• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Looking for some feedback on a scenario idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Yesterday I was playing some Warcraft III scenarios when it struck me to how I could finally pull together an older idea of mine from the grave I had shelved a year ago. I nicknamed it Lords of Outland and it was your basic village builder set in Outland. I went as far as getting halfway done with the terrain when I decided to scrap it. The ideas that struck me was how control points were used in other scenarios and maybe with a little diversity in what can be controlled I could put it into my older map idea and finish it.

The scenario will be based around the time of World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade. So far I have yet to put more thought into what races/factions you can choose to play as, but originaly I had the Sha'tar, Bladespire Clan, Burning Legion, and Illidan's Forces as playable factions and will likely keep them seeing as they are the four largest factions vying for control of Outland.

On the thought of control points I had invisioned three types. Monoliths, Portals, and Fortresses. Each offering your faction bonuses such as zonewide/worldwide buffs (Monoliths), additional units (Portals), and defensive positions (Fortresses).

Monoliths:
- Auchindoun Spirit Towers (Terokkar Forest)
- Manaforges (Netherstorm)
- Twin Spire Beacons (Zangarmarsh)
Portals:
- Death's Door (Blade's Edge Mountains)
- Portal Clearing (Zangarmarsh)
- Stairs of Destiny (Hellfire Peninsula)
- Twilight Ridge (Nagrand)
Fortresses:
- Auchindoun (Terokkar Forest)
- Black Temple (Shadowmoon Valley)*
- Gruul's Lair (Blade's Edge Mountains)**
- Hellfire Citadel (Hellfire Peninsula)
- Oshu'gun (Nagrand)***
- Shattrath (Terokkar Forest)
- Tempest Keep (Netherstorm)

* My thoughts on Black Temple were to have the Ruins of Karabor as monoliths but then decided to have both sides of the ruins be fortresses before scrapping the idea for just having the whole of the Black Temple being one fortress instead.
** Originaly planned to have Bladespire Hold to be capturable but decided to change it to Gruul's Lair to leave the option open for Bladespire Hold being the starting location for the Bladespire Clan of ogres.
*** When thinking if I wanted to add another fortress I had decided with Halaa originaly, but after reading about Oshu'gun had decided to change it to something all factions may have a desire for.

Another feature I am thinking on is the use of special faction-oriented summons that you can spawn for a limited time before they despawn. Such as spawning A'dal to heal nearby units or Illidan Stormrage to join the fight.

So far this is all I have put thought into, but over the next several nights want to get the basic layout for the terrain over with. Tell me what you think of it and any thoughts you may have that you want to add.

Last edited:
Level 15
summoning illidan in flesh doesnt sound logical ti me - he wouldnt go and find for his slaves - some sort of an immense spell (illidan was one of the most powerful sorcerers in the past) would make more sense.

deathwing lair (though partially ruined) may be a fortress too

also, dont forget tempest keep

Level 3
Your right about the summoning spells. Thinking on it again, someone like Illidan would rather yell at or destroy those who dare bother him with whatever he was doing.

Looking towards the playable factions I'm thinking on splitting Illidan's Forces into several. Illidan's Naga, Fel Horde, and the Blood Elves to help in making playing as Illidan's Forces less complex. That way instead of playing as all three crunched together to make one force, three seperate but allied forces.
The other factions would be the Burning Legion, Sha'tar with the Aldor and Scryers, and the Bladespire Clan of ogres. Making a total of eight playable factions spanned over four seperate forces.

Another idea I have is the addition of mineral deposits hidden across the map. Minerals offer additional gold and sometimes will drop gems that can be carried by units increasing a stat on the unit that holds it. Just to add some kind of reward for exploring the continent.

Level 15
you can also make use of Nagrand and Blade's Edge arenas. Like, you can challenge enemy Hero to fight your Hero in the Arena. If he loses, you get certain benefit (maybe his fortrss?) and he loses smth and vice versa

Level 3
Maybe. Right now I need to concentrate on the terrain first prior to starting on the rest. :hohum: Got a bid sidetracked a bit ago and started on another project, then decided to scrap that and get back to making Outland. It did give me a couple ideas though that might be useful.

Basicaly the fortresses could be converted to dungeons with the exception of a few. Completing them could unlock heroes, additional units, ect. As examples, defeating Illidan in the Black Temple could unlock either Akama or Maiev to fight alongside you or defeating M'uru in Tempest Keep will give you the ability to create blood knights. But most of the other bosses will just drop useful items.

As a bonus, player friendly bosses could offer buffs and other helpful things of use to the player. With the exception of Illidan of course, who'd just kill you if you bothered him. Say with enough resources, Kael'thas could summon a phoenix to fight your enemies and A'dal would heal nearby allied units much like a fountain of life would as a couple of examples. - CaffeineMonkey

Level 15
then each faction will possess a fortress they must protect, no? illidari wouldnt fight illidan, sha'tar wouldn't touch m'uru, bladespire ogres wouldn't wage war against gruul

Status
Not open for further replies.