• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

A questionable style of modding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
"Site Discussion Discuss The Hive Workshop's content, features and files. Comment on our style, explore the site's possibilities or suggest improvements!"

I have a specific question on THW's style, especially moderation rules.

Does anyone here think that agreeing with other people is unnecessary and should be marked as spam? If you think that agreeing with others is a moral right then please comment. If not, please state why you think agreeing with others is unnecessary and why agreeing should not be allowed.

Level 14
If someone says something that you agree with in certain veins of discussions, saying that you agree with them is showing quantitative support for that opinion among the masses. That means it's valuable in that it helps others gauge how much support X opinion carries.

There are more constructive approaches to agreeing with users than quoting them and going "QFT," though. I'd consider that specific case spam.

If someone says something that you agree with in certain veins of discussions, saying that you agree with them is showing quantitative support for that opinion among the masses. That means it's valuable in that it helps others gauge how much support X opinion carries.

There are more constructive approaches to agreeing with users than quoting them and going "QFT," though. I'd consider that specific case spam.

QFT.

Seriously though. Where'd you get the idea that agreeing is bad? D:

Level 6
Whats QFT? and is Restor a moderator?

Anyways, a specific example i can refer to is when someone agreed with his idea and commented back "He speaks words of wisdom!"

Now, other people talk differently. Some are more detailed, others might just type a couple of words, and some might use funny words to lighten up the topic while still agreeing.

So, referring to dusk, are you saying only people who show quantitative support for that opinion among the masses is only allowed to speak up? Or are other people allowed to speak up? Are they shoved into a corner and not cared for? Must everyone speak the same way and respond the same way?

I can understand spam is in random typing letters or posting multiple forums with blank spaces, but I can't understand the logic of how you could possibly ignore everyone who does not speak in a way that shows quantitative support for that opinion among the masses.

Doesn't everyone have the right to speak however style they wish to? And no, I do not mean it literal as in people who yell and cause trouble should not be punished. You know what I mean.

Level 14
MrBimbo said:
So, referring to dusk, are you saying only people who show quantitative support for that opinion among the masses is only allowed to speak up? Or are other people allowed to speak up? Are they shoved into a corner and not cared for? Must everyone speak the same way and respond the same way?
You can only expect people to put as much effort into reading and responding to your posts as you put into making them. People in general are less likely to listen to you if you post something that doesn't really contribute anything other than "I agree."

Everyone has the right to speak, sure, but the rules of the site are that people must contribute, otherwise they are spamming. The difference therein is crucial.

Level 6
You can only expect people to put as much effort into reading and responding to your posts as you put into making them. People in general are less likely to listen to you if you post something that doesn't really contribute anything other than "I agree."

Everyone has the right to speak, sure, but the rules of the site are that people must contribute, otherwise they are spamming. The difference therein is crucial.

Ah, okay. That second paragraph makes more sense to me. So what if let's say... there was a user who gave their review of a map. Then another user agrees with the person, but adds on to the list of bugs/ideas? That's not considered spam right, since that person contributed?

And I did put a lot of effort into making my post. I actually asked many random groups both in THW and on other online places. Then, I made this forum to get THW's people's views. Also, I was hoping that I would not get any feed back from this post from different people. Because that would mean that people don't care enough to tell me wrong because I am right. (not trying to be cocky). So i did expect to have few people to respond, but it doesn't mean i didn't put any effort. I'm an over achiever. Don't tell me I never put any effort into anything. Why are moderators always starting the fights?

Level 22
> Restor

These statements are untrue.
I encourage any and all users to report directly to me any and all times where a staff member flamed them and did not receive any retribution for that instance. I will be happy to take care of those staff members myself.*
As for the other part, I have seen many, many threads of people presenting opinions that differed with those of some members of staff, and nothing bad happened to those people.

*I cannot do anything if you are flamed by Ralle.

There are 2 types of comments that should be used in order to produce results.
Critcizm and Approval

If you like something, tell them why.
If you don't, tell them why.

Agreeing with someone should not be labelled as spam simply because it tells someone that the things they are doing are right and approved by others.
This is a forum, people should be able to say their feelings.

On the other side... a page of replies that looks like this, should be spam.

P1: Hey nice model
P2: Yeah thats cool
P1: Its like the best thing ive ever seen LOLOLOLOLOl
P3: This model iz stuped. IT Freaken sux because it needs to be added witjh 600060mfd weapons
P1: You suck stupid
P2: Yeah you do!

Keep it constructive. Like some one said above, I believe. If you have posted 30 times in a single thread and you haven't typed at least 50 words altogether.. spam.

Level 12
> Restor

These statements are untrue.
I encourage any and all users to report directly to me any and all times where a staff member flamed them and did not receive any retribution for that instance. I will be happy to take care of those staff members myself.*
As for the other part, I have seen many, many threads of people presenting opinions that differed with those of some members of staff, and nothing bad happened to those people.

*I cannot do anything if you are flamed by Ralle.

Of course these statements SHOULD not be true. But I have feeling sometimes, that it is very close to the truth.

I have no problem with Ralle, but I will not name the others, it is more damage to them, if they cannot take the others opinions, than that when they neg rep me or deleting my posts and closing that thread without reasonable reason.
Other words, they are loosers and I am moral winner.

Level 31
Of course these statements SHOULD not be true. But I have feeling sometimes, that it is very close to the truth.

I have no problem with Ralle, but I will not name the others, it is more damage to them, if they cannot take the others opinions, than that when they neg rep me or deleting my posts and closing that thread without reasonable reason.
Other words, they are loosers and I am moral winner.

If you refer to me for deleting your post at 1 of my thread, I have told you the reason about it. And as far as I know, the staff won't -rep a user just because they have disagreement about some matter. Infact, I have a few disagreement with the other staff such as Mecheon and Ash (While he was still a mod). But, I never seen them -rep me just because of disagreement.

And if there is indeed a prove of it, it was welcome to report it to Ralle immediately for immediate action.

Level 12
So people tell me, one thread about one anonymous map, every write like "5/5" and one post is like "1/5" and that one post is deleted by author of that map, and yes, not a word about it, so other people dont know anything about it.

What is your feeling about it, guys?

And yes, the prove itself was deleted with the post also.

But I do not really care about these kind of people, if it will make their life happier to hide truth, may it be.

And I dont give concrete Names, If somebody will find himself in this, thats his business.

There are 2 types of comments that should be used in order to produce results.
Critcizm and Approval

If you like something, tell them why.
If you don't, tell them why.

Agreeing with someone should not be labelled as spam simply because it tells someone that the things they are doing are right and approved by others.
This is a forum, people should be able to say their feelings.

On the other side... a page of replies that looks like this, should be spam.

P1: Hey nice model
P2: Yeah thats cool
P1: Its like the best thing ive ever seen LOLOLOLOLOl
P3: This model iz stuped. IT Freaken sux because it needs to be added witjh 600060mfd weapons
P1: You suck stupid
P2: Yeah you do!

Keep it constructive. Like some one said above, I believe. If you have posted 30 times in a single thread and you haven't typed at least 50 words altogether.. spam.

I don't mind such comments on my resources

So people tell me, one thread about one anonymous map, every write like "5/5" and one post is like "1/5" and that one post is deleted by author of that map, and yes, not a word about it, so other people dont know anything about it.

What is your feeling about it, guys?

And yes, the prove itself was deleted with the post also.

But I do not really care about these kind of people, if it will make their life happier to hide truth, may it be.

And I dont give concrete Names, If somebody will find himself in this, thats his business.

I don't believe thats ever happened. It's a sad world we live in if it is. I don't think people even rate things with a 1 unless the resource itself pissed off a user.
I really hope this is not what the argument is about.

Level 22
> Restor

I know the post to which you are referring. Here it is:

Restor said:
I will be honest, 22MB for this map is too too too much,

Terrain-average, but you dont know working with fog&sky&shading, there is nothing of this

Cameras-the same basic mistake all the time, from cam A to B is is not smooth! Use shorter wait, it was ugly to see, then you should learn some basic camera movements which can give some action and "feel of cinematic", use shorter cameras movements and more camera objects, and dont be afraid to use cameraX for 0 sec, (when camera is changing from one side of scene to another, it dont have to go throught all solid objects)

Story-well, pathetic really, and naive, but thats all with texts, units, efects, make it more dramatically (like, satan will go to my room, and say "i will kill you", and i say "omfg, lol, dont kill me please") Or more epicness.

I am deciding between 1/5 and 2/5. Or find someone to make cins for you, this was horrible

The reason that Samuraid deleted this post after it was brought to his attention by Septimus was the fact that the points made therein where made in a manner that was demeaning and inflammatory to the creator of the map. I would probably categorize this post under "Trolling." The new punishment system was put into place to provide standards with which to deal with these types of problems, where the judgment of the moderator lies in where to classify the problem, but once it HAS been classified, there is a clear-cut response. The response to this post now would be an expiring infraction and deletion of the post.

Anyway, if you had been more constructive with your criticism instead of destructive, then the post would not have been deleted. There is sometimes a fine line between criticism and flaming, and it is important to stay on the right side of that line.

> And about mods and flaming: use the report button ffs.

I agree. The purpose of the report button is to notify the staff about any problems that arise. When you report something, then the Director of the section in which the report was made or a moderator of that section should resolve the problem in due course. If some time passes (around 3 or so days is quite fair to both sides, I think) then I would send a PM to a director such as myself to see about getting that problem resolved.

Level 12
This thread is not about me but

Is that "trolling". Really? I dont think so.

I wrote the all bad things on, did I attacked someone in that post? No, I wrote some help there too, but no, you people see that i wasnt acting like "oo, i feeeel sorry but your maaap has soome erors *cry*...." Many people know, that if something is taken to little absurdum, the mistakes will be more clear. E.G Try to write some literature text to some real contest, my post is like fairy tale comparing to response of profesional writers to your work (try it sometimes, you dont know what is flaming anyway)

It was deleted and locked, thanks hive for freedom of speech really.

You all know, if some mod would wrote this, nothing would happen (and dont write it is not truth, becouse all thinking people here know that it is true)

Level 6
I don't mind such comments on my resources

Yes you would if every time you get a criticism remark, your thread gets marked as ignored or your map gets marked as Maps Attention or Maps Rejected.

Someone said something earlier about constructing replies like if they posted 6 lines but not even a total of 50 words was placed then it should be marked as spam versus agreeing constructively. I tootally agree with you!

Level 22
> if some mod would wrote this, nothing would happen

If it came to my attention, I would make sure something would happen. I personally do not want any moderators on the staff who would overlook bad comments, no matter who makes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.