• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A whole LOT of spells questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I am making an AOS map with a lot of custom heroes, and some have trigger spells (since I haven't learned how to use JASS yet).

Some spells I made work really well, but some just cant bloody work and it irritates the **** out of me.
Some even triggers another spell on the Hero.

Here's one:

Goblin Conversion. I started a Channel spell over a location, and in the trigger, I set it so that each time it's cast, all enemy units in the area of the spell that isn't a Hero or a structure is turned into little goblin units that belong to the Goblin hero.
Except it doesn't work (everything gets turned; even the caster).

Here's another:

(a little more complicated). If a vampire hero casts a spell on a target, she gets its vision (okay so far), but also, each time the target attacks, the vampire gets some HP (like vampiric aura but targeted). This is VERY hard.

There are more, but let me see if anyone can help with these first :)

Level 6
can you post the code so we can see whats wrong with it? just 'copy as text' and paste it here. btw, im very interested in using the vamp one as i have a vamp unit in my map.

Level 8
Yes, I just read the long and extremely informative FAQ/guide by mr. Daelin (salute to you!), and I realize that basing both spells on "berzerk" will do that.

The first spell (Goblin Conversion) is based on Channel. Target is visible and with targeting graphic.
I had it select all units with condition= not Hero and owner= enemy of casting unit.
But it keeps transforming MY hero too. In my mind, it should've worked like "Nature's Call" but not on trees.

The second one is based on Spy (I have since then questioned my decision why). I triggered it so that when its effect is started, another trigger is activated. The variables (caster, target, etc) is on the first trigger, but the buff comes from the Object Manager tinkering of the spell.
I don't know why, but the buff never shows up on the target. It's a problem because
a) it doesn't allow for the vision share to work
b) the trigger it starts (the one that gives HP to the casting hero each time it attacks) ends when the unit has (buff)=false, checking every 0.1 seconds.

Thanks a lot for looking at this, guys.

Level 11
For the first one, please post the trigger here. It should be a simple untargetable AoE hex (if you read my tutorial, you'll know where to search).

For the second one, I am not sure what you did with that buff stuff. Base your spell off cripple with no effect, and before applying wait for condition, wait just before it a 0.10 seconds. That should solve the problem of skiping the effect even though the buff appears.

I think your problem came because you added a buff to the spy spell, even though the spell was not initially buffed. That's completely wrong! Base your spell off another ability which already has buff and should work like your spell, just with another effect.

Oh, and I'm Daelin, 15 (soon 16) years old boy. I am honored by the mr. stuff but, it's not necessary. Call me Daelin, since most of the time, I consider myself a member of this forum like every other member. ;)

~Daelin

Level 7
Daelin said:
Oh, and I'm Daelin, 15 (soon 16) years old boy. I am honored by the mr. stuff but, it's not necessary. Call me Daelin, since most of the time, I consider myself a member of this forum like every other member. ;)

Ahaaa...

I've always been wondering what that line of text above the avatar meant, in fact, I thought you were VG :p.

Level 8
Heheheh... Right, thanks guys. I'll copy and paste it (it's in another computer so I can't right now T_T)

So here's another thing: I tried a spell called "Burrow Drag", which goes like this:
The hero casts it on a unit, which will be burrowed and dragged under ground to the caster unit's position.
I know this is VERY tough, and I tried a number of things, like hiding the unit, creating a dummy buried unit that drags to the caster then moving the target and unhiding it; I tried changing its flight height (after turning it into a flier), but can't seem to get it right.

I'll also post the trigger along when I come back. Cheers! :)

Level 8
Right then. So some of the spells I wrote back then still hasn't functioned properly. Now, instead of posting the codes, I'm thinking some of you could actually see the map instead? It's half done, so there are still loose ends and rubbish things in it (I am making it alone, after all), so if you could give me some input that would be excellent.
I am reluctant to post it because I don't want people to actually play it yet, so how about if I send it to some of you or something? It's only about 750kb's.

Status
Not open for further replies.