• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[General] Adding / Removing Researches

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I want to add/remove researches from a building.
Like I want first to have: research 1, 2 and 3.
Then later I want to remove those and add: research 4,5 and 6.

Can something like this be done with one building or I would have to make more buildings with different upgrades?

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Yeah, I'm positive that you have to replace your building with a new one.

I know you can remove researches by setting their level to the max one, they disappear but adding new ones?

I know you can remove researches by setting their level to the max one, they disappear but adding new ones?

Well, in the case that you would be able to degrade researches, you would set their max level to hide them, but since this is not feasible, you will have to stick to replacing. Not even negative integers work, unfortunately.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
personally I'd use units (those you buy from shops), once unit X is bought apply upgrade. You can set upgrade time to 0 and spawn a building then order it to upgrade.

To add new units that symbolize an upgrade.
  • Neutral Building - Add Footman to (Triggering unit) with 1 in stock and a max stock of 1
this only works if you don't want any upgrade time.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

personally I'd use units (those you buy from shops), once unit X is bought apply upgrade. You can set upgrade time to 0 and spawn a building then order it to upgrade.

To add new units that symbolize an upgrade.
  • Neutral Building - Add Footman to (Triggering unit) with 1 in stock and a max stock of 1
this only works if you don't want any upgrade time.

That's not what I am going after.

I am creating a map with the concept of Heroes of the Storm.
Basically every 3 levels you get an upgrade to the hero, a new ability or upgrade to an already existing ability. That is best done with researches. So that's why I wanted to add/remove researches.

But I guess I have to do it the long and hard way.

Level 13
You could add all the researches to the one building and have the first 3 with a max level of 1 and the rest as 0 (this would make them unable to be researched). Once you research the first 3 you set the max for the next 3 to 1, unlocking them.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

You could add all the researches to the one building and have the first 3 with a max level of 1 and the rest as 0 (this would make them unable to be researched). Once you research the first 3 you set the max for the next 3 to 1, unlocking them.

One building can only have 12 researches. I have far more than 12 per hero, so one building isn't enough.

I thought of that solution myself however its not viable.

You could have somethings train a dummy unit and when that dummy unit finishes training set ability level.

EDIT: Maybe this isn't what you're looking for, though.

Its not about ability its about research and sadly the editor is a bit limited for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.