• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A magic based arena map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Basically Ive had this idea for awhile and seeing as Gen. Frank
suggested this forum to post it I thought why not?
So basically here it is: I have the idea that in this fantasy land there are 21 (more will be added if the first lot are made) types of magic split into a total of 3 categories. These are as follows with the category preceding the spell types under it:

-Elemental-
Earth
Air
Fire
Water
Metal
Sound
Lightning
Ice

-Biomancy-
PLant
Beast
Blood
Bone
Plague
Insect

-Unnatural-
Shadow
Death
Mind
Time
Light
Demon
Puppetry

The way the game works is that it uses an rpg style upgrading system and character system. Then you play matches in various 'arenas'. You select the game mode in a 'lobby' tyoe area which also contains shops and whatnot. You also select the players who are participating in that particular match, gamemode, map etc etc.

These can be anything from 1-12 players and have a variety of gamemodes available and options available. For example, teams , deathmatch, ctf, and another mode which I thought of maybe to be called monolith. This invloves each team having a large monolith thing which drains the other teams magic so no spells may be cast til the opposing team destroys their opponents monolith.
This could be just based in one game or you could use some sort of save/load system so you may keep your character for every match you play. The different arenasare all leveled and have a variety of environments like ice, volcanic, desert.....Some may have objectives in like an evil village controlled by a necromancer who you can kill to gain treasure etc.

Tournaments can also be held with unique items and spells up for grabs or maybe just plenty of cash.
The races I have thought about are: Human, elf, Sub-human (so mutants), orcs, and some sort of lizard race much like argonians from the elder scrolls games. Also you can have the options of becoming a vampire, were-creature and undead.

Quite complicated I know but theres a lot more details like particular spells etc that I have written down here in a large folder.

So then, what do people think? Comments will be helpful as so far from previous posts I have received a less-than-social response. Please tell me if I have confused people about anything and ill try to put it across in simpler terms.

Ta

Last edited:
Level 12
I like the elements and game modes alot (Not sure how monolith will play out........
I'm a bit worried its too big a map for eanyone to stay motivated to do and stick with.......

I'm thinking......
What specifically do you think each spell would be good for?

Level 2
What specifically do you think each spell would be good for?

Are you asking what each spell is good for, or each spell type?

If its spell it can be anything really but if its type I thought it would have alot to do with the environment. So if you use water magics then being near water gives a bonus or if on dry rock you get an earth bonus etc. Each one will have a variety of spells but usually geared towards one thing like fire is a very attacking spell type while earth quite a defensive one. Puppetry lets you fight without being in the action directly and light (which is both the literal sense and 'holy') lets you heal yourself. I also thought that shadow magics could do 'shadow damage' which is basically taking away mana.

Status
Not open for further replies.