• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Action RPG Advice and Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
So i lost the original copy of my Zillion RPG which is damn bad..

So i am restarting again a new project but this time a Single Player Action RPG.

So what things do you like/things you don't like in an ARPG?...
What advices can you give for this ARPG?..

I made a progress on my new project and heres some..

- Player 1 can control up to 3 heroes.
- Player 1 can upgrade his hero if it reach the maximum level.
- Each hero have 5 abilities
- Player 1 can sell his hero/preserve his hero to have an additional slot for a new hero.
- Player 1 can save/load the progress.
- Game Difficulty will scale according to the total levels of all Player 1 heroes. So the more hero level the more harder to kill monster will be.

Items
- Items can be converted into Coins,Battle Points or EXP
- Items can be upgraded into a new level
- Player 1 can forge item by buying the recipe and acquiring the items needed

Hero Stats

Recovery
- Each point will increase the percentage amount by 0.1%
- Each time the hero recieve a damage. The percentage amount of that damage will be converted into HP.

Destructiveness
- Each point will increase the percentage amount by 1%
- Each time the hero deals damage. The percentage amount of that damage dealt will be deal again as bonus damage

Mastery
- Each time the hero deals damage. The percentage amount of that damage dealt will be converted to Mana.

Your suggestion will be very helpful

NEW ARPG COMBAT SYSTEM IDEA

As i read the comments i realized that it is good to control and focus one hero only.

So i am creating a new combat system (just for a test)

Where...

1) A Hero can't do an Auto-Attack
2) A Hero can have up to 8 abilities
3) The player can change/upgrade/replace the abilities anytime.

Pls. guys i need your thoughts about this one...

Last edited:
Level 30
Most of your ideas are good and is pretty much fitted for a typical Action RPG but the problem is that most of the features have been used on other RPGs. I would suggest thinking out of the box.

Some suggestions anyways about heroes having 5 spells. I know this would be much work but I would suggest letting each hero have different spellset and so your heroes would have different spellset which would be chosen at the start of the game. For example, you chose a Mage then you can choose between Fire spellset, Ice spellset or Thunder spellset.

But that Hero stats idea seems great and unique.

Can't say much but you are having some good ideas here and also merged your first and second post for that is double posting even if you meant to bumpy, it is not allowed. Have a good day.

Level 6
Most of your ideas are good and is pretty much fitted for a typical Action RPG but the problem is that most of the features have been used on other RPGs. I would suggest thinking out of the box.

Some suggestions anyways about heroes having 5 spells. I know this would be much work but I would suggest letting each hero have different spellset and so your heroes would have different spellset which would be chosen at the start of the game. For example, you chose a Mage then you can choose between Fire spellset, Ice spellset or Thunder spellset.

But that Hero stats idea seems great and unique.

Can't say much but you are having some good ideas here and also merged your first and second post for that is double posting even if you meant to bumpy, it is not allowed. Have a good day.

Thanks for the suggestion dude!

Level 6
If you have three heroes make them easy to control and just few abilities per hero(or long cooldowns, etc.). Otherwise things become too hard for the player which has happened to my project (TCO).

Well the problem on that is some player will bored on just right clicking on the enemies.

Well the solution for that each hero will have different specialization..

One of the specialization of the hero, its abilities deals massive damage but long cooldown while the other specialization will deal normal damage but in short cooldown so the player can choose which hero gameplay he like most.

Well i enjoy your TCO. I hope i will read some LORE MAKING TIPS from the best TCO campaign maker for an ARPG.

Level 9
ARPG is different than normal RPG. Make the action to the maximum, the more intensity the better. No puzzles, no annoying quests, no crappy-but-necessity NPCs, only fight, fight and fight! Blood will spill, scream will out, dead bodies will be the decorartion of the battlefield, LET THE WAR BEGINS!!
-some items would be nice.

Level 37
Well i enjoy your TCO. I hope i will read some LORE MAKING TIPS from the best TCO campaign maker for an ARPG.

You must go to a meditate stance for a year to think a good story and world with it.

ARPG is different than normal RPG. Make the action to the maximum, the more intensity the better. No puzzles, no annoying quests, no crappy-but-necessity NPCs, only fight, fight and fight! Blood will spill, scream will out, dead bodies will be the decorartion of the battlefield, LET THE WAR BEGINS!!
-some items would be nice.

Well, this man knows what ARPG is.

Level 14
The campaign I'm working on has three heroes as well. This can be fun and challenging as well as difficult and frustrating. I think it has to do with the fact that you absolutely need to rely on hotkeys and switching heroes with Tab in order to use abilities with any efficiency. The pros will also set each hero or hero group to a number (selecting two heroes and pressing ctrl+1 sets that group to the number 1)

So basically without being too complicated that it turns people off you can still make it challenging which rewards the players that teach themselves how to use three heroes effectively. (Easy to learn, hard to master)

Your other ideas seem nice, the thing that is going to make your ARPG fun is a decent story, good atmosphere, fun boss fights, unique items, and some great abilities with good special effects. I think people put too much stock in advanced and complicated systems. (Just my personal opinion) Obviously certain systems are needed and can really add to the game, but when they are overly complicated they can turn people off (Again just my personal opinion)

I would also suggest downloading and playing as many RPGs as you can on the Hive and see what you like and dislike. There are some good ones by RaoDaoZao and there's another interesting one called Legend of Magnador. I'm sure if you search you can find dozens.

Good luck!

Level 23
Your choice of stats seem very overcomplicated.

- Each time the hero recieve a damage. The percentage amount of that damage will be converted into HP.

Why not just reduce damage by percentage? Its easier to read and understand, gameplay wise its essentially the same.

Actually, these stats are refreshing, still a bit complicated. I would recommend you rename Destructiveness, it's a long and unusual word and could confuse player, maybe Might sounds a bit better and "cooler" (just a suggestion). Also, making these stats as "invisible" passives that affect certain heroes depending on their playstyle (Mastery for spell spammers and Destructiveness and Recovery for melee burst fighter)

Also, in all games/maps with action genre, movement is a very thrilling compound, so I suggest when picking spells, try to involve jumping/dashing/sliding/blinking together with special effects like explosions, air-hits and so on... I would include def/bam spells which serve as a momentary shield and also make attack like counterstrike or an ice wall that shatters into ice bolts

If you want to make it a bit harder, you can make some comboes that allow you to cast certain op spells by doing different actions with different heroes, these spells require concentration and reflexes to see and recognize the signs, for example, a devotion aura appears on ground, on 3 sides of the boss monster, they move as he turns around and if you succeed to get all heroes into each of them, some lightning bolts fire and immobilize the boss for ~10 seconds which allows you to do as much damage as you can. Don't give these spell chances too often or it will break the surprise they give to the players.

A good AI is crucial. Mostly for boss fights, make boss fights as unique as you can.

All I can say, hope this helps :D

Level 6
Guys thanks to all the suggestion! +REP TO ALL!

@nhs325 - wow men your comment made me search wikipedia.. thanks for that arpg definition and honestly i did not know this simple things!..

@aero - yeah every night i think of a good story i think i should use my Zillion RPG story

@Veritas - thanks for that suggestion.. actually its 5 Heroes but i reduced it to 3 heroes.. yeah complicated system is bad.. and simple yet fun is good.. i gonna do your suggestion on playing other RPGs...

@Kino - ok i see what i can do on that..

@spellweaver - nice suggestion.. i will see what i can do on that..

Level 30
Indeed, 3 heroes are overwhelming for a single player but reading neo's features again, it actually LETS you choose 3 heroes. It's not required to pick (as far as I know) 3 heroes but depends on what you like.

Anyway, I don't want to ruin the whole concept but the map being SP (AFAIK again this is SP, right?) looks bad. I would suggest making it a multiplayer because the feeling of fun is in there much more to be honest.

Kino said:
I don't think you see the point. Currently "Recovery" is the same thing as damage reduction, just needlessly more complicated.

I think you don't understand, what you said is true, and I think so too, but I would add passives with these effects that are powered by attributes, heal on hit isn't same as damage reduction, heroes with higher agi appreciate it more due to high armor, so they heal more.

EDIT:
Yes! I see it now, sorry, forget the passives part.

Last edited:
Level 23
I think you don't understand, what you said is true, and I think so too, but I would add passives with these effects that are powered by attributes, heal on hit isn't same as damage reduction, heroes with higher agi appreciate it more due to high armor, so they heal more.

Take 100 incoming damage, 1 armour will take about 6% off that damage.
Leaves you with 94 incoming damage.

If example the hero has 6 in the points in Recover.

Assuming Recover heals 1% of damage taken per point
94/100 x 6 > 5.64 heal, 88.36 effective damage taken

Assuming Recover provides 1% damage reduction per point
94/100 x6 > 5.64, 88.36 effective damage taken.

Im no math expert, but I cant seem to find the difference. Mind showing me where it is?

Level 28
Easter's are always nice for Arpg since its story/lore most of the time are kinda non-existence and rushed so having quest, item, event, etc Easter will make the map a little more enjoying.

Oh and having similar item having different stats will be so cool and will attract more people to play the map again. If I remember correctly, Shadow of Everwood made a system where a single item (e.g. Iron Sword) can have different stat value (can have +1 damage or +2.) while only making one item on object editor. Here is a link of the thing I'm talking about.

Kino, I said I understand it now, you wanted to replace the recovery with armor (damage reduction) and I thought you said to reject that stat system, there is indeed no difference, but I was talking about armor taking the damage off, plus Recovery healing another part of the damage taken, but I guess that's not viable because the heal would be just another way of reducing the damage since you can't heal more than you get hit for.

Level 21
Whenever I think of action games, I think of dodging and blocking as a way of survival instead of stacking defense (or in this case recovery). It might be better to have the recovery stat increase the potency of restorative items instead of damage reduction/absorption. Then any armor or defensive bonuses can come strictly from equipment alone.

You can have enemies use artillery attacks (for both range and melee) so they can be evaded by movement. Think of escape games and how fun it is to try to avoid things flying around on the path when they can kill you in one or a couple hits. Enemies can attack the point you're standing on, so if you stop moving, you get hit and risk dying from minor mistakes. One single hero would work much better for this, and that's why I suggested one hero in the VM. The game would be much more intense and action-oriented with tactical movement required to survive. Kill and move fast, or eventually be killed.

Level 30
I do not want to bring up a map here but correct me if I am wrong but I think this map is a great example of an Action RPG: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/monter-1-04-a-217860/?prev=search=Monter&d=list&r=20

This map is just great even without a complicated story (actually it does not have, it works like that you hunt and go questing). It also gives you full control of your character. It's not a game where you just right click and spam just to attack, it uses different key combination to do so.

An action RPG can be based here I guess.

P.S I am not advertising the map but just giving the user an example.

Level 6
Guys if i will make this a multiplayer map then i would rather continue my Accuracy of Strike than this..

The VERY REASON why i make this a SINGLE PLAYER because.. I PLAY ALONE MOST OF THE TIME.. and i want to make a map FOR ME TO ENJOY EVEN ALONE...

Oh i see.. Recovery is a problematic stat.. actually i am using the DDS on the 3 stats... the Damage Reduction and Recovery HP from Damage are likely the same... why i choose that recovery stat?.. BECAUSE IT IS EASY TO CODE!.. hahaha that's why..

I am done coding the HEROIC SPECIALIZATION... so here it is!.. its simple!..

Each hero will have a SPEC... and that SPEC will have a 5 abilities which is different from the other spec.. example hero..

Holy Guardian Heaven Wrath Spec - the 5 abilities will focus more on dealing damage on the enemies while healing yourself and allies.This spec is recommended if want this hero to be a damage effective tank and support.

Holy Guardian Retribution Spec - the 5 abilities will focus more on healing allies and giving toughness buffs like armor aura. This spec is recommended if you want this hero to be a full support.This spec is more better in supporting other heroes than the other spec.

3 Heroes are optional... at the start the player can control 1 hero only and if he want to be more challenging he can buy new 1 hero..

Each hero is good enough in finishing the mission.. but 3 heroes will be more better in finishing the mission...

Heroes can reset all of their abilities anywhere in anytime so the player can USE THE ABILITIES NEEDED IN AN SPECIFIC SITUATION

Level 14
I like the idea of changing abilities based on the situation you are in. Whether it's a boss fight, killing random mobs, healing your group, etc.

I also play alone most of the time, I'm a singleplayer and I think it is just so much simpler that way. No pressure, no schedule, just playing when and how I feel like playing.

Level 9
Just thought some new ideas: THE MOAR THE BETTER, especially in singleplayer. You don't want to fight tons of creeps with the only person is YOU, right? Make some companions, or rescuable units like in The Dwarven Monster Slayers (which is also the common example of an ARPG).
NORMAL STATS, please. Nobody wants to understand some difficult stats when their heroes's fate is hanging in the balance, right?
SKILLED CREEPS AND BOSSES. You can put some skills for high-level creeps and bosses, too. Don't rely on the custom skills so much, try to combine it with classic-but-old-trusted Wc3 spells.

Last edited:
Level 19
The thing with your stat system is that they are very tank-based, only being applicable to characters with high survivability. This may force those glass cannons to cut corners for some survivability items instead of just relying on the pure tank to do their job.

I suggest that you take a look at Path of Exile, its a free ARPG which you can take good inspiration from.

Level 6
NEW ARPG COMBAT SYSTEM IDEA

As i read the comments i realized that it is good to control and focus one hero only.

So i am creating a new combat system (just for a test)

Where...

1) A Hero can't do an Auto-Attack
2) A Hero can have up to 8 abilities
3) The player can change/upgrade/replace the abilities anytime.

Pls. guys i need your thoughts about this one...

Maybe put a spell that allows you to "transform", so you can change your abilities, thus playstyle depending on the situation.. And bosses... Like, you see you're gonna die, convert to some speedy guy who runs around dodging and slashing things around so he can free himself of those overwhelming enemies. I mean, if you're going for classes, then don't put a melee warrior gets magic ranged abilities ... Rather change his overall speed/damage output/survivability by changing his abilities. That's a lot of abilities, but it gives you a lot more versatility and diversity in play. Not spamming same regular spells one after another throughout the whole game. I just remembered you wanted to change abilities. You can't do it in both ways though.. If you're not going for classes, you can jam it all up into the same character.

Level 6
well the new combat system encountered problems so i am going back to the original combat system.

REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN HAVE 1 HERO ONLY OR 3 IF YOU CAN CONTROL IT.

There is a change.

Each hero has 4 abilities and 2 specs (which can be added more in every version). Each spec will have 4 abilities so...

Each hero has 8 abilities and player can change between two of the specs.Remember more specs will be added soon...

If your worrying about micro management. You can make one of your hero focus on only passive. For example.

Holy Guardian will focus on Heaven Wrath (Active) and Life Regen Aura (Passive) while Blade Rogue will focus on Berserk (Active) and Critical Strike (Passive) and Arcane Assassin will focus on Flame Strike (Active) and Starfall (Active)...

So i am sure it is very easy to control those three!.. so any problems on that?..

Guys i am using the Auto-Attack system because i don't like the new combat system i made and i will back to the original one.

But i am ensuring that the gameplay would be very fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.