• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

add attachment points to custom models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
there are some custom models that are otherwise very good, but are missing attachment points. how do you add them? i think i've run into the problem on many occasions...at any rate the main thing i need is weapon attachment points so i can have the hero pick up an orb item and actually have the orb rotate around the weapon.

here's the models it's most painfully noticeable on...2 warden-type models. instead of the regular warden weapon, they have swords. but the weapon attachment is off over to the side, seemingly where the old warden weapon was.

so it seems for some reason the attachment point wasn't changed for the new weapon.

do i need request change from modeler or should i fix it myself?

Last edited:
Level 26
you can fix it yourself by using magos model editor (you can download magos from the tools section on the hive)

Simply open your model in magos and go to the tab labeled WINDOWS and select the NODE MANAGER. from there find the 'nodes' with the paperclip icon next to them. These are attachment points. right click and select EDIT NODE. You can now change the position of these by editing the numbers on the X,Y, and Z axis.
(positive X integers move it forward, negative X integers move the node backwards, similarly, positive Y for left, negative Y for right, positive Z for top, negative Z for bottom)
To create an attachment point, simply right click an empty area and select CREATE ATTACHMENT POINT, then right click and edit the XYZ coordinates to the position you want. Be sure to change the name of the attachment point depending on what its used for (i.e. origin, left hand, right foot, head, chest etc)

And remember that the node you edit or create will move with the parent node above it. You can right click move left, right, up or down to move the node around to the place/parent node you want.

Level 13
you can fix it yourself by using magos model editor (you can download magos from the tools section on the hive)

Simply open your model in magos and go to the tab labeled WINDOWS and select the NODE MANAGER. from there find the 'nodes' with the paperclip icon next to them. These are attachment points. right click and select EDIT NODE. You can now change the position of these by editing the numbers on the X,Y, and Z axis.
(positive X integers move it forward, negative X integers move the node backwards, similarly, positive Y for left, negative Y for right, positive Z for top, negative Z for bottom)
To create an attachment point, simply right click an empty area and select CREATE ATTACHMENT POINT, then right click and edit the XYZ coordinates to the position you want. Be sure to change the name of the attachment point depending on what its used for (i.e. origin, left hand, right foot, head, chest etc)

And remember that the node you edit or create will move with the parent node above it. You can right click move left, right, up or down to move the node around to the place/parent node you want.
don't know what you're talking about with that third paragraph but after a wild guess based off comparison with arthas and then a fine tuning attempt it looks pretty good on skeleton lord...
got another question though. can i rotate the attachment point?

right now it's <|> but i want it more like this -[-]-
hard to explain in 2-D...ugh... i want the orbs going around the blade instead of through it...

Status
Not open for further replies.