• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Pile of Ugly 1

Even if you don't plan to read the rest, for the best experience set:
Music Volume to 100%
Sound Volume to 100%

Well, it's been a while since I last visited these halls, but I have a treat in store for all of my fans (if you guys still remember who I am :)). I have been working on something this summer (a lot of things, actually, but this one is the only thing warcraft related). I started recruiting voice actors and I finally got my last recordings a few days ago. Now, after all this time, I am ready to introduce yet another innovation to the warcraft cinematic universe. This time, however, I'm bringing something closer to home and not as exciting.

Motivation
Most cinematics revolve around a linear story, with basic concepts, such as good vs evil. Evil beings or gods looking to destroy and heroes to defeat them. Battles and special effects. It would seem we have lost story and character built. With this, I plan to expand on what "The Cult of the Damned" originally was meant to be - a real movie made in warcraft.

General Idea
"A Pile of Ugly" is more than a warcraft 3 cinematic. It isn't another story of right and wrong, nor is it a story where you can clearly see who is the hero and who is the villain. It is a story of people. Simple as that. People, as gray as can be. While the first part in the series, "Threshold" focuses mainly on introducing the characters, as well as setting the initial story, the latter parts (which, knowing myself, might never come out) will focus on developing these characters, all the while progressing the story towards a very uncertain ending.

Basic Story
"A Pile of Ugly" follows the story of one Borigard Smith, a veteran character who showed up briefly in the Sect of the Holy Mother 7 - The Siege of Zambilion, as well as in the Clown of As'Latur, where he was the main narrator to the story. We see Borigard Smith who, after over thirty years of adventure and trading, has decided to retire to his home town, As'Latur. It is not long before Smith realizes that his beloved home town has become a den of thievery and crime, lead by the man who currently runs this town. Smith has to find a way to deal with the situation, all the while battling some of his own demons as well as the mysterious forces that lie in every shadow of Kaliim.

Additional Story

"A Pile of Ugly" takes place in a fictional world I created, known as Kaliim.
You can find a map of Kaliim here.
You can take a look at my finished cinematic series "The Sect of the Holy Mother", which tells the story of the rise and fall of the Holy Mother, an evil god whose influence and power helped shape Kaliim to what it is today.
You can take a look at my unfinished cinematic series "The Lone Panther", which somewhat continues the story of the previous installment, focusing on the left overs of the destruction of the Sect.
You can also take a look at an independent cinematic, titled "The Clown of As'Latur", which could, in some ways, be considered a prequel to "A Pile of Ugly", as it focuses on the same town, only a few years prior. The story told there will also play a minor element in this series.
All of these cinematics can be downloaded from here.

You can also watch the Clown of As'Latur with better effects and filters on youtube

Credits

Voice Actors
Nikola Luburic as Borigard Smith and Marcus Infirm
Zachary Adams as Dutch Finny
Aisu as Vanesa Finny
Cody Edwards as Tim Lawson, Mich Goldwin and Charles Matthew
John Mithril as Keyser Cloe
David Botcher as Father Veritas and Ersted Lebridge

Resources
Authors of the Ultimate Terraining Map (UTM)
Mr. Bob JetFangInferno Elandor
Hueter PyramidHe@d communist_orc
Fingolfin Tranquil Hellish Hybrid
Heptameron Chriz. xXm0rph3usXx
Nasrudin Mc! iNfraNe
HappyTauren Ribenamania

Keywords:
Warcraft, Kaliim, Sect, Holy Mother, Lone Panther, Kafana, Clown, As'Latur, Story, Lore, Epic
Contents

A Pile of Ugly 1 (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael Date: 2012/Dec/01 13:58:56 [Please do not send me a message, use Staff Contact] Comment:Definitely a jaw-dropping cinematic by CMarket again: Excellent voice-acting (some of them could be better, but it's the best you can get...
Level 8
I still check back at the hive every once in a blue moon to see if an interesting cinematic comes around. I admire you for continuing to produce even if its only as often as you do.

I respect the effort put into this cinematic.

The voice acting was for the most part quite outstanding for a cinematic. Although unfortunately Borigard was a tad monotonous and slow.. and as for Marcus, I got the whole "mentally damaged" and whatnot persona, but his lines could have been enunciated better and at some points I could barely hear him. But Dutch, the guardsman Tim, Keyser and Vanesa were very, very good. And then the father and Ersted were down right amazing.

To be honest, I struggled to keep interest in the story. There was a lack of interesting and consistent conflict or issue in the cinematic. There were too many side stories laying around such as the guardsman with Borigard's wife, Ersted's whole scheme, Borigard being shady about the reason behind his debt, etc. Maybe that's why its titled "A Pile of Ugly"? (which by the way, I feel was a bit too colloquial a title for such a serious cinematic).
You wrapped it up with what seems likely to be the central event of the series, that is, the hauntedness of the house with the clown and the abomination and the blademaster. (Keep in mind, there's a fine line between mystery and throw-random-scary-visuals-at-the-viewer-and-make-them-guess-what's-going-on) So the way I see it, there was not very much storytelling except for right at the end. Well that's not true, there was a tremendous amount of storytelling but in seemingly irrelevant bits and pieces. And speaking of which, I was thoroughly impressed by the writing. When coupled with a good voice and great camera cinematography, it produced great, albeit potentially sidetrack, stories (the story about the trees, and Ersted's scheming come to mind).

I understand you are aiming for character development in this. A character best develops through how they go through conflict. And since there was little conflict, I couldn't really get a feel for most of the characters.. yet, anyways. Maybe in the future episodes. For character development, don't tell us about them, show them to us.

The camera work had nothing to complain over. Choppiness isn't something to pick at. Your first person angles were great, not going to lie, the clown in the window was good.

Terrain was also fairly good. Your indoor work is particularly detailed. And the use of sky and fog for outdoors was great. Overall, it worked. It definitely could've been better, but enough work was put into the terrain to make a convincing world.

Music was fitting. Great use of sounds.

So in summary. Presentation is good. Voices ranging from bad to fan-freaking-tastic. Writing is great, keep it up should you continue the story. Storytelling so far is stale and/or in bits and pieces. This is the biggest note since because of this, I could barely keep interest. It's possibly to telling an interesting story without action (especially with the help of GOOD voice acting), but action certainly helps keep the audience.

Level 14
Thank you for this exceptional review. Nothing motivates and pleases me more than seeing someone take the time to write a critique regarding my work :))

I am truly glad to see you enjoyed my cinematic. Regarding the story, I agree that things are a bit "slow" in this one, but this was mainly due to the fact that I needed to introduce the characters as well as their story (to some extent). As the subtitle of the cinematic suggests ("Threshold") the idea was to simply present the location, it's current state and the majority of the players. Latter parts will surely have conflict and greater character development, though I'm quite sad to say that the parts I'm referring to won't be released any time soon :(

Anyway, I truly appreciate you putting effort into your post. I'll surely have to find more time to work on the cinematic series.

Level 30
Thank you for this exceptional review. Nothing motivates and pleases me more than seeing someone take the time to write a critique regarding my work :))

I am truly glad to see you enjoyed my cinematic. Regarding the story, I agree that things are a bit "slow" in this one, but this was mainly due to the fact that I needed to introduce the characters as well as their story (to some extent). As the subtitle of the cinematic suggests ("Threshold") the idea was to simply present the location, it's current state and the majority of the players. Latter parts will surely have conflict and greater character development, though I'm quite sad to say that the parts I'm referring to won't be released any time soon :(

Anyway, I truly appreciate you putting effort into your post. I'll surely have to find more time to work on the cinematic series.

Your great fan will be waiting for your next Pile of Ugly! And your great fan is me....lol!

Level 30
Well, I've asked CMarket about the upcoming parts of this and he said it'll take many years or such... I cant remember the reason he gave on why but it will take a while sadly. :(

AH yes, I've remembered due to busy college life!

Level 14
I think I might be able to get it done this summer, but I can't make any promises. I'll actually probably start working on it today. I'll write up the basic plot, see how many characters I'll need and contact my earlier staff of voice actors to see how many of them will be available.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Hello,

I watched your cinematic. It's high quality and of course among the highest ranking wc3 cinematics.. but that's not that great. I think you can do better :)

Good Points:
  • You have voice acting, and some of the actors are actually good at it. This alone propels you to a top-5 cinematic position
  • The first part of the dream sequence was genuinely frightening and well executed
  • Your character development is decent, which is better than anyone should expect

My suggested improvement points:
  • You have access to some voice actors who are good at their role and also have decent recording equipment. I suggest giving these actors the roles with the most/longest speech. If the main character was voiced by Botcher/Edwards the quality would rise significantly.
  • Have someone who is a native english speaker edit your dialog for both correctness and brevity (I can do that if you like). There were only a few minor grammar mistakes, but besides that your dialog is just often uncomfortably (and boringly) long. The cinematic was 30 minutes but I guarantee you the story would be the same and the film would be better at 20 minutes.
    • You also have slow speech in some parts, which should be avoided.
    • Your dream sequence was also too long, which causes problems in relation to rising tension and climax.
  • During dialog segments, experiment with better film patterns. Note how in film during dialog there are often a few fixed camera locations which are static during the conversation. This is character-driven development, and something you should excel in.
    • Probably one of the best dialog scenes in film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rIYXfztyxA Only two cameras. Neither of them move.
    • Likewise, active, high action scenes also have a lot of still imagery. Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC5zRvqnRm8 (regarded as one of the best intros in film)
    • And another high action one, again from heet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60-sEXUPBY - Val Kilmer flips a 180 and shoots a guy 200 meters behind the camera, and the camera doesn't even move. It's so much more comfortable for the viewer, too. Save your careening, fluid camera habits for special occasions - I liked for example the beginning of the dream sequence, but don't do this often!
  • Using animation time scale (SetUnitTimeScale()) to your advantage. Making a unit frozen in place would look good for the main character in the sleeping scene, and slowing units down can be used to make a subject appear faster.
  • Consider on-site voice-actors. You seem to have a decent recording setup. Do you know anyone who could be a potential voice actor in your room/office? Just a possibility.
  • We're getting far-fetched with this suggestion, but consider learning to animate models. A "walk slow" animation on your primary character would be useful, and a few new stand animations for the "magma crawler" (dog) would make it a bit more organic.

In general, this is one of the best cinematics I've seen from you, CMarket. I hope you take my suggestions into consideration, because I really want to see you develop as a cinematographer, and not just make more stories.

Good luck!

Wow that was awesome! I haven't been on hive in a little bit but I was threshing through my warcraft 3 folder and found a cinematic I had made a while ago. I had a lot of fun watching it so I came to hive to download more fun :p

I was certainly not disappointed. It was great and I guess some people didn't like your camera work, but honestly it was one of the first things that impressed me :p
Good scripts, personalities, detail, side stories and references to the scale of the world. It's always more fun when you think you are in a different world instead of a different room. Thanks for the great entertainment!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
3/5.

Apart from almost venerating yourself, the story went haywire with that dream/vision that made no sense as it also felt out of context.

Pressing ESC when the credits are on, a message is spammed and the level doesn't end unless ESC is pressed considerably enough times.

EDIT:
Rewatched this. I praise the longevity and artistic visuals.

Some goof, the people at the burial should not all start moving but one by one as they stumble unto each other.
The camera should be smooth when panning from a place to another. It waits to get to a point before changing its course which makes it too robotic.

I didn't get the feeling that is was too inspired by a particular other work of fiction.

Last edited:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

The clown appearing at the window in the night, scared me to death. Anyway, one of the best cinematic I've ever seen. 5/5 Nicely done