• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"-help" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Soo one gets alot of new players in Gaias Retaliation all the time, and after hosting for the millionth time and once again having to tell the new people how to play, i thought of something very simple:

At the start of the map, after like 5 seconds. a small tip will pop up for everyone saying: "If you are new to the map, write -help"

Then when one writes help it would be just a small starters guide like this:

"Introduction: Gaias Retaliation is an ORPG (open roleplaying Game) that requires teamwork to be played optimally.
A good starting team consists of: A Squire (tank), a Cleric (healer) and damage dealers (any class). It is also a good idea not to have too many of the same class. If you picked a class that you don't want anyway, write: -repick
"Combat System:
The Map has an "Aggro system" that makes enemy AI units attack the target who either dealt the most damage to them, healed his allies too much or used aggro-managing spells (like the squire's "Taunt" ability for example). Players can see the aggro of their current target in the upper right corner box."
"Quest System:
The map has a questing system that works as follows:
NPCs with a golden exclamation mark (!) have quests that can be taken by selecting the NPC and pressing the "Accept Quest" button in the lower right corner.
When a quest is complete, the quest-NPC will now have a golden question mark (?) above it's head and so you can select them and press "Talk" to complete their quest.
Silver symbols mean that the specific quest has yet to be completed."

So Zweibelchen, hope you will do something like this :)

Level 2
Yeah, nice idea. +rep

I think there will be too much to ask for, but maybe it's possible to make DPS Meter (like addon in wow), would be very interesting to know whos making most in dungeon group, let's say you write command -dps, and it shows:
Last boss counter stats:
[Player Name 1] - x Damage, X% percentage total.
[Player Name 2] - x Damage, X% percentage total.
[Player Name 3] - x Damage, X% percentage total.

I don't know much about coding, but i feel theres pretty much work with it. But just and idea.

Level 2
A nice idea indeed. I've noticed quite a lot of beginners have trouble finding the Rest button as well. Not sure if you want that in the help section or not.

You could also mention that quests can only be done once in the "Quest System".

This following suggestion isn't really necessary, but I thought I'd say that after you finish a quest and "Talk" to the NPC you can press ESC to receive the reward quicker. Basically you skip the dialogue after you turn the quest in.

Level 10
I like this idea or at least something similar to that to help the new players. +1 Perhaps in the -help give the player a list of things he can choose to learn more about. For example when they type -help a list will appear saying something along the lines like "Type one of the following to learn more about it" and you would have choices like -basics, -questing, -dungeons, etc. and when the player types those it explains more about that category in detail instead of just flooding the screen all at once with all the information, this allows the player the option to only learn what they want to learn about.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Glad you guys like the idea:).

And Soul, i thought about that but couldn't decide if it would be "too much" explanation. I mean if people know the core gameplay of Warcraft 3, they should be able to understand or learn most things by themselves already. Like i said, your idea could work out anyway, thats for Zwei to decide.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I think this is a good idea.
But I want to be honest: Who actually ever reads descriptions or help files? I played a lot of custom maps during the last years and a lot of them had an extensive help command. I never saw a player reading the helpfile, no matter how good and explaining it was ... They simply asked other players instead because most people are too lazy to read helpfiles. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.