• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A way to PREVENT CHAOS ABILITY from calling morph animation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi! I need a Hero to be replaced then back again and I found that the CHAOS ability is the best without needed much triggering, BUT the model I am using as a very intricate morph animation that is called when using that chaos ability. It seems to be hard coded so even if i go into the editor and put manually a wanted spell animation it still calls the morph animation. Is there a way to use a custom script to prevent the chaos ability from calling the morph animation when used??? Maybe someone as a solution?

Thanks!

Level 7
Why not use Morph ability with spell animation? Just set it to Permanent.
I think the mettamorphosis ability is also hard coded as I see now animation in editor. Also the advantage of using Chaos was that i just added the spell via trigger and it automastically morphed. Chaos doesn't need button or icon, which is the other reason.

Have you tried morph ability with other animations before?

Level 12
There's another way, you can do that trick where you give the ability with the opposite of your intended effect:

I.e. if you want unit A to transform into unit B, you give it a bear form ability or whatever you want, but instead of how you'd normally do it, make it so that the original unit is set to "alternate" or "transformed" or whatever it is (I don't recall off the top of my head), and set the original to what you want your unit to transform into.

Now, when you want the unit to transform, just add this ability, and then remove it. What will happen when it's removed is that wc3 thinks that the unit is supposed to be the "original" unit according to the ability, which you have set to what's really the alternative unit. Thus the unit instantly transform into the alternative unit.

To get the unit to transform back you need to have a second ability, this time the regular, and what you do is the same thing again. When you want the unit to transform back just give the unit the second ability, and then remove it.

I might post the link for the original post about it, if I find it, but I think it was @WaterKnight who found this trick long ago.

Level 7
There's another way, you can do that trick where you give the ability with the opposite of your intended effect:

I.e. if you want unit A to transform into unit B, you give it a bear form ability or whatever you want, but instead of how you'd normally do it, make it so that the original unit is set to "alternate" or "transformed" or whatever it is (I don't recall off the top of my head), and set the original to what you want your unit to transform into.

Now, when you want the unit to transform, just add this ability, and then remove it. What will happen when it's removed is that wc3 thinks that the unit is supposed to be the "original" unit according to the ability, which you have set to what's really the alternative unit. Thus the unit instantly transform into the alternative unit.

To get the unit to transform back you need to have a second ability, this time the regular, and what you do is the same thing again. When you want the unit to transform back just give the unit the second ability, and then remove it.

I might post the link for the original post about it, if I find it, but I think it was @WaterKnight who found this trick long ago.
Just reading it I am a bit confused, but it makes sens. What I wonder is that if I use a spell like bear form, will I have to order it to transform via trigger, bbecause chaos, the unit just transfomr right away.

Level 12
Just reading it I am a bit confused, but it makes sens. What I wonder is that if I use a spell like bear form, will I have to order it to transform via trigger, bbecause chaos, the unit just transfomr right away.
No you don't have to make any order or anything. Just give the unit the ability with trigger, and then remove the ability right away.

It's when the ability is removed that the unit is transformed, because the game gets tricked by the ability that the unit is supposed to be what you want your unit to transform into.

Level 7
No you don't have to make any order or anything. Just give the unit the ability with trigger, and then remove the ability right away.

It's when the ability is removed that the unit is transformed, because the game gets tricked by the ability that the unit is supposed to be what you want your unit to transform into.
OK I will try that and let you know if it worked. Thanks

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@Death Adder , thanks for posting this; I was just in need of this truck, but you saved me having to go through my files/favorites to find it. : )

You also motivated me to try & finally implement it for myself, and I'm glad to say it worked... Kinda.

It kept the "state" of the unit (buffs, etc), which is exactly what I needed. However, in my particular case (trying to make a unit which can climb up a target tree: i.e. replacing it on spell-cast with an identical version but with no movement & flying), I have to trigger-move the unit directly over the tree it targets... And that part doesn't work (the Bear-Formed original unit becomes the alternate unit correctly, but on the *ground*, *next* to the tree rather than in the air on top of it.

Thoughts?

Level 12
@Death Adder , thanks for posting this; I was just in need of this truck, but you saved me having to go through my files/favorites to find it. : )

You also motivated me to try & finally implement it for myself, and I'm glad to say it worked... Kinda.

It kept the "state" of the unit (buffs, etc), which is exactly what I needed. However, in my particular case (trying to make a unit which can climb up a target tree: i.e. replacing it on spell-cast with an identical version but with no movement & flying), I have to trigger-move the unit directly over the tree it targets... And that part doesn't work (the Bear-Formed original unit becomes the alternate unit correctly, but on the *ground*, *next* to the tree rather than in the air on top of it.

Thoughts?
Honestly, I only remember the trick, and I don't think I've used it that often either. I can't seem to find it among my bookmarks either...

Maybe it lands on the ground because of that option in morphing abilities to 'land' on closest ground-pathable terrain?

Otherwise, did you try to simply use the SetUnitX & SetUnitY functions? (Since move unit instantly checks for pathing or w/e, that might be the cause)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Honestly, I only remember the trick, and I don't think I've used it that often either. I can't seem to find it among my bookmarks either...

Maybe it lands on the ground because of that option in morphing abilities to 'land' on closest ground-pathable terrain?

Otherwise, did you try to simply use the SetUnitX & SetUnitY functions? (Since move unit instantly checks for pathing or w/e, that might be the cause)
Huh, both of those might be the Thing (I wondered if I should use Crow Form instead of Bear Form)... I *did* use "move unit instantly". I'll have to try that when I get home, thanks. : )

Level 7

Alleluhia! It works perfectly! What a discovery that little trick. A thousands thanks! Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.