• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

An involving starting quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Hey Gaias Team.

Zwei has mentioned, from time to time, that you guys would like a more involving/visible story for Gaias (at least i think thats what i read ;)), therefore i would like to propose this idea i had about a starting quest which introduced the main problem in the world of Gaias Retaliation, the plague of nature, to the players' in a cool way.

This quest should not only be interesting from a story-wise perspective, but also from a 'see new players, this game is cool'-wise perspective, using a cool scene followed by a fairly easy, though not so short, battle serving to encourage new players to try their class' abilities.

Let me give you an example of what i mean:
The players start 'inside' (this would require a new interior place obviously) the house which in the current version of Gaias is the starting location (on the outside of it) for newly started heroes. Here the players are introduced to an npc.
The new npc is a hunter and a beastmaster, he has been raising wolf cubs for many years, and there are 3-5 of them in the house with the players and the npcs when you start.

When all players have selected their classes at the beginning of the game, the 'scene' will trigger.

In this, the beastmaster will talk to the player and explain the situation; "Ahh its good to see some adventures willing to give us a hand in this time of desperate need, with the plague and all, blablabla".
= Explain to the players that they are in this place for a reason - to cleanse the land of the plague or something like that.

After this the beastmaster npc will tell you that "It seems like this plague only affects animals and not humans, i'm lucky that none of my cubs have been infected, .."

But now the action begins. The cubs turn insane and kill the beastmaster, and now its time for the players to kill them off.

When the cubs are dead, a circle of power (door teleport) will appear, allowing the players to leave the house. Outside things will be as they have always been in Gaias, except that the npc who is standing there will now say something more appropriate in relation to the events inside the house, "What happened, i heard screams from the house?. He is dead? Oh no -cries- blablabla". And of course this will result in him giving you the quest to go to the town - setting you off on your adventure properly

On the gameplay part of this 'tutorial/starters quest', the cubs should have enough hp each that the fight wouldn't be over in less than 10 seconds, but their dmg should be very, very low, so as to make it hard to die in the fight, even for a new player. The quest should only start after all players have choosen heroes, or the host writes some command to force start, making all players who are too slow just spawn as they do in the current gaias release.

Comments?

Level 13
I've never seen anyone fight like that before!

Seriously though something like that would be nice, the storyline is pretty much jumped on by some random dude outside a house.

Level 3
hmmmm.pretty nice idea. people who are new to gaias would know the value of team play from the start xD

I'd rather add a cinematic instead of something like this. Gameplay wise, this will lead to some serious problems in the end. From my experience, people want to start the game the way they like it, want to have some time to prepare, etc. - also, most people will want to wait for the initial lag to settle and all the loading to be completed, as load processes produce a lot of lag at start.

Also, the story is pretty much lead by the "Gaias Retaliation" quest line, which starts at level 25 (and will be continued up to level 50 and highend content).
Everything before that is just considered "Tutorial" or getting a feel for the world and gameplay.
Having an introduction involving the characters would be weird, from a logical perspective, as every selectable hero in the game has its origin in Ankhmaron, even if they belong to different races - which means they already know about the plague and all and decided on their own - for different reasons - to go out being an adventurer and eventually find a cure for the plague.

A skippable cinematic will be added in the future - especially when the new Music system is implemented, so that I can present a custom "Gaias Theme" to support it (i always wanted to create a game theme anyway, a nice change to the typical progressive rock tracks I compose).
I could probably also add 5 different cinematic branches introducing the base hero classes and their background, why they headed out to adventure, etc.. Could be interesting to do.

Level 13
I'd rather add a cinematic instead of something like this. Gameplay wise, this will lead to some serious problems in the end. From my experience, people want to start the game the way they like it, want to have some time to prepare, etc. - also, most people will want to wait for the initial lag to settle and all the loading to be completed, as load processes produce a lot of lag at start.

Also, the story is pretty much lead by the "Gaias Retaliation" quest line, which starts at level 25 (and will be continued up to level 50 and highend content).
Everything before that is just considered "Tutorial" or getting a feel for the world and gameplay.
Having an introduction involving the characters would be weird, from a logical perspective, as every selectable hero in the game has its origin in Ankhmaron, even if they belong to different races - which means they already know about the plague and all and decided on their own - for different reasons - to go out being an adventurer and eventually find a cure for the plague.

A skippable cinematic will be added in the future - especially when the new Music system is implemented, so that I can present a custom "Gaias Theme" to support it (i always wanted to create a game theme anyway, a nice change to the typical progressive rock tracks I compose).
I could probably also add 5 different cinematic branches introducing the base hero classes and their background, why they headed out to adventure, etc.. Could be interesting to do.

I understand what you mean about the lag issues and whatnot, people do have the right to get through tutorials at their own place. Roughly every rpg I've played of late sets you in front of some unexplained house/wagon where you can make your way forward and discover the storyline at your own pace. Usually though, you're forced to dig into some of the basic foundations of the storyline within the first 10 minutes, so anything that can connect a quest to private qwerty or whatever the guy in riversdale was called would help out. Anything to give the people that play for storyline a reason to head towards riversdale other than 'dat innkeeper'

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I understand your decision Zwei, but in my opinion a cinematics doesn't have as strong an effect as a controllable event. Also keep in mind that my idea should be skippable, and that this was only an example.

About the starting lag..
Maybe the starters quest could be outside, with the players starting a few mobs away, giving people time to try out their spells and the starting lag disappear before the quest is triggered. Something like the start in Diablo 3 act 1. (Although the story in Diablo 3 is quite bad, but thats irrelevant here ;) )

Also, i always thought the heroes 'arrived' to Ankhmaron, that they werent natives - isn't that what it says in the loading screen?

Level 5
Technicaly, I thought Zweib got rid of the cinematics because sometimes it caused some desync problems, dropping players, unless you have found a solution for that.

Technicaly, I thought Zweib got rid of the cinematics because sometimes it caused some desync problems, dropping players, unless you have found a solution for that.
Not neccesarily the cinematics ... I never found the reason for the random desyncs, to be honest. Just that the desyncs vanished after removing the cinematics doesn't mean it had anything to do with the cinematics in the first place.
Sounds weird, but there is some logic behind it.

Level 5
Well, you said it yourself. The desync problems dissapeared after removing the cinematics. Anyway, you're the expert here. It was just my reasoning.

Well, you said it yourself. The desync problems dissapeared after removing the cinematics. Anyway, you're the expert here. It was just my reasoning.
I don't know really. Maybe if I completely remaster the cinematic system I could make it work without desyncs. But then again, I don't really care yet. I will handle this problem once I encounter new desync cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.