• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Hero Arena] Arena based on World-PVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I really like "Angel Arena" - i Think the idea is great, even tho it is implemented horribly.

For those who don't know, Angel Arena is a Hero Arena type map that combines PVP and PVE elements. Players need to farm mobs to gain levels and gold at the same time they fight ( or avoid ) players from the opposing team, in a open world with areas divided by mob levels ( similar to RPG areas, where after hitting level cap in one area you move to the next to continue leveling ).

The map has a ton of problems:
- No team cooperativity. Everyone is a damage type hero.
- No scaling spell power, meaning magic users get weak pretty fast.
- Completely inbalanced. Anime characters are known to be completely broken.
- Poor terrain design.
- Poor item design.
- Poor ability design. Feels like all heroes were done in a rush, with non-synergistic, uninteresting abilities.
- Matches with my friends could take up to two hours.
- Duels between heroes end in seconds - everyone deals a ton of damage, but is also very weak.

I wish to create a map that uses the same "open-world" PVP idea that Angel Arena does, but fixing many of its flaws.

The map:
Completely assimetrical map, divided in level ranges. Both teams will have their base at opposite sides on the map, at their own 1-10 level zone. After hitting level 10, heroes will then need to go to higher level zones where they will level up in the same area as the other team. The idea is that after hitting level cap ( 60ish? ) players will then focus on destroing the opposing team's base to win the game.

Each map area will have a theme ( desert, forest, blight etc )

Because of the large size of the map, there will be a teleportation sistem that connects the main base of each team to all other areas in the game. There will be a delay and warning prior to hero teleportation to avoid ambushes.

Quests, and Events:
I don't want action to just focus on one area of the massive world map. Logically, after hitting level cap in a zone, players will have no incentive to go back to it.

Quests and Events will be the answer to that, giving players objetive in lower level areas. The objectives won't be low level: my idea is that quests will summon high level monsters in low level areas, constantly renewing the world and giving players a reason to go "back".

Angel arena has a "duel" event that forces two players from opposing teams agains one another, both being choosen at random. It works well for angel arena becaus everyone is a DPSer, but in my map, each hero will have its role. Because of this, I want to create a arena located at the center of the map where players can talk to a NPC to arrange fights with someone from the opposing team. The fight will only occur if the challenged accepts. Winners team wins gold.

Stat Balancing:
This is a tough one. The STR-AGI-INT sistem is largely unefficient for long term scaling and balance, mainly due to the agility stat, that grants percentage-based bonus that tend to scale way too well in the late game.

Right now, the only option i see is removing the stats bonus from attributes, using them only as a ability modifier EG A mage type hero could benefit from intellect to increase the damage value of his spells. The level-up stat bonus would be added via triggers. I am really not sure about this so please tell if you have a better idea.

To prevent gold mob stealing and promote teamplay, gold and xp in a team will be split, so each hero is equally powerful.

Items:
Recipe based sistem, where a simple item combined with another will create a more powerful item.

One cool feature that i would like to add ( from angel arena ) is boss-dropped ingredients, so that in order to craft some items, a player will need to kill a specific boss ( or a boss in a level range ).

Heroes:
Each hero will have a role, divided in damage, healing, tanking and disabler. Heroes will have 3 primary skills and one ultimate.

Even with the class division thing, i still want heroes to be kinda self-sufficient in the PVE environment. Every hero will be able to deal area damage and farm efficiently.

I think role-specific quests would be cool too, potentally rewarding unique, exclusive items.

Conclusion:
A arena map with a big, interactive world map. Would it be any fun? Are there too many of these arount already? Please tell me what you think.

Last edited:
Level 15
Woa, I was just thinking about how stupid most hero arena are. The spells were just shockwave based spell with oversized special effects, and the battle were just whose cast more spells win.

Adding the support type hero (and other role) is maybe a good idea, it will make "team" has proper meaning, because most time people will go solo.
But, i can be bad too if the spells are badly organized. Maybe people wont use those support.

IMO, for this kind of hero arena with various roles, go check "Dissidia Arcade" on youtube. Its a hero arena game, 3vs3. Each characters have different roles, yet they all fun to use.

I also agree with "Stats to modify ability power". Might be better if you let the player choose different typw of ability by upgrading different stats. What i mean is like for example, a sword master has a slashing ability. The strength will be increase the damage, agility will increase slash count, and intelligence will increase are of effect. So that abiloty can become major killer only to 1 enemy, or damaging decently for a big area. Thats a rough idea. This kinda inspire from Vainglory (mobile MOBA game), where almost all hero can has 2 different ability effect.

Another big important thing you need to consider, is having better shop system. Most hero arena I played, i spent like 10 minutes when game start to figute out the item shops (the enemies already level 10). Currently there are some cool systems here to make somekind of window, that can be used as shop.
And then, you alsl can use that to have more interseting hero selection, thats not confusing

I'll put some mpre thought later when i have free time :D

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

No team cooperativity. Everyone is a damage type hero.
How strictly would you want to give each character a role? E.g. LoL enforces 1:1:2 with jg, where each champions only fits to a lane or two.
No scaling spell power, meaning magic users get weak pretty fast.
It'd be awesome to have spells' damage output scale off of hero attributes along with base damage increasing each level.
Completely inbalanced. Anime characters are known to be completely broken.
Note that you need to reason out why there exists balance. In LoL, the balanced stats are explained by having the champions summoned into the universe, e.g. Aurelion Sol, a celestial dragon, being shrunk to fit among others.
Duels between heroes end in seconds - everyone deals a ton of damage, but is also very weak.
Games like that are truly cancerous. I'd gravitate towards WC3 melee atmosphere.

Level 5
Adding the support type hero (and other role) is maybe a good idea, it will make "team" has proper meaning, because most time people will go solo.
But, i can be bad too if the spells are badly organized. Maybe people wont use those support.

I think adding damage spells to healers will be enough incentive for players to use them. I've briefly even thought about completely removing the damage class - then, there will be disablers, healers and tanks. It makes sense to do that because every class will be able to deal damage, but only one classe heals. Removing the damage role will have everyone responsible for damage dealing, while having another "responsability" based on their class, be that tanking, healing or diabling.

IMO, for this kind of hero arena with various roles, go check "Dissidia Arcade" on youtube. Its a hero arena game, 3vs3. Each characters have different roles, yet they all fun to use.
I didnt really understand what dissidia is about.

I also agree with "Stats to modify ability power". Might be better if you let the player choose different typw of ability by upgrading different stats. What i mean is like for example, a sword master has a slashing ability. The strength will be increase the damage, agility will increase slash count, and intelligence will increase are of effect. So that abiloty can become major killer only to 1 enemy, or damaging decently for a big area. Thats a rough idea. This kinda inspire from Vainglory (mobile MOBA game), where almost all hero can has 2 different ability effect.
Thats a great idea! Even tho I think it would be hard to balance stat effectiveness, since a increve in spell area, for example, would massively help some spells and wont be so good for others. Spells would need a custom modifier applied to stat bonuses.
Another big important thing you need to consider, is having better shop system. Most hero arena I played, i spent like 10 minutes when game start to figute out the item shops (the enemies already level 10). Currently there are some cool systems here to make somekind of window, that can be used as shop.
And then, you alsl can use that to have more interseting hero selection, thats not confusing

I'll put some mpre thought later when i have free time :D
Yeah item shop is a big problem. What shop system would you suggest?

How strictly would you want to give each character a role? E.g. LoL enforces 1:1:2 with jg, where each champions only fits to a lane or two.
Im not sure. I think the only requirement will be one tank and one healer, since the map can be played by teams of various sizes.
Note that you need to reason out why there exists balance. In LoL, the balanced stats are explained by having the champions summoned into the universe, e.g. Aurelion Sol, a celestial dragon, being shrunk to fit among others.
That shouldnt be hard to do

Level 15
didnt really understand what dissidia is about
Umm.. dont mind it. In that game all hero are damaging type, but some have extra support buff. There is no direct support abiloty in there. But I think thats not what you want. So dont mind it.

Even tho I think it would be hard to balance stat effectiveness, since a increve in spell area, for example, would massively help some spells and wont be so good for others.
So that why those attribute modifier not same on every spell. Some spell might be better without those modifier. It need to be create differently each spell. And for more example, in Vainglory game, attack speed and total HP can be used too to modify spell. It will be a ton of work o_O So dont overuse it

Yeah item shop is a big problem. What shop system would you suggest?
I havent check any of them so i dont know. I only saw it when its featured on Hiveworkshop facebook page a couple weeks ago.

xp in a team will be split, so each hero is equally powerful.
This will be like Heroes of the Storm, so it will work well

If you managed to create it it will be one of the best hero arena XD In here I only found 2 or 3 proper hero arena (with not really interesting name so i cant remember them)
By adding supportive roles (and other), thats mean the game shouldnt too fast paced. But at same shouldnt slow because it will be too boring killing creeps for quite long time.
Also, this mean the map shouldnt all visible. Maybe only leave first and second stage that all visible, the rest of stage will have fog of view. it will give more strategy gameplay. I'm still not sure though Xd

Level 5
So that why those attribute modifier not same on every spell. Some spell might be better without those modifier. It need to be create differently each spell. And for more example, in Vainglory game, attack speed and total HP can be used too to modify spell. It will be a ton of work o_O So dont overuse it
Yeah, the idea that stats other that attributes modifying abilities is nice too. Like "Shield Slam" deals more damage base on the caster's armor.

I havent check any of them so i dont know. I only saw it when its featured on Hiveworkshop facebook page a couple weeks ago.

This will be like Heroes of the Storm, so it will work well

If you managed to create it it will be one of the best hero arena XD In here I only found 2 or 3 proper hero arena (with not really interesting name so i cant remember them)
By adding supportive roles (and other), thats mean the game shouldnt too fast paced. But at same shouldnt slow because it will be too boring killing creeps for quite long time.
Also, this mean the map shouldnt all visible. Maybe only leave first and second stage that all visible, the rest of stage will have fog of view. it will give more strategy gameplay. I'm still not sure though Xd

Yes, just ike hots. About the visibility, angel arena was all map visible all the time. My idea, however, is to disable fog during the day and enable it during the night, so that ganinking unsuspecting players will be encouraged at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.