• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

All in one army summoner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey dudes, I need help with a BIG THINK. Yeah, this is big brain time. So my new map has summoners to pick from. I need to make it so the summoners can set units to spawn in the teams waves sorta like Castle Fight as well as upgrade them, while being the ONLY player controlled anything in the whole game so you can focus on watching/countering the battle. Each summoner has 6 different units that have 2 upgrades each, so that's 18 units to choose from. All but the basic tier 1 unit will cost upkeep (which is slowly added over time up to 100) and there is a maximum of six choices spawnable at once. Also I'd like for the summoner to have a few spells if possible.

So what I'm thinking is the summoners will be buildings with dummy upgrades with the face/description of each of the six units. I trigger them to do an upkeep check and then show the next upgrade for that unit if successful. It would also trigger the clearing/summoning of units in a small designated area that represents what unit is in each of the six available slots of all life. This area will be scanned for units via trigger each wave, copying them and sending them to battle. I like this method because I can make a one click upgrade spawn a single boss or a whole horde of zombies. Then if there is room I'll add some spells or just make them trigger through the item slots.

Sounds like a lot of work but it's the best idea I've got so far. If you essentially needed to squish an entire Castle Fight race into an all in one summoner that does NOT make buildings how would you do it?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It would also trigger the clearing/summoning of units in a small designated area that represents what unit is in each of the six available slots of all life. This area will be scanned for units via trigger each wave, copying them and sending them to battle.
Or use collection/list/set data structures to handle that. Likely more efficient than a map based area search.
If you essentially needed to squish an entire Castle Fight race into an all in one summoner that does NOT make buildings how would you do it?
No idea what Castle Fight is. Is it a map?

I would likely use custom UI so that a separate window can be opened to upgrade or add units at any time. Similar to the Heroes of the Storm talent selection system. This is less clunky than unit based systems and also avoids having to deal with all the units and unit events.

Level 7
No idea what Castle Fight is. Is it a map?

Woah I'm genuinely surprised you don't know what Castle Fight is! I thought it was one of the most popular maps of all time, hell I played it way back when I was a little kid and it's still got near constant lobbies. Next time you see one while browsing give it a try, I think it's the most fun multiplayer map out there. Just expect to get noob shamed for a round or two lol (then become hopelessly addicted)

Status
Not open for further replies.