• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Altering Hero Stats For Noobs

Level 14
ALTERING STATS FOR NOOBS
~Created by Archange1
REQUIREMENTS
  • A medium-level understanding of the World Editor
  • Understanding of the creation of basic Events, Conditions, and Actions
  • The ability to read and process information
  • An idea of what you want to do in your map
CREDITS
  • Chaosy
  • PurgeandFire111
[TD] I NTRODUCTION

The purpose of this tutorial is to show you how to add stats from a hero using a variety of methods.

This is different from the normal green text that you'll see next to a hero's stats.

This is a PERMANENT bonus.

Despite the title, I WILL be showing other methods of doing such things with simple ease.

I'll also be explaining how to remove stats and possibly re-add the stat points to the hero.
OVERALL DIFFICULTY - EASY [/td][/tr]

METHOD ONE - Adding Stats Using Hero AbilitiesMETHOD TWO - Adding Stats Using Dialog Buttons
~Method Difficulty - EASY~Method Difficulty - EASY
With this method, every time an ability is learned by the hero, their chosen stat will increase by X,

with X being a number of your choosing to increase the stats by.

To start, you'll want to create 3 dummy abilities based off of Attribute Bonus.

The base ability doesn't HAVE to be attribute bonus, simply one that can be 'hidden'.

Next, set the max level of each ability to the game's max hero level divided by 3.

If you don't set the max level high enough, some stat points may be lost.

To avoid this, have enough total available levels to exceed the maximum hero level.

Next you'll create a trigger similar to this, changing values as needed.

• Stat Gain
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Learns a skill
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Gain Strength
          • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Gain Agility
          • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Gain Intelligence
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Hero - Modify Strength of (Triggering unit): Add X
          • Unit - Remove Gain Strength from (Triggering unit)
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
              • Hero - Modify Agility of (Triggering unit): Add X
              • Unit - Remove Gain Agility from (Triggering unit)
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                • Then - Actions
                  • Hero - Modify Intelligence of (Triggering unit): Add X
                  • Unit - Remove Gain Intelligence from (Triggering unit)
                • Else - Actions

Now let me explain this a little bit.

This part is used for making sure the trigger isn't fired every time a unit gains an ability.

• Or - Any (Conditions) are true
    • Conditions

It saves on memory a little bit, but really isn't required.

This next part is used for ensuring it's choosing the correct stat.

• (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Gain Stat

That part IS required, so don't miss it.

After that, we go through the actualy setting of the stats, and the removal of the ability.

• Then - Actions
    • Hero - Modify Stat of (Triggering unit): Add X
    • Unit - Remove Gain Stat from (Triggering unit)

Now, obviously here, "Stat" is the stat that you want to increase.

It corresponds to the ability you used to trigger the increase.

If you want to be able to SUBTRACT stats from the hero, simply change "Add" to "Subtract" like the example below.

• Hero - Modify Stat of (Triggering unit): Subtract X

If you want to refund the Attribute Point back to the hero create the following action.

• Hero - Modify unspent skill points of (Triggering unit): Add 1 points

You'll need to associate this with a seperate ability, likely just a copy with a different name/description.
This method is STRICTLY an example, and can easily be improved upon.

It's used more to show you the things to consider when making your own system.

This system essentially does the same thing as method one,

without tying up the option to use hero abilities.

It creates a simple dialog with four buttons allowing you to gain stats a different way.

The downside to this is it requires more than one trigger to function.

To start, you should create a few variables that I've listed for you below.

NameTypeArray
HeroUnitFalse
DialogDialogFalse
DialogButtonDialog ButtonFalse
AttPointIntIntegerFalse

After creating all the variables, you'll need to configure your dialog similar to this.

• DialogCreate
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Hero = Paladin 0001 <gen>
      • Dialog - Clear Dialog
      • Dialog - Hide Dialog for Player 1 (Red)
      • Dialog - Change the title of Dialog to (Available Attribute Points: + (String(AttPointInt)))
      • Dialog - Create a dialog button for Dialog labelled Strength
      • Set DialogButton[1] = (Last created dialog Button)
      • Dialog - Create a dialog button for Dialog labelled Agility
      • Set DialogButton[2] = (Last created dialog Button)
      • Dialog - Create a dialog button for Dialog labelled Intelligence
      • Set DialogButton[3] = (Last created dialog Button)
      • Dialog - Create a dialog button for Dialog labelled Cancel
      • Set DialogButton[4] = (Last created dialog Button)

"Hero" is the unit you want to gain the stats.

You don't have to set it here, but keep in mind it will be used later.

Next you want to create the trigger that will show the dialog.

Again, this is a really simple version, and can easily be improved upon.

• Dialog Show
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) skips a cinematic sequence
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Dialog - Show Dialog for Player 1 (Red)

With this, when the trigger player presses ESC then the dialog will be shown.

It's really as simple as that, although you can put more into it.

Now, before we go into the dialog buttons, we'll need to create a counter.

The example below is an EXTREMELY basic counter but it works well enough.

• PointTracking
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Gains a level
    • Conditions
      • ((Triggering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Set AttPointInt = (AttPointInt + 1)

Every time your hero gains a level, they'll get one more point to spend.

Next you'll want to create the handle for the buttons.

This will make the dialog buttons actually do something when they're clicked.

• Dialog Activate
    • Events
      • Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for Dialog
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to DialogButton[1]
          • AttPointInt Greater than 0
        • Then - Actions
          • Set AttPointInt = (AttPointInt - 1)
          • Hero - Modify Strength of Hero: Add 1
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to DialogButton[2]
            • Then - Actions
              • Hero - Modify Agility of Hero: Add 1
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to DialogButton[3]
                • Then - Actions
                  • Hero - Modify Intelligence of Hero: Add 1
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to DialogButton[4]
                    • Then - Actions
                    • Else - Actions

This will work, but I must express that this is only a BASIC model of the function.

Last edited:
It looks really nice right now (aesthetically and writing-wise). I think I need just a few points of clarification though:

To start, you'll want to create 3 dummy abilities based off of Attribute Bonus.
- Why do you need to base it off Attribute Bonus? Couldn't it work with basing it off of channel? If it is for convenience (as in, you have to modify fewer fields), then you may want to mention that.

Er, actually that is about it.

As for some suggestions (if you end up using that reserved post, or extending the tutorial), I think it would be really cool to cover adding attributes such that they show up as "+ 5" in the command card. For example, when you get claws of attack, it'll show up as "+ 11" damage (or something similar) in green text next to the unit's attack damage. You can achieve this with item abilities. See this system for a reference:
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=107940
You don't actually have to delve in the code, but if you look in the object editor you can see how the item abilities work.

However, that is a bit complicated. Again, you don't have to, but it would be a cool tutorial since I haven't seen anyone cover it yet. I don't remember what items they base it off of, but you basically just add one to the unit and they'll keep the stat bonus. (remove it to remove the bonus) You don't have to make the ones like bonusmod does it (with +2, 4, 8, 16, etc.. bonuses), you can just show an example with maybe +5 or +10 for a certain stat.

All things considered, this tutorial looks approvable in its current state. :)

Level 14
PurgeandFire111 said:
- Why do you need to base it off Attribute Bonus? Couldn't it work with basing it off of channel? If it is for convenience (as in, you have to modify fewer fields), then you may want to mention that.

It doesn't HAVE to be, simply another ability that can be hidden from the command card.
Even tho the system removes the ability after learning it, sometimes lag will cause it to temporarily appear in the command card.
That, and it may push or pull other ability icons around if it's not hidden.

In any case, I updated the comment there. :)

PurgeandFire111 said:
I think it would be really cool to cover adding attributes such that they show up as "+ 5" in the command card.
Isn't that what the Attribute Bonus ability does? Or did I just misunderstand you... ;p

Although, it could be useful for altering damage & armor that way, rather than using auras.
I think I might include that.

PurgeandFire111 said:
All things considered, this tutorial looks approvable in its current state. :)
Grazie! <3

EDIT: I also added a tutorial and another system to the list, as they both could be used to create something similar to this.

It doesn't HAVE to be, simply another ability that can be hidden from the command card.
Even tho the system removes the ability after learning it, sometimes lag will cause it to temporarily appear in the command card.
That, and it may push or pull other ability icons around if it's not hidden.

In any case, I updated the comment there. :)

Oh I see. I didn't notice that attribute bonus had that field.

Archange1 said:
Isn't that what the Attribute Bonus ability does? Or did I just misunderstand you... ;p

Although, it could be useful for altering damage & armor that way, rather than using auras.
I think I might include that.

Yeah, it does. I didn't test it before. But the issue I have is that I don't see the point of the trigger. The attribute bonus ability gives the stats, but then you remove it and modify the stat with the trigger. (and thus, it loses the +3 green part next to the stat) So I don't see why the ability "middle-man" has to be there aside from being learned.

Although, that also implies that the trigger can be considered a middle man. Since the spell is hidden, you shouldn't have to go through that process, right? *Unless you don't want it to have that green text. Then I understand.

I hope you understand the source of my confusion. Do you have a test map?

Level 14
Yeah the whole point is to eliminate that gross green text. :p

It makes it easier for ORPG's namely, which is what I happen to be working on.
It happens to be a dumbed-down version of the system I'm using.

The purpose is to avoid having to seperate the stat bonus that WOULD show up in green text from Attribute Bonus, from item stat bonuses.

This makes it a permanent addition to the hero instead of just a temporary +X next to the stat.
As it's not temporarily given to the hero, it can be saved / loaded a whole lot easier without having to mess around with saving the levels of each ability.

As for a test map, I can give you an earlier version of my ORPG before I improved on the system. It's fairly close to this now.
I'd prefer to give it to you in PM tho, so just let me know if you'd like it.

Level 14
Okay, I updated the introduction with that.
This tutorial is finished, although if you had any more suggestions I would be more than happy to add them. :)

I would like to point out that posting a tutorial about something so basic was pretty embarassing!
But I got enough questions about this kind of thing I figured it would be a good idea. x)

Level 2
Request form #DH156C

INQUIRY
On the subject of the proceeding of "METHOD ONE - Adding Stats Using Hero Abilities", derived from the tutorial topic "Altering Hero Stats For Noobs", submitted by user designation "Archange1".

Is the specification of that method to be executed once, and only once, for each heroic statistic, when learned, or is it intended to be a repeating action with multiple iterations for each heroic ability score?

Level 14
INQUIRY
On the subject of the proceeding of "METHOD ONE - Adding Stats Using Hero Abilities", derived from the tutorial topic "Altering Hero Stats For Noobs", submitted by user designation "Archange1".

Is the specification of that method to be executed once, and only once, for each heroic statistic, when learned, or is it intended to be a repeating action with multiple iterations for each heroic ability score?

Shit.. I thought I was fancy.

In method one, the stat only goes up by ONE every time you level the ability. However, there are as many levels as you need for each ability, so you could increase the hero's stats as many times as you need.
The value of the increase, which is one in my example, could easily be changed.

Not sure if that's what you were asking, but let me know if you still need help. :)

Level 2
Shit.. I thought I was fancy.

In method one, the stat only goes up by ONE every time you level the ability. However, there are as many levels as you need for each ability, so you could increase the hero's stats as many times as you need.
The value of the increase, which is one in my example, could easily be changed.

Not sure if that's what you were asking, but let me know if you still need help. :)

Indeed, you have provided an answer to my query.

However I believe there is a problem with the aforementioned "Method One".
The trigger states that after learning said ability, for example "Strength Gain", the Strength value of the hero is incremented and the ability is removed. This would entirely remove the ability, barring any future possibility for advancing its levels.
Therefore the hero will only be able to increase his strength once.

Level 14
No that's not true.
When you remove the ability, it doesn't remove the option to learn it because it's a hero ability.
What it does is removes the current value of the ability on the unit, without altering the unit's ability to learn said ability. c;

Level 2
Hello i have gone with implementing method 2 within my map and i have double checked my work. Everything works just fine and executes except the count on the dialog box menu. If i level twice, then the counter computes that i have two stat points, but the displayed menu count stays at zero. example: Available Stat Points 0. No matter how many times i level and gain the points...the visual count stays at zero. Any help towards this issue would be most appreciated. Thank you Hive Community for your time and effort!