• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ability that does not Interrupt Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggles don't work. ;_;

I hope there is one really rather unique ability that doesn't stop ongoing stuff.

This is what I'm trying to do. I create a passive ability with a cooldown visible. When the passive is used, I replace it with an active and order the hero to use the active to put it on cooldown. However, doing so stops the hero's current orders.

Either an ability that does not interrupt orders when ordered through triggers, or another workaround for a passive with a cooldown.

Toggles don't work. ;_;

I hope there is one really rather unique ability that doesn't stop ongoing stuff.

That's weird. I tried to use Mana Shield while a unit was running and the unit just kept on running even though Mana Shield got activated.

Ah just realized the OP. Through triggers. Yup. Mana Shield also stops the ordered unit...

I would try this: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...0-1-a-245414/?prev=d=list&r=20&u=TriggerHappy

Or very simple but still a solution would be to replace the passive ability with another passive ability + buff. And through the icon of the new passive ability user should definitly know that the unit has now damage reduction. After the 5 seconds you replace the ability by the old one again. (but no cooldown with this method...)

Or create an effect above the head of the unit.

Four Solutions, None Perfect...

1. Using Orb of Lightning - New you can make passives with cooldowns. Here is a tutorial explaining it. However, this only works for when the unit attacks.
  2. Why don't you just use a modified resistant skin? It allows you to reduce damage, and give it a cooldown. I don't know if it'll show up as a cooldown in the command card though.
  3. Storing the prior command and reissuing it would work in most cases except when the unit is ordered to patrol or channel an ability.
  4. What you could do would be to have a dummy ability based off of Inner Fire to and issue the autocast order and them your unit will cast this when engaged by enemy units. Make sure the spell can only target self and then you'd have to remove the buff and duration of the ability. This would invoke the cooldown required. The AI might even be fast enough to auto cast it as soon as that ability replaces the passive, otherwise you'd have to figure out how much you want to give up to get a good looking icon. Another solution would be to have several abilities (all passive) where the cooldown effect is part of the icons of the ability and just replace them to give an illusion of the ability cooling down. The problem with this solution is that it'd require a dozen or so icons, which adds filesize to the map, and that if you are hovering over the ability to read it and it goes on cooldown, when it is replaced the new tooltip ability won't show up until the mouse is moved again.

Status
Not open for further replies.