• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

An odd noob problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Ok, so I've recently decided to try working on modifying models and skins!

I did a bit of copy-pasting and recoloring to start out with on a regular villagerman skin, which turned out just fine. (i used wc3 viewer to extract and convert the blp to tga, and vice-versa... then imported it and gave the proper file path).

BUT, now I did a second reskinning and weapon removal for the Medivh model and am having some really weird problem with the model not appearing (it is completely invisible ingame... but not wc3 viewer...). Here are the steps i took, so someone more knowledgeable might be able to spot a mistake i made:

1. extracted Medivh.mdx and Medivh.blp
2. converted Medivh.mdx to a .mdl file
3. removed all the vertices associated with the staff on geoset 1 using the vertex modifier that is recommended in the 'remove weapon' tutorial.
4. saved and converted the model back to .mdx format.
5. converted the .blp to .tga (using WC3 viewer) and opened it with gimp to use some burning and recoloring options.
6. converted it back to a .blp file.
7. i renamed both files to "Yalortian" (.mdx and .blp)
8. then i opened the .mdx with magos and imported the yalortian.blp file to be used as a texture.
9. i edited the 'materials' for the geoset which used the old medivh skin to use the new yalortian.blp, and then removed the medivh.blp from the used textures list
10. i imported both files into the warcraft editor and set both filepaths to just their names (the .blp was imported as simply 'yalortian.blp')

I have no idea what I did wrong, since this method has worked a few other times for me when i did a weapon remove and reskinning. I tried changing the filepath of the .blp to textures\yalortian.blp and units\Creeps\Medivh\Yalortian.blp, as well as naming it back to Medivh.blp and giving it the file path to overwrite the blizzard one.

It just shows a shadow when i place the model... WHY DAMN YOU, WHY?!

:(

Edit: Also, when setting the file path of the texture to creeps\Medivh\Medivh.blp, it causes the blizzard medivh model to appear invisible. I am thinking the problem might be a corrupted .blp? But... how does that even happen, or be prevented o_O? (but then WHY does it appear fine in WC3 viewer.. argh)

Last edited:
Level 18
Did you remove all GeoSet animations associated with the staff geoset?

Go into Magos, and look at the GeoSet animation manager I believe it's called, but double click on each one, and find a GeoSet animation that has (none) as the GeoSet ID. Just remove that animation, and hopefully it should be fixed. Other than that, I do not know.

Level 4
(@ famous) Yeah, that wasn't the problem because the skin wasn't working for the unedited blizzard model either.

Well, I seem to have solved my own problem, though. I downloaded a medivh skin someone else made, modified and uploaded it into the editor... and it works!

So... I have no idea what the problem was... hmm.... oh well!

Status
Not open for further replies.