• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Above Scrolling Jet Arcade Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
*New Notes*
This is a top scrolling jet fighter game. Currrently fit for 1 player with full combat from the jet you control. The AI doesnt fire at you currently but that can be tweaked later.

Ive also added bounty for killing enemies that you can use in a shop at the end of levels. Lumber is fully functioning as lives, you respawn automatically if you have a life to spare but if u reach 0 you will need to wait for a partner to complete the mission to be revived with 0 lives to spare.

Theirs 2 attacks, one a fast missile shot atm which will be turned into more of a machine gun shot that when collides with the enemy towers, explodes and deals damage to the tower. The second attack is a missile that acks like a timed bomb that will fly for 3 seconds then explode doing aoe damage.

Once the enemy ai is tweaked it will be a fully functioning top scroller jet fighter. Though I did not use memory leak techniques it will probably start lagging sooner or later but hasnt yet. Ill have to have someoen more experienced in triggers or just spend alot of time putting in custom scripts for those dummy units.

*Old Notes*
Im making a map that replicates the old snes side scroller above view where you fly a jet around the screen and shoot and stuff appearing on the screen.

The combat that I have for enemies atm is where it fires at your location but doesnt home so you can move to avoid the attack.

Atm it doesnt use any dummy units so you can fly through the projectile and wont get hurt.
I want to make it so when you fire and enemies fire it sends collision detecting projectiles but that might be to much lag with all the enemies and players making them.

Stuff I want to put in is boss battles at the end of the level, powerups that drop from destroyed enemies. The powerups would contain either health, a item to increase score for more lives, or an expendable special ability.

Their will be a shop that u can spend money on that was converted from you score. Can buy new abilities, ammo, extra lives etc.

Lastly the jets will be heros so you can buy items like "afterburner" + # to speed or something along that or you can buy a new jet with different stats and abilities.

The jet you get atm comes with a standard low dmg attack and a missle ability that uses mana for ammo. Might think about using gold/wood/food for lives special attack ammo slots etc.

Here is a very alpha version of the map just to give some sort of idea.

Attachments

• Arcade1.jpg
    Arcade1.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 615
  • Arcade2.jpg
    Arcade2.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 638
  • Jet Side Scroller (Forum edit)3e testing.w3x
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Level 12
Ooooo.... I like this....
I'll take a look at it...
Hm....
I got killed quickly
But I liked what you did with the

I started the dummy misile unit system
-Its not perfect... at all... right now...

When you attack enemies the projectiles go straight up instead of at your unit
Also If you go within 100 range of them they don't explode...

I thought I triggered these in but apparently not...........

Either way........
I also added in an Arrow Key option
-They can type in "Arrow key" to use them

THose aren't what they should be though... Right now they're actual movement instead of facing forward with no movement...

Attachments

• Jet Side Scroller (Forms de dung edit).w3x
    126.3 KB · Views: 89
Level 7
Thanx for help Forumula1 =). Yea I forgot to erase some towers for the upload but i was testing if you could just fly around and note get killed.

Thanx for the addition. I want to make it so the arrow keys just move the position of the jet and that ill remove the move command so your forced to use arrow keys. That way the jet will always face forward when moving like the real arcade games. My main goal is to have it playable with like 4 players or maybe more but 4 seems good.

(edit)
LOL i love the arrow keys! its makes it so much cooler then having to click all over. Maybe we can keep that and just have the dummy unit go out in the direction the unit is facing instead of just always up. That might make it harder to shoot though but it sure would lag less with more people since a trigger would constantly have to fire to keep moving position of unit.

*also ive put powerups that randomly drop after killing units that gives you abilties atm that disapear once you use them*

Last edited:
Level 12
*also ive put powerups that randomly drop after killing units that gives you abilties atm that disapear once you use them*

Good Call....
THat Reminds me of Raiden... probably my favorite TOp Down Shooter Ever..........
If you've never played it I HIGHLY Suggest it....
THey've made flash versions... so its free....

Meaning... I'm gunna Guilt trip yew into it..... whether you liek it or nawt

In any case....

Heres version two... the difference will be obvious....
Also.... Its not COmmands any more....
Check the abilities....

hm....... Oh yeah....
SOme of the FLying is screwy.... I tried including Diagnols.... buts its messing with me....
You might want to Zoom out the Camera Quite a Bit.... if you want to include the Higher Speed Version...

I did both of them just for the whole starfox feel....
-I'm guessing ur gunna have a boss battle....
And I never really like the boss battles in Raiden... But I LOVED the boss Battles in Starfox...

so... yeah...
ennjoy
And good luck wit joor leif

Attachments

• Jet Side Scroller (Forms de dung edit).w3x
    133.4 KB · Views: 107
Level 7
Somehow missed raiden. I loved all top-down scrollers like darius-darius twins, space megaforce, this one that slips my mind which was a side scroller where you could buy extra stuff at the end etc.

Ill give it a shot and see how the this new version is :).

For the boss comment, you read my mind lol. Since im a modeler I would love to make a boss spaceship or base or gunboat to fight. I could even use an illusion to make it so it appears that the model has targetable sections to destroy like turrets but is actually several units-models placed together-moving in sync.

*edit*
Love the new movements but the assult mode has to be an epic win for sure. Its so close to the actual movement of the top-scollers.

Ive added a crude but effective combat collision system for the shooting and a bomb ability that shoots out a missile that doesnt collide but blows up with a large aoe after 3 seconds.

Also added goldl bounty from killing units using dummy and lives using lumber.

Last edited:
Level 12

Dude..........
That Boss fight is Foking Epic :D

Just for Varieties Sake in terms of Ships I'm going to try and throw in a second ship that has Bombs that Drop Below you.... I feel like that'll be a brilliant touch to the All range mode since

I'm also Considering Making the camera Mover a Shop instead of a small bird...
-THough... I gotta say.... that thing makes me think of the cinematic possibilities of having birds cross in front and behind your unit....

But instead of Hero Abilities the shop will be basically there for ammo and different weapons and leaves you for boss battles...

The Items I'm thinking about putting in
-Heat Seeking Missiles-A Classic
-Bomb-Drops in elevation hight over three seconds, when it hits 0 it explodes; Basically the easy way to take out Turrets and Tanks when they are unprotected... if we choose to make land units stronger then air.... but air moves more then land....
-Torpedo Bomb-The Three second bomb you created
-Helper-Sort of like how in Galaga you could have two ships at once.... only its much smaller, has its own AI, Weaker and shoots every once in a while (Inspired by Raiden)
-Three different Weapon Types-Laser (Missile only Streams and is full auto.... you turn it on... then turn it off...), Chain Lightning and

Hero Abilities I'm change
-Normal Missile Turning into a Plasma Shot
-Mana Sheild-Called Electro Repulsion Shields
-All Range going to be unit ability

I'm also Probably going to throw in Vexorians homming misslie ability
Though I get the feeling he has had enough publicity...........

RIght now I'm a bit lazy so I'm probably not going to do it....
But I do want to see this thing made.........

Level 5
dude this game is awesome, i helped Sk8er test it yesterday ;P
But yeah, movement is kinda sticky, did you fix it?

Level 5
:O

Dude
Take out how it creates the jet when you make that just put the jet already made but put the black mask on there... Ehhhhh!!! Let me try something! :D

• Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing *Starts engines* as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 airplane for Player 1 (Red) at (Center of region) facing Default building facing degrees
      • If ((Unit-type of (Entering unit)) Equal to airplane) then do (Visibility - Disable black mask) else do (Do nothing)
      • Wait 0.10 seconds
      • Player - Limit training of Heroes to 1 for Player 1 (Red)

Would that work maybe?

Level 24
How can you be a threed modeler and have no avatar!

Anyways your map sounds great and I hope that you go far with it.

There should be ground bunkers/troops in addiltion. (you probally already have that)

Many skills should have a knockback which distupts movemnent patterns. An evasin skill shoulod be activatable. It disabbles your combat effectivness but makes you hard to hit.

Level 23
actually he doesn't have any bunkers or troops yet. I tested it yesterday and I got pretty good at it (Helps having played Raiden). And sk8er and I were comig up with boss ideas. Which reminds me, he needs to look at the first boss as see what he thinks.

We have a few ideas including a base boss, train boss (I know how to get the rail system to work. :D ), and a few others. But thats classified. :p You'll find out when you play it.

Level 23
<Bump> Ok, one boss made. Just about done with second boss.

Perhaps we should find out how many levels there are in the game. Then what type of bosses, ending with the layout of the game. For example, what bosses will come when, and what enemies appear on certain maps. Or even what maps so we have a smotth transition of difficulty and terrain types. What do you think sk8er?

Level 7
I think the first thing to do is to take the map with the first lvl in it and incrase the map boundarys to max. Then see how many rows like the first lvl you can fit side by side to get an idea.
Ide do it atm but the comp with my map is being used atm :p. I've got to wake up in the mornings for awhile so I have to go to bed soon so i can wake up in the morning since ive been up way to long ).
GJ on the boss work. We can fit them in fairly soon. I just need to look over some triggering/projectiles and some other things.

Level 12
I think the first thing to do is to take the map with the first lvl in it and incrase the map boundarys to max. Then see how many rows like the first lvl you can fit side by side to get an idea.
Ide do it atm but the comp with my map is being used atm :p. I've got to wake up in the mornings for awhile so I have to go to bed soon so i can wake up in the morning since ive been up way to long ).
GJ on the boss work. We can fit them in fairly soon. I just need to look over some triggering/projectiles and some other things.

THe bullets now go in the direction your unit is facing,
I tried making a universal trigger so that no matter what, the bullets will deal damage to targets... instead of making tons and tons of Triggers....

I got to go... Biut more edits to come

Attachments

• Jet Side Scroller (Forms de dung edit #2).w3x
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
Level 7
Great work on the directional shooting of units Formula1 and vars on the boss fights. Im going to slow down just for a bit while I work on some other things for abit then ill look into adding those powerups, ammo drops, extra enemies, etc.

Level 23
ok. Sounds good. Best not to rush things. As great progress as we are making. I have yet to find anything else for the train boss. So far, I have one car carrying a nice supply of missles. :p Maybe have a timer for the train boss fight. If you fail to deastroy the train in time, the missles make it to the next level, thus activating the extra turrets on the side of the map at that boss. What do you think?

Level 7
Been doing some more testing online with 2players. Everyone thats learned how to move and shoot thought it was fun so thats pretty good. Im still brainstormin atm. Soon as I get some good idea's ill start workin again soon.

Level 23
ok. Perhaps a few bunkers and/or radar stations could work? Maybe a few enemy aircraft? (colored red) so its obvious as an enemy. Also, a few tanks or a bonus unit that, when killed, give points to the player that killed it. Thats all i can think of at the moment.

Level 12
heres another version
I screwed around with a few things
1) The Enemy towers spawn randomly above the camera bounds this
2) Tried Making the Bomb a buyable item... still need to work with that
3) Tried creating a version 2 of the Blaster which works but not as sweet as I thought it would be... its pretty much a shotgun effect.... only with two bullets instead of 1
4) Made Flying units come flying at you when
5) Made a crappy universal hit detection system
-Doesn't work right now completely.... I used immolation that target only wards and the bullets are the wards...
-Tried fixing it up by giving it a negative Command Aura to Slow down the units when they got within immolation range... either way... its not as pretty as I would like...

Things I plan on making
1) The Upgraded weapon creates a sphere that revolves around the main weapon to make it a semi shotgun effect but not as ugly looking
2) Making Tanks that move on the ground (slow)
3) The Gravity bomb ability (Just a bomb that you can't shoot)
4) Airplanes that Adapt to where you fire (You fire to their left, it stays still, you fire at them and still has the bullet to their left it goes right)
-Based on unit groups and Relative Angles of bullets
--I'm going to have to wrok with Target Point of unit movement and shet.... I still have to figure it out...
5) The Beautiful Formations of oldschool games (Swarming/Hit and Runs)

Things that I screwed up...
-The Boss fight.... >.> (They don't attack when you get to them)
-Deleted alot of triggers I tried Replacing.... (Hope you saved ur maps... :( )

I'm not taking too much time on the triggers, I'm sort of just creating them as prototypes then going to go back after I think the game has been set up pretty well and perfect them.

It needs to be fixed up quite a bit....
My bad guys...

Attachments

• Jet Side Scroller (Forms de dung edit #3).w3x
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
Level 23
I like the last part. The avoid the enemy fire. :D That looks like it should work. And with sk8er making the levels, you making the triggers, and me building the bosses and, perhaos, finding some good models, we should have this map made in little time. :D I have a feeling that this will become a great , and famous game on battlenet and sounds like a Raiden arcade game. :p Some of my ideas for the construction of the bosses come from Raiden. So do my ideas. Always great to base it off of great games of art. :D

Also, might i suggest that we not have the players jets able to go off screen? Otherwise, they can fly throughout the levels and (maybe) heal out of harms way at the beginning of the level.

Level 12
I like the last part. The avoid the enemy fire. :D That looks like it should work. And with sk8er making the levels, you making the triggers, and me building the bosses and, perhaos, finding some good models, we should have this map made in little time. :D I have a feeling that this will become a great , and famous game on battlenet and sounds like a Raiden arcade game. :p Some of my ideas for the construction of the bosses come from Raiden. So do my ideas. Always great to base it off of great games of art. :D

Also, might i suggest that we not have the players jets able to go off screen? Otherwise, they can fly throughout the levels and (maybe) heal out of harms way at the beginning of the level.

Oh yezh....
I'm going to code that in....
I'm just a bit frustrated right now because I have the feeling I'm going to have to create four regains and periodically move them to the cam mover which might create a bit of lag...

I could detect a created bound around cam mover and move regions once in a while just to detect where the unit is leaving it in...

I also need to figure out how to make sure the unit cannot get into the unit group once they enter that region...

A bit o work... but worth doing I thin...

Level 12
I am starting to wonder if this has died. There has been no news or updates. :(

Sorry bout that...
Its mostly based off me since I do the triggers...

I need to set up a better dummy bullet system
but ugh....

COuld you test out the current one and tell me how it is...
It seems a bit weird... but it might be just me...

Level 7
Sorry to say im going to have to abandon any current maps being worked on. Ive joined a promising team thats in need of modelers that is currently working on a small mmo. Basic physics are in now with characters-small environment so ill be devoting all my time to making the new city.

Peace!

Level 12
D: But I'm just support! :p I put that hard work into it (and the game was a simple design). Unless Formula1 wants to take over, I guess my services are not required any longer. D=>

I could take it over...

I fear I have too many things I want to do with it and not enough motivation though...
1) Make a battle mode
2) Set up the spells more (Homing Missiles, Floating Bomb (Kaboom), Speed boost)
3) Make it so you can upgrade the Lazers to shotgun and shet
4) Maybe add in some Mercenaries just for kicks

So you would have game modes to choose from
Campaign or battle

Ugh......................
WHY CAN"T THIS JUST BE A EASY FOKING JOB!!!!!!!!!!11

Level 23
:p Because your talented? =)
I am willing to help make this project to the end. It's a shame that sk8er would rather have it die. It looks so promising... I have to regret, most of the design ideas for the bosses I've made were from the classic Raiden arcade game. :p But I've played plenty of games to be able to come up with a few ideas for mercs and such. :p Including the terrain (I can make it)

Level 12
:p Because your talented? =)
I am willing to help make this project to the end. It's a shame that sk8er would rather have it die. It looks so promising... I have to regret, most of the design ideas for the bosses I've made were from the classic Raiden arcade game. :p But I've played plenty of games to be able to come up with a few ideas for mercs and such. :p Including the terrain (I can make it)

Aight, We'll Do what we can here...
I'll tell you right now though...
I've been getting so impatient lately...

I've Been Trying to Make a SIMPLE FOKING EDIT TO THE FOKING footmen maps....
All I wanted to do was make the heroes mass attack... which I've done before...
I just Can't get myself to do it.....

UGH!

I hope I don't have this Problem when SC2 comes out....

Aight.... so....

Caimpaigns
-I've made a random Number Generator to generate the Units And made the game also throw out random helicopters when you kill a good amount of enemies....
-The boss doesn't work anymore for some reason... I have to work on that....

So....
Heres a List of what Needs to be done.... Pick your poison....

Battle/Story (Easy, Medium or Hard)
9) Make A Story or Battle Chooser (Dialog)
13) Make a Difficulty Chooser if Story Mode was chosen (Difficult Changes the Way the Camera Mover Works)
15) Make sure the Game Resets After Each Level

Camera
2) When player Reaches the Edge of the map they come out on the upper side
3) When in story, you can only move within the Camera Bounds
4) Camera Locks on Camera Mover and zooms out for boss battles in story
5) Camera Locks on your Unit in Battle Mode

Terrain
1) Terrain Fits for Both Arena Combat and Story Mode

Abilities
11) Make "Speed Boost" Ability
7) Make A "Lay Bomb" ability
8) Make a "Homing Missile" Ability

Units
6) Need Slow Tanker Merc, Speedy Suicidal Merc, Medium merc
10) Make interesting Bosses and Make sure they work
12) Make the Camera Mover a shop/Healer and Give it different upgrades for difficulty level (Hard [No weapons], Medium [Small Zapper{Attack 1}], Easy [Multi Zapper {Attack 2}])

Basic
16) Destroy Bullets that Reach Edge of Map
17) Make sure Bullets and Bombs have no Food Size
18) Cry When we complete this foking thing

Priority
14) [size20]MAKE IT THE BEST FOKING MAP EVER FOKING MADE[/size]

Level 12
Ok. That sounds good. But I have an idea for the story/battle modes. Lets say we have the same area used for both (i know you said that) but the mountains/valley (if any) would have to hae different heights for the battle mode to be real right?

yarly

Level 23
Ok. :)

Off-topic: In the news today, a woman was caught on camera being struck by lightning (yes, real lightning. She's dead) on the border of a forest away from the cities! XD Just the chances of it happening outside of a city on the border of a forest and caught on camera are slim! XD But, the God(s) got it to happen. :p Somehow, (I must be evil) this news made my day. :p

Level 12
Ok. :)

Off-topic: In the news today, a woman was caught on camera being struck by lightning (yes, real lightning. She's dead) on the border of a forest away from the cities! XD Just the chances of it happening outside of a city on the border of a forest and caught on camera are slim! XD But, the God(s) got it to happen. :p Somehow, (I must be evil) this news made my day. :p

Maybe you'll have a death that is statistically rare

Status
Not open for further replies.