• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ability is displayed pale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello! My goal is to create an ability for hero which gives him n% to apply "poison" effect(reduced movement speed and damage over time) when attacking an enemy.

So I created custom ability based on "Orb of slow" item anf then gave it "Shadow strike" ability as a test. For some reason it displays like that:
Is there a solution for this?

upload_2020-5-25_19-33-23.png

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Ah, okay, well you may be able to fix it using this:
  • Unit - For (Triggering unit), Ability Animate Dead, Disable ability: False, Hide UI: False
Test it out on both abilities (Orb + Shadow Strike). It might make the Icon normal again.

Or maybe just this:
  • Unit - For (Triggering unit), Ability Animate Dead, Hide ability: False

Last edited:
Level 5
Ah, okay, well you may be able to fix it using this:
  • Unit - For (Triggering unit), Ability Animate Dead, Disable ability: False, Hide UI: False
Test it out on both abilities (Orb + Shadow Strike). It might make the Icon normal again.

Or maybe just this:
  • Unit - For (Triggering unit), Ability Animate Dead, Hide ability: False
Neither of these triggers worked unfortunately. Even tried Hiding ability: True\False in a sequence.

So I guess the only option is to script the percentage chance? With separate Caster which would apply a spell to every unit player attacks?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
You could also hide the button for the Shadow Strike ability so it doesn't display at all. And then add a new ability to the Hero using something like Storm Hammer (Passive with no effect) that's used purely for a tooltip/icon.

Otherwise, script it with a Damage Engine and have a Dummy cast Shadow Strike on the damaged unit.

Those Orb abilities are glitchy anyway, they only proc if you issue an attack order directly, it'll never proc when your unit automatically acquires a target and autoattacks.

Level 5
What do you mean? Like re-using Events such as "A unit starts the effect of an ability" over and over again?

As long as you're handling variables properly and cleaning up leaks you should be fine.

I mean "Events" triggers and low-latency triggers - How do they get processed by the game? If there is a heavy code in trigger will game process it in one frame or not?
Also another trigger question: If I run trigger from another trigger - will the calling trigger wait for the called trigger to finish?

upload_2020-5-26_13-50-17.png

At the end of "Restore Units" trigger I have another test message
upload_2020-5-26_13-52-43.png

So in my tests it seems like the calling trigger always waits for the called trigger to run the code. Is this always the case? Sorry there's not much info about this. I often use trigger as universal functions and call them and I worry that on lower-end there will be issues.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
It should process it in the same frame although I don't know much about the matter. I'm sure there's ways to break it with using unsafe methods. But what you're doing looks to be perfectly fine.

When you run a trigger, that triggers Actions are basically inserted at the position of your Trigger - Run action. So if Run StoreUnit creates a Footman, and Run RestoreUnits creates a Knight, that example you posted would always be structured like so:

Order of execution
1) Create 1 Footman
2) Create 1 Knight
3) Display Text Message

Status
Not open for further replies.