• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Altered Melee] Age of Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Age of Darkness

Main Info

Age of Darkness is an RTS map similar to the Battle for Middle Earth series.
There are currently 5 races to play, 5 more are planned to be released.
2 different arenas to duke it out, more are planned.
Most military units come in squads.
Comes with an unique build system and a challenging AI.
Includes single huge units with powerful abilites called Titans.

The Races

Humans:

Humans are the jack of all trades race, though they excel at cavalry and support units. Their trebuchets are siege weapons to be reckoned with and their knights are the best cavalry in the entire game. Wilderian cavalry are the fastest cavalry and can transform to cavalry archer mode with an upgrade.

The Human titan is the Resurrected Angel.

Dwarves:

Dwarves are a hardy race people. Their squads come in 5 instead of the usual 6 since they are so tough. They excel at infantry and siege units but they also have wolves and bear riders for some sub-par cavalry support. Dwarves can garrison infantry squads in battering rams to make them attack and move faster.

The Dwarven titan is the Igneous Golem.

Undead:

The Undead are a race multiple horrors of other races that have died and have been twisted by black magic on the battlefield. They have the most unit types. The Undead don't make regular troops like other races through a barracks, instead they use Grave Keepers to summon whole squads onto the battlefield. The Undead are best in great numbers have very good fliers.

Their titan is the Plague Horror.

Demons:

Demons are a race of trickery and deceit. They cannot win in a straight up fight without a lot of micro. Demons rely on casters to help them win many of their battles. A lot of units have excellent harass potential. Demons are highest technologically advanced race since they have cannons and excel in siege and support units.

The Demonic titan is the Benighted One.

High Elves:

High Elves are an ancient race of fragile people. They lack good cavalry and siege weapons, but have good casters and air units. But their greatest asset is their archers, which are the best archers in the whole game. High Elves need to use micro and positioning to win and have to keep melee units from attacking their archers at all costs.

The High Elven titan is the Avatar of Flame.

The Fallen:

The Fallen are a race of humans twisted by dark magic. They work in cults worshiping ancient dark gods who they sacrifice their victims to. Like the elves, the fallen are immortal but only as long as they feed on the blood of mortals. They are a savage and bloodthirsty race.

The Fallen titan is the War Beast.

Screenshots

178901-albums5934-picture66545.jpg

178901-albums5934-picture66679.jpg

178901-albums5934-picture68945.jpg

178901-albums5934-picture68944.jpg

178901-albums5934-picture68943.jpg

178901-albums5934-picture69082.jpg

Credits

Mechanical Man
Em!
xRiotZx
Wandering Soul
CloudWolf
Marenko
NFWar
The_Silent
Mephestrial
Tranquil
Kitabatake
Mephestrial
Mr.Bob
Red Shift
darkdeathknight
olofmoleman
wojia10502
General Frank
Ultimata
HappyTauren
Zin-Creator
Lord_T
AbstractCreativity
Dan van Ohllus
T4COBELL
Elenai
supertoinkz
CryoniC
Sellenisko
IamMclovin
Uncle Fester
-Grendel
armel
Mc !
chr2
Hellx-Magnus

Change Log

-Released Beta Version

-New Race: Fallen

Official Multiplayer Channels

Battle.net: US EAST: Channel: aod
Garena: WC3 TFT: Canada Room 1

Read the quest log to maximize your gameplay experience!

Attachments

• Age of Darkness 1.0 Beta.w3x
    4.1 MB · Views: 162
  • Age of Darkness 1.1 Beta.w3x
    4.7 MB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Level 11
Here goes another Altered Melee map from Reaper! The Races Description isn't really that interesting or captivating but since its you, I'm pretty sure that each race have depth and background.

Testing and will probably say what I think tomorrow morning after playing a game or two.

I updated the race descriptions.

Also new stuff is on the way for next patch!

A new map on a snowy tileset with low amounts of pads in your main base, but a lot more spread out across the map.

A new race called Fallen which you will see more info of soon!

Level 7
Checking:)

Played a game as Dwarves:
-Great overall even though I don't like squad systems a lot.
-Nice units and skills.
-I think Dwarves are a bit more powerful than Humans, or it could be the early state of the AI, anyway the first game was an easy victory and I played slowly and relaxed.
-Should be a bug, when I kill an enemy building, the building site respawns as theirs instead of mine.
-I like the building system. I've tried something simular but in a larger and uneven map and it turned too much risk like. Works good here with the smaller and balanced terrain.
-If you plan on maintaining the single tile dessert terrain, you might wanna check the one I use in my map (from WC3-WOW), I think it looks better and fits perfectly with your minimap color.

Last edited:
Level 11
Checking:)

Played a game as Dwarves:
-Great overall even though I don't like squad systems a lot.
-Nice units and skills.
-I think Dwarves are a bit more powerful than Humans, or it could be the early state of the AI, anyway the first game was an easy victory and I played slowly and relaxed.
-Should be a bug, when I kill an enemy building, the building site respawns as theirs instead of mine.
-I like the building system. I've tried something simular but in a larger and uneven map and it turned too much risk like. Works good here with the smaller and balanced terrain.
-If you plan on maintaining the single tile dessert terrain, you might wanna check the one I use in my map (from WC3-WOW), I think it looks better and fits perfectly with your minimap color.

Respawning as theirs is not a bug.
You can also play on different arenas, the map image is just a cover to not see the whole map.
Terrains are not done yet.

tested humans for a bit by myself. this map definitely is one of the better rts maps, and improved from when i tested it with u and riotz. some critique, aside from the disgusting terrain which i assume wont be in the final version;
-the gameplay is fun, but i feel it needs more depth. it's really simple to play, which is good i guess. but it also feels lazy and uninspired. perhaps more active abilities (i did like weapon switching abilities, like swords -> pikes ability makes swordsmen much more capable than ur average t1 melee unit in rts games), and a system to micro units in ur squad (eg. when u select a computer-owned unit, it changes control to you).
-i feel like the addition of AoEmpires style walls would be good. seeing as ur map and gameplay style is much more open-battlefield, i feel walls could add some depth by allowing artificial chokes/player-manipulated terrain.
-maybe take DoW's squad reinforcement system, where you can replenish on the field, but will cost gold. would allow players to remain on the offensive, rather than going back to base/encampments. plus u can see how much it costs. just use a dummy charged item.
-make the floating text of squad numbers float over the unit's head whilst it is selected.

Level 11
tested humans for a bit by myself. this map definitely is one of the better rts maps, and improved from when i tested it with u and riotz. some critique, aside from the disgusting terrain which i assume wont be in the final version;
-the gameplay is fun, but i feel it needs more depth. it's really simple to play, which is good i guess. but it also feels lazy and uninspired. perhaps more active abilities (i did like weapon switching abilities, like swords -> pikes ability makes swordsmen much more capable than ur average t1 melee unit in rts games), and a system to micro units in ur squad (eg. when u select a computer-owned unit, it changes control to you).
-i feel like the addition of AoEmpires style walls would be good. seeing as ur map and gameplay style is much more open-battlefield, i feel walls could add some depth by allowing artificial chokes/player-manipulated terrain.
-maybe take DoW's squad reinforcement system, where you can replenish on the field, but will cost gold. would allow players to remain on the offensive, rather than going back to base/encampments. plus u can see how much it costs. just use a dummy charged item.
-make the floating text of squad numbers float over the unit's head whilst it is selected.

I'm actually looking to reduce turtling so walls will not work on this map.

Level 22
Looks promising. Subscribing.

The terrain generated isn't final, right? Also, suggestion for your squad system, can you make it that when I click on any unit in a squad, it automatically selects the "leader" unit?

Just posting for Reaper here, the terrain isn't final, he wanted me to do it, but I'm a lazy ass and working on my own project.

I'll probably end up terraining it in a future version sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.