• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

a pro map maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, please write proper English.

Secondly, a pro map maker should know all the common rules for mapping and follow most of them. This does not require to use (v)Jass, but you should be aware to make your map flexible and extendable. Also you should try to make your spells/systems multi unit instanceable, so you don't need to remake it when the conditions of the map change.

@Anachron: you are only focusing on triggering. I think you value triggers, especially vJASS(coz you're good at it) too high above a large number of other factors that are more important by tenfolds.

To be a pro mapmaker, you'll need:
Commitment
The ability to pull something together from resources
A valid place for resources(eg. The Hive Workshop if you need models etc.)
An advanced understanding of object data
A sound understanding of triggers and how to construct your own basic resources
The knowledge of what makes a map of a specific type fun OR unique

When he wrote 'pro', he doesn't mean 'professional', I think he means a good mapmaker. God knows the amount of gatherings of nerds if they make level-creating for fantasy games an occupation :0
When you wrote 'be the best' you contradicted yourself. To get to the 'best', you have to be 'good', and thus, the 'best', or 2nd best, or 3rd-100th best mapmaker is a 'pro' mapmaker.

Level 3
thats mean if some people is good map make will clearly understand what map was he going on and make something very hard style was another map maker cant do it

@D4RK_G4ND4LF: What, so someone who doesn't even have a computer, but has determination can start mapping for WC3? Anachron is right, think of it this way; the things you need to BE a pro mapper are the ones I listed, the thing you need to BECOME a pro mapper is commitment, as you yourself ('the things you mentioned will come with time') stated.

Level 13
The humor in this topic is how general it has become and how far it has deviated from the (vague) question.

When becoming a map maker you can choose either to focus on a single area of expertise or to become a jack of all trades. One will suit you best with teamwork and the other will allow you self sufficiency, so going for both is a major benefit but will not allow you to excel above competition.

Having the right tools and becoming experienced with them can help tremendously. Be resourceful, that is the first rule. Don't be afraid to browse through hundreds of tutorials and models and information and spells, get to know fellow mappers, accumulating who and what you can.

Know what is played, and why. Simple games have weedled their way into the hearts of hundreds of WC3 players. Complex games often fall short of their target. Never let your ambitions destroy you (This is why your work never gets finished).

Which brings us to: Finish your work! A map can't get played if it never gets released. If you bit off more than you can chew, perhaps it's time you set your goals lower by comparison and start again.

_PV

_PV

Level 7
Hey every1.. (im new to da site) and i just feel like also saying something here =]....
i'm currently busy with my RPG (havn't decided on a nam yet, LOL) even if i do say this myself; im good with map editing (in the fields of terraining, triggers, object editor, well... everything exept the AI manager =o i dread that cursed manager!) anyway, i've created my blademaster, gave him bladestorm, Blade Edge, (ok, everybody knows bladestrom (i hope...), and blade Edge is just my custom name for critical strike).. yeah he may sound so mediocre BUT WAIT, i gave him "elegant Thrust", bearing that the blademaster dashes toward a target, damaging all in his path. (based ability off shockwave(attack;slam)) and made the shockwave model "mirror image"
i wouldv'e added the trigger to this post, but i don't knw how they do it in that notepad format XD... anyway, his ultimate is "Pyromania" which includes a knockback and is based off shadow strike.. my heroes go to lvl 30, all abilities go to lvl 5 and ive smoothed out the exp gaining at the gameplay constants (tough work!). i already created 25 items, aiming for over 60. (30 light orientated items and 30 dark orientated items), already have 5 recipes... my map is gna be a RPG with a Hero Arena mix.

i began 2 days ago, its looking smooth! any help and advice would be much aprieciated, critics are welcome. i'm not a pro mapper, more like interrmediate.
thats about all i have to say about that

@Titanhex: You just repeated my first post except with less qualifications and more formal, boring and nerdy writing.

The ability to pull something together from resources AND
A valid place for resources(eg. The Hive Workshop if you need models etc.):

Having the right tools and becoming experienced with them can help tremendously. Be resourceful, that is the first rule. Don't be afraid to browse through hundreds of tutorials and models and information and spells, get to know fellow mappers, accumulating who and what you can.
Oh that's a bit similar.

The knowledge of what makes a map of a specific type fun OR unique:
Know what is played, and why. Simple games have weedled their way into the hearts of hundreds of WC3 players. Complex games often fall short of their target. Never let your ambitions destroy you (This is why your work never gets finished).
Oh, that's just coincidence.

Commitment:

Which brings us to: Finish your work! A map can't get played if it never gets released. If you bit off more than you can chew, perhaps it's time you set your goals lower by comparison and start again.
Now that's just fishy how they all are the same, except marginally longer!

PS. I'm really angry partly because of a request I am trying to do, and partly because of the alarming rate of people who like to repeat post for rep/fame/friendliness even though what they said has been said a few posts above their own.

Level 13
This has just become grounds for a flame war and post redeclaration. Considering the first post was barely coherent and the poster has yet to post a second post, perhaps this thread deserves to be locked and closed.

@GhostThrust: Don't be mad because I took a few of the things people have said and epitomized them in better writing and with greater detail as to what they mean.

Level 8
Hey every1.. (im new to da site) and i just feel like also saying something here =]....
i'm currently busy with my RPG (havn't decided on a nam yet, LOL) even if i do say this myself; im good with map editing (in the fields of terraining, triggers, object editor, well... everything exept the AI manager =o i dread that cursed manager!) anyway, i've created my blademaster, gave him bladestorm, Blade Edge, (ok, everybody knows bladestrom (i hope...), and blade Edge is just my custom name for critical strike).. yeah he may sound so mediocre BUT WAIT, i gave him "elegant Thrust", bearing that the blademaster dashes toward a target, damaging all in his path. (based ability off shockwave(attack;slam)) and made the shockwave model "mirror image"
i wouldv'e added the trigger to this post, but i don't knw how they do it in that notepad format XD... anyway, his ultimate is "Pyromania" which includes a knockback and is based off shadow strike.. my heroes go to lvl 30, all abilities go to lvl 5 and ive smoothed out the exp gaining at the gameplay constants (tough work!). i already created 25 items, aiming for over 60. (30 light orientated items and 30 dark orientated items), already have 5 recipes... my map is gna be a RPG with a Hero Arena mix.

i began 2 days ago, its looking smooth! any help and advice would be much aprieciated, critics are welcome. i'm not a pro mapper, more like interrmediate.

start a thread......

Level 9
In short..... A pro mapmaker is logical about something that he/she wanted to appear in the map when played.

An example of this is that you wanted to create a missile launch skill but there is no default skill that Blizzard provided for, in order to achieve what you want, you must know how to use resources available in the WC3 World Editor or other Warcraft III editing programs like triggering, object manipulation and many more.

I hope you understand..... :D

Level 11

You sir are way off-topic. How about creating a new thread in the correct section?

Status
Not open for further replies.