enjoying the Warcraft 3 fever resurgence!

For the last few days, I've been doing a sort of "cinematic archaeology". I've been lucky enough to find and rediscover some of these masterpieces, here and on wc3c.net. There are some maps, however, that seem just outside of my reach. These cinematics are pre-2006 and can no longer be found here, or any other major Warcraft 3 modding site.

The creativity, aesthetics and techniques of these maps are worth archiving for anyone to experience and explore, so I hope some light can be shed on these!

These cinematic maps are:

Son of a Fallen Hero series (Part I and II) by UWD: A great series and example of how to make an epic battle-engagement cinematic, instead of units just randomly attacking each other. The sound, terrain and camera work, were absolute top-notch.
I've managed to find a sort of prologue of this series called "One man's story" via old emails. Though it's his early work, you get an idea of where this talent was headed. I'd be glad to share if anyone wants to get their hands on it.

Sylvanas' Torment series (Part I and II) by Baruch: A hosted project back when hiveworkshop was wc3sear.ch (yes... that long ago). Spectacular creativity in effects, ambiance and story-telling.

Cinematic Tri-X by PheoniX_VII: An absolute masterpiece. It showcased a dozen brilliantly done terrains and structures. Though the quality of the video doesn't make it justice, a youtube post by the creator was made here:

Any other unattainable great cinematic works, of these guys or any other, are also welcome!

It's a hell of a shot, but anyone who's got their hands on one of these seemingly "lost maps" has got a gem in their possession, and it'd be great to share!

Attached below are our findings!

Cheers,

JnM

Attachments

• One Mans Story.w3x
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • CinematicTri-X.w3x
    561.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Sylvanas' Torment - Part II.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:

JnM

JnM

Level 12
Wow! Nice find purge! Where on earth did you dig that up?

I found Cinematic Tri-X on an old laptop!
I think it was a plagiarized version, as there was another name in the credits. I've taken the liberty to change it back to the original maker PheoniX_VII.

Attachments

• CinematicTri-X.w3x
    561.8 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: pyf
Status
Not open for further replies.