• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A strange error message when playing a custom game, any solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello! I used to play Warcraft 3 in the past long before it was turned into Reforge, there is an old map I wanted to revisit I had played as a child so I downloaded it off this site and another version from EpicWar but both versions of the map wouldn't work. It was Wolf Packs Alpha by Darkwulfv. However, when I try to run it in Reforged I get a really strange error message and I am not sure how to go about fixing it. I am not very tech savvy and I am unfamiliar with Reforged vs the classic. So I am hoping perhaps there is a way to get this game to work in Reforged, or is it a sad case of the remaster breaking the game? Thank you in advance if you have any insight, and I will post the screenshot below.

1668688127129.png

Last edited:
Level 29
Some older maps are incompatible with Warcraft 3 Reforged (or latest version of Warcraft 3 Classic), but others still playable. However, in the latter case, you might get various issues such as green icons. This is likely because the map uses the legacy models.
Also, your version of Warcraft 3 Reforged seems to be 1.33.0.19308. I really don't recommend playing some older maps on that version since there are a lot of features that are broken with this version.

Level 1
Some older maps are incompatible with Warcraft 3 Reforged (or latest version of Warcraft 3 Classic), but others still playable. However, in the latter case, you might get various issues such as green icons. This is likely because the map uses the legacy models.
Also, your version of Warcraft 3 Reforged seems to be 1.33.0.19308. I really don't recommend playing some older maps on that version since there are a lot of features that are broken with this version.
Ah that's a shame. Was really looking to trying to play this game again, oh well I guess.
And yeah? Can you play without having your game updated?

On August 17th, 2022 (almost two years after the Reforged team was let go) someone at the office at Blizzard released an update for Warcraft III Reforged that is called the Patch 1.33. So, this is not Reforged itself but the update from recent months.
The idea behind the recent update was to "say I did it" with making a Ranked Ladder and the guy who pushed out the update left shortly after it was released [allegedly]. One of the changes in this update is that a lot of stuff in the game was reformatted by the 2020 team in unfinished and experimental ways, such as an experimental caching system for all files loaded in the game that was trying to make the game faster. But the experimental cache isn't finished, so a ton of just totally random stuff crashes like the ingame campaign.

So, despite negative news that you might have heard in the last two years about Warcraft III Reforged, the situation is actively getting worse and is set to likely get even worse in the next few weeks or months. There were even more experimental changes that the 2020 team was not quite done building, and the new guys are going to push those out next week without really testing them much, because they can and they feel like it. It lets them check off the box to their managers to say they added features to the game that are not really there and do not really work, like the Ranked Play and stuff that has been missing the last two years.

Along with these experimental changes, one of the things that they broke is the map editor. A lot of buttons and UI in the map editor (after these recent changes) will just crash randomly, and we have pretty good leaks to suggest the changes were made by the 2020 laid off team who intentionally never released those changes because the changes were not finished.

So, you can try to open the map you have listed in the World Editor as a first start. If you want to fix a map that will not run like that, the easiest way to fix it is probably from the map editor. But a lot of maps were intentionally corrupted over the years to try to make the World Editor crash when opening them, and that often leads to then when the way the game loads files changes -- like maybe the game and editor being more consistent -- then now maybe the game would also crash on your map, similar to how the map author intended only the map editor to crash by corrupting it "just so" years ago whenever the map was made before Reforged. So, there are two possible problems you might have when you try to open this map:
  • Opening the map might crash because it was intentionally damaged years ago when the map was made
  • Opening the map might crash because Activision is in the process in the last few months of damaging the Warcraft III codebase public release client further, especially the map editor
If you have the first problem, solving your problem is going to be harder. If you have the second problem, someone here on Hive can probably get you sorted out pretty quickly since a lot of people who are passionate about this game are going to have versions of the World Editor from before Activision trashed it in the last few months.

I think if I were you, I would start by trying to determine which of these two problems you would have if you try to just open the map with the World Editor.

Level 1
Yeah, I unfortunately heard a lot of bad things about Reforged, I had pre-ordered the game in 2018 and forgotten I had until now. So it's the only reason I have a copy now. It's quite a shame what happened to this remaster, it's so horribly buggy and laggy.

Also this talk about the world editor being borked makes sense now since I was looking at another old map [one I made as a kid] and I swear it was so laggy and I even had buttons vanish at one point. Oof.

Initially before I opened this thread I tried opening the editor to view the stuff inside Wolf Packs Alpha to see if there was anything I could mess with but unfortunately it crashes after attempting to load the map. I don't know if this means it was deliberately messed with or Reforged did something to the editor itself. I don't think the dev of this map is around either anymore. So I'm definitely at a loss of where to go with this, since I don't think getting the classic WC3 back is possible thanks to Reforged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.