• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Altar of Darkness and Derivatives

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Ujimasa Hojo Presents

Altar of Darkness and Derivatives
Edited by Ujimasa Hojo

Altar of Darkness (Optimized) Info:

• Fixed up some of the texture wrapping.

• Uploaded.

Altar of Darkness (Demon) Info:
  • Made a Demonic version of the Altar of Darkness.

• Uploaded.

• Redid some of the texture wrapping.

Altar of Darkness (Nerubian) Info:
  • Made a Nerubian version of the Altar of Darkness.

• Uploaded.

Altar of Darkness (Zul'Drak) Info:
  • Made a snowy version of the Altar of Darkness.

• Uploaded.

Altar of Queens (Forsaken) Info:

• Uploaded.

• Uploaded.

Keywords:
Ancient, Icecrown, Northrend, Scourge

Author's Notes and Trivia:
  • Optimized models have built-in portrait animations, fixed bugs (if there were any), additional animation (if applicable). These can be used to serve as a template for alternative skins if you want to keep the original skin and model.
  • Check out Ujimasa Hojo's Maps and Resources Discussions, and Tutorials. Please reply in these threads instead.
  • Check out the map and the model previews at my Youtube, BitChute, DailyMotion, and Rumble Channels as well and hopefully subscribe. Follow me on Twitter.
  • While I do these stuff as a hobby, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to accept donations from our more fortunate Hivers I suppose :p.
    • My PayPal is here.
    • My Patreon is here.
    • My SubscribeStar is here.
Previews
Contents

Altar of Darkness (Demon) (Model)

Altar of Darkness (Demon) Button (Icon)

Altar of Darkness (Nerubian) (Model)

Altar of Darkness (Nerubian) Button (Icon)

Altar of Darkness (Optimized) (Model)

Altar of Darkness (Zul'Drak) (Model)

Altar of Darkness (Zul'Drak) Button (Icon)

Altar of Queens (Forsaken) (Model)

Altar of Queens (Forsaken) Icons by Mister_Haudrauf (Icon)

Reviews
Misha 20th Oct 2013 Moderator's Review: I agree that the statue should be more blocky and stylized representation of Sylvanas, would surely help making a much better wrap on the back, instead of the horrible stretch that cape hides. so...

M

88b8c096c14d2181b2e61de7191420f7_67524.png
separator.gif
Misha
separator.gif
20th Oct 2013
Moderator's Review: I agree that the statue should be more blocky and stylized representation of Sylvanas, would surely help making a much better wrap on the back, instead of the horrible stretch that cape hides. so yeah.. make it similar to other altars and get rid of that cape. and.. draw a better forsaken banner if you want to keep those on the model..

works nicely ingame and looks cool. approved

Reasons specified in the PM

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Interesting. I suppose it makes sense for them to worship Sylvanas, of sorts...

Although I kinda think it would look better with a more blocky/stylized Dark Ranger, rather than the well-detailed one you have there. Most Altar's have a statue that is barely recognizable as [insert race here], and more of just a personage-like figure.

Interesting color scheme.

Level 7
I would suggest you to add more detail to the back pillars. They look rather plain like that. And like Kyrbi0 said, the statue should be blockier, because the detailed contrasts a bit with the more geometric style of the altar.

But other than that, it's pretty great. It's good to see a Forsaken model pack in the making.

Level 11

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
But the altar of humans is called 'Altar of Kings', so what's the problem of this altar be called 'Altar of Queens' ??
You know, you might've just swayed me entirely...

I'm big on naming things appropriately, and Altar's are one of the most non-obvious thing that people often get 'wrong'. Silly stuff, like "Altar of Doomosity" or "Altar of Gnolls" or "Altar of the Evil Gaiz".

I've talked about this before (somewhere...), but Altar's are most commonly named something as an often-subtle indication of the Faction's primary focus or pinnacle. "Torment", "Rebellion", and "Anguish" all come to mind with the Forsaken... But as I've been working on races, I realized that some custom races are quite well described in terms of the original four:

• Jungle Trolls -> the barbarity of the Horde with the nature-themes of the Sentinels.
  • Naga -> the caste-based society of the Sentinels with the calculated xenophobia of the Scourge.
  • Dwarves -> the loyalty of the Alliance with the battle-mind of the Horde
  • Pandaren -> the serenity-wrapped steel of the Sentinels, with the honor of the Alliance
  • and
  • Forsaken -> the cruelty of the Scourge, with the vestiges of the Alliance

Both in terms of Theme and Role (Aesthetics & Gameplay), I feel that the Forsaken are most well-represented by a sort of "Human/Undead" hybrid; building instead of summoning structures, but still needing Blight (?)... Having a mix of possessed Humans and nefarious Undead (esp. Spirits); well-rounded mix of casters, warriors, and creatures.

Anyway, my point with all this is (as time draws short for me): the Humans indeed have the "Altar of Kings". And while all the above words ("torment/abandonment/rebellion/anguish/etc") are great, considering their Human-esque origins & their rallying behind Sylvanas... Well, let's just say "Altar of Queens" isn't too bad after all. :p

(maybe good for "Naga", but they already have "Altar of the Depths")

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Sorry to double-post (surprised no one has commented after me; this is a good model...), but had a few thoughts:

I really rather like it so far, now that I've gotten a chance to take a look at it's updated form. The changes are quite good; the backing for the statue, the texture-wrapping, the changes to the statue. I like the obelisks & the dome... I especially like the mix you've made of the Human & Undead elements (banners/flags, with graveyard obelisks & "downwards-stairs" like the Undead Altar).

However, I still feel like there are a few things to change to really perfect this model. For one, the image on the flags is too stretched, too detailed, and sadly, completely lost in any sort of view. I had to really zoom in to realize it was the Forsaken crest; a great icon, but nothing that should be on a Building (the way it's drawn is all wrong for Wc3 textures, IMO). I like the idea of banner/flags, but there's got to be something else to put there.
Further, the stark grey of the obelisks seems kinda off, next to that garish deep purple you have (like all the other Forsaken buildings) in the central columns.

My biggest beef, aside from the flag-pics, is mainly just the statue, though. It's better than it was, but it still needs some tweaking. Looking at the other Altars

The original 4(5)

altarofkings.jpg

Altarofstorms.gif

Altarofdarkness.gif

altarofelders.gif

Naga_Altar_of_the_Depths_W3.JPG

~
Not a perfect example, but a Jungle Troll Altar (of Blood) I had Deolrin make for me.
models_7051_screenshot.jpg

~
All of them
altars.jpg

The statue is always barely recognizable, few features, not well-defined at all. In yours, however, it's quite easy to tell the Dark Ranger with a stone-grey texture. Might there be some way to further 'wear down' those features?

Keep up the great work. No one else has done as much as you towards giving side-races actual Buildings like this.